Dissolved Girlmember
70 posts

Posted:
hi to all the people out there, I'm from Italy and I don't know all the english names of the poi moves, cause in Italy we call them in a different way (ehm...obviously). the videos helped me alot to recognize them but I still don't understand AT ALL what's a butterfly weave.......... could anyone try to help me out or rather tell me where can I find videos with that move or other moves from TTN family?

thanks
Ape Regina

one.day.I.am.going.to.grow.wings.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
The easiest way I have found,and I say found because I came across this move by mistake,is to do a regular TTN but to the side instead of in front of you.Then just move your hands to the other side of your body and do a reverse TTN.Doing the weave is just doing that continously.When you get good at that then you can start turning with it.

If you are lucky master PK will browse this thread and respond.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yup, that's how I started doing it as well. Once you can do a TTN on either side of you it's easier than it looks... when you move your hands across don't try anything fancy, as the poi are already moving in the right direction to go into the TTN on the other side.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Think first that BF have 4 types,two forwards and backwards,then try to combine them all.

POI THEO(R)IST

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ok, I may as well ask this here. I was playing with this today but I read in another thread somewhere that you do the forward butterfly and turn 90 degrees and then move the butterfly over into a reverse on the the other side of your body.

Now this is pretty much the same as described above. Now I couldn't understand why people kept saying learn thread the needle before trying to do this and I think I figured out why today so my question is....

Is the reason why you have to hearn thread the needle something to do with the fact that you can do a normal forward butterfly 2 ways (left hand slightly higher and right hand slightly higher) and you have to swap between these to do the butterfly weave?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
exactly.

to do a bf weave you need to swap which hand on top on each side before moving to the other side.

however, notice that there are *four* bf weaves since you can do them with the leading hand on top or the leading hand on the bottom, forwards bf on the right or forwards bf on the left.

each one is kind of like doing a reverse weave with one arm and a forwards weave with the other which means you can lead under or over, whichever you are more comfortable with.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
man I really wished I'd known that before. Thanks gotta get my ass home and give that a bit more time. I nearly never tried it again yesterday.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Dissolved Girlmember
70 posts

Posted:
thank you!

Ape Regina

one.day.I.am.going.to.grow.wings.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
TTN thread started the other day please read.

comon guys post links.

i just read some answers on that thread, its worth reading.

as regards to TTN/ butterfly weaves, it is just as they sound.
first you learn the weave 2 beat then 3 beat [+] then reverse the butterfly and TTN then reverses, then you think about the butterfly/TTN weave.
simple.. look at the way you do the weave, now do it with the poi going in opposite directions. take a butterfly [not on wall plane] do it as you would do a weave, as you take it to the other side of you, it will then be reversed to what it was on the side you started on.
as you learn to switch sides more efficently you will understand them better and know what move you are doing. this section of the board is vast growing, aspecially in the simple moves.. more newbies coming in faster wanting better information of the simpler moves.

one think i have been working on this week is the 5 beat split time TTN weave, as i have been spinning over a year and a half and only just leaned this move, i would love to see others variations on this and to clarify its corectness, from my knoledge of moves and the way they are made up, this move is actually fuckin hard to do and it is not in any way simple. mr Kato has been doing some thing similar for quite some time and i noticed the other night that he has the same problem as me, its easier to pull one side than the other, if the pull on either side is not equal. then there is an imbalance of an extra beat by one poi, thus creating not a 5 beat split time TTN weave.
thanks to mr tempest for extra brain transplant not needed, for wanting to learn this move. but its kewl at least i know now what it is i need to work on.

anyway, i am away this week, i have access to HOP on a slow ass PC and my time for posting long descriptions is kinda limited for the time being, i hope this helps some people, but please bare with me untill i return to poi land.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by PK [Dust-Punk]:
comon guys post links
most of us do @ some time or another but i ain't a moderator and i don't always have time to do other people's searches for them.

*jumps back into bed and gets out on the right side this time*

you're right though - as the threads evolve from their original questions, it becomes really hard to remember where specific stuff is. there's two or three threads like this and when they all get over 20 posts or so i'll be buggered if i want to remember which one of the three has the triple stitch explanation in it...

thanks to malcolm (for putting in the new search) we don't have to remember where anything is any more

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by coleman:
jumps back into bed and gets out on the right side this time*[/QB]
haha sounds like me .

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
5 beat split time TTN.... very complicated sounding. Is it based on a doubled TTN (4 beats)?

I've probably invented a whole new move from misinterpreting this description

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
as with the 5 beat weave, you have 2 beats natural and 3 beats opposite. its a lot harder than a normal ttn weave because its split time and takes a lot of practice to get right and feel remotly comfortable with out taking a bashing from it right in the mush.
there is the variation from the double ttn to, so good point dio, tempest asures me theres a plit time version of the double, i cant see it cos you all ready push 2 beats from each poi working same time, will work on it as a group session next weekend at the uk gathering. theres gonna be a few masters t discuss things technically with, glass, me, tempest, minero, jez maybe coleman and the legend jo derry if we can prise him away from some young maiden.
i will get back to you on that move in a week or so, cos i am heading p to edinburgh for a few days with minero after the gathering.

Nicmember
18 posts

Posted:
PK, are you going to be spinning in Edinburgh?

Although i'm from South Africa, i'm living in Edinburgh at the moment. So if you gonna be spinning i'd like to have a look at some of these impossible-sounding moves you guys all talk about. Let me know. I know how little free time you can have when travelling though, so wont be offended if its not possible.

Gooi nat, or don't gooi at all.*Nic*

northernpyroSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
here is an awsome link to 3bt buterfly weave

web page

i can climb mountains

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
yya i love TTN variations, so far i have found (apart from the obvious regular 2btTTN forewards and backwards) a 4bt split time (foreward and reverse), and a 4bt Butterfly time (forewards and reverse, and a TTN weave (F and R) and im working on a 4bt TTNweave biggrin

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?