Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Help on Low Alternate Butterfly

Login/Join to Participate

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
I've got the hang of the alternate butterfly over the shoulders, but when i try to bring the low wave together into a butterfly in front and behind, I can't keep them from tangling. Anyone have a tip to help me out?

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
:steps in before poiaholic22 refer's me here:

this moves seems a little dificult at first.

if you chop the move up in to sections as a continuos move you will see
1-2-1-2-1 left hand
2-1-2-1-2 right hand

this tells you that beat 1 is infront of you and beat 2 behind you, thus leaving you with one hand infront and one behind and alternating with the beats.
if doing this move as a forwards move, when you place your poi behind you, hold them between your thumb and finger, so as you place your poi behind you have you thumb and finger pointing to the ground, this will make the pass behind you feel some what smoother. [its about directing your poi in any move]
your will probably notice you are trying to put them behind, with your elbow tight to your body with your elbow at a 90 degrees possition this doesn't work because you are not guiding your poi, dont worry about it, its just a learning curve. [i remember this move was a real bitch to learn for myself i wish you luck]

progression:
my special signature move that i have never seen any one do it accept a select few i have taught, is based on this move and goes a little like this: [never even posted this move before either so you a lucky one]
1-2-2-1-2-2-1 left hand
2-1-2-1-2-1-2 right hand
what a head fuck but its good practice for help with turning butterflies and enabling more control and fluidity in transitions.

[ 27. January 2003, 10:17: Message edited by: PK [Dust-Punk] ]

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Biggest girly tip I can give you is to swing your hips.

Put your poi down for a second and let your arms hang down beside you. Then it is time to do a funky dance move. You are going to swing your shoulders forward, one after the other, so that your upper body turns. I am kinda bringing to mind that sixties style dancing where the person lools like they can't decide which direction to head in (turn upper body left, turn upper body right). You will find that as you get into it your hips swing, and your arms start to move alternating in front and behind.

Okay, pick up your poi again. I am going to hope that they are soft cushiony poi at this point. Rather than starting from a butterfly, just start doing that move describe above. The poi are going to flop around a lot. And that is when you can start creating the move. Your body is moving right, you just need to add in the in front and behind circles. Give it a try and figure it out.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
cheers rozi i forgat about the hip twist, big big tip! helps with any wall plane move wether infront or waistwrap style twisting is the key.
be kewl.

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
I had some troubles with that move and what I did wrong was that i didnt swing the pois evenly when I put my hands together (espesially with the outward BF)...so when one poi went faster that the other it tangled around the other chain.....

but another thing is that if you can controll the way they tangle and untangle them into some move then you have a really nice airwrap
I cant do it all the time but it's fun when it happens....

other than that it's all practise and feel what your doing........
thats all.....no dancesteps from me

I like Fire.. :)

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Master PK you might want to respond to this one.

DOH!!!!!
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
How bout that you already did.

[ 27. January 2003, 19:47: Message edited by: poiaholic22 ]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
lmao hehe i beat you to it for once mate

i was in stealth mode just sat waiting for that post, varumphhhhh i was there like a strapon sally in sadam's arse.

:goes away to hide:

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Do it it reverse

I reckon all butterfly stuff is easier in reverse except about three moves.

Happy spinning

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Agreed about doing it reverse to start with... it's a lot easier that way

"Moo," said the happy cow.

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
I think I worded my question poorly ... perhaps I should have called the move I'm having problems with 'behind-the-back' butterfly (over the hips as opposed to the shoulders).

1-2-1-2-1 left hand
1-2-1-2-1 right hand

I can strobe them just fine, but as I bring them closer together their paths cross, so I figure I'm just holding my hands wrong. Thumbs should be down, one hand should be lower than the other - the one that crosses first in front?

Thanks for your help again guys

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
1-2-1-2-1 left hand
1-2-1-2-1 right hand

so you just want to switch front to BTB butterfly? [both hands go behind at the same time then back in front at the same time]

tip : bend knees, one hand slightly above the other, you will get both hands together. it will help learning to do several beats behind the back to start to get the feel of it, then progression wil enable you to switch after one beat of each.

i agree reverse allways seems easier to do than a forwards. tip for the forwards, is to push your hands down with the flow when going behind, again with thumbs pointing downwards if holding poi pinched between your thumb and finger.

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
srry this is off topic...but i just wanted to let the good sir PK that that whole strapon sally and sadam bit was rather creppy...and that it will probably haunt me for the rest of my life....very nice sir

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by theblackunicorn:
and that it will probably haunt me for the rest of my life....very nice sir
glad to be of service i like to give nightmares

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I like that one, but sometime's I just tend to fall into:

1-2-1-4-1-7-5-8 left hand
2-1-2-1-4-5-7-8 right hand

The third beat could also be a 3. But for some reason I find that awkward.

Also, don't forget to "scoop" your hand back by your hips when transitioning from 1 to 2. You get much better girly hip movement. Always keep your hands close to your body, otherwise you look flaily.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your help, guys! I got it this afternoon... one last question, though... what do all the numbers in the post above me mean? I thought 1 was in front and 2 was behind, but 3-8 are new to me. Can someone explain for me? :-)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yea, I thought I knew what was going on there until 3s and 8s started appearing.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
all those random numbers is just NYC telling us how gratiously he fucks things up from time to time, either that or he cant grasp the new concept of my descriptions.
i find it makes things easier to visualize in text than a load of nonsense that takes forever to understand.
seems my mission was acomplished

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK, find, you caught me. I was just messing with PK. Sorry for the innocents that I've confused.

Actually, it arose from my utter lack of ability to do the 1-2-2-1-2-2 with one hand while doing 1-2-1-2 with the other.

Still workin' on it.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
1-2-2-1-2-2
1-2-1-2-1-2

woah! Tankx PK - that's a headf*k and a half to begin with but it sure makes you think. Me like

can only do it with right hand doing 1-2-2 at the moment though.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank