strawberryfiremember
10 posts

Posted:
Question, as a total newbie, and wanting more info, where did everybody learn how to do there thing? I only heard about it at the last magick happens in australia.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Hello Strawberryfire - glad to see you here on the board! You know my story, but here it is anyway:I learnt staff twirling one wild australia day weekend up the coast. James was kind enough to teach me some basic moves after I'd seen him playing (using old cotton tshirts for wicks and nailing them onto a broom,stick). And I was inspired from there!And don't forget to use the search function on the board, there is months and volumes of wisdom and advice to be found there.Ade (adrianne)[This message has been edited by Ade (edited 09 August 2001).]

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I learned a lot from this web site, also from other spinners(easy to find at raves) and the rest was my own Ideas made into actions. It all comes with practice which is good cause it's really hard to put your strings down anyways.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

strawberryfiremember
10 posts

Posted:
raves arn't quite easy for me to get to with a two year old. i have a hard enough time keeping him away from my pratice broom stick! but thanks. anything is welcome since i'm sure my friends would like a brake from me pestering them!

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
um... I've heard there's a great book on staff twirling around wink you could try that...

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Circles of light is a nice video to watch some good spinning and get Ideas. The moves on this board are begginer friendly and if you go through the lessons you should have no problem finding new ways to manipulate your poi. It is a great idea to hit up any spots where large groups of caffine charged people kick it The beach is a great place at night around here. Spinning in the open where there are lots of people normally drags other spinners out to talk. I just want to say good luck and I hope you progress to levels you never imagined.Eric!!!WELCOME!!!(I forgot to say that in my last post)

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Strawberryfire,Hi. I was at Magick Happens too. smileI learnt how to poi by running back and forth between my computer and the back yard. I watched Malcolm's lesson animations over and over again until, with practice, it all clicked into place.When I felt more confident about my ability, I ventured onto the discussion board here. I eventually ended up hooking up with some Sydney fire people who over the last year have become some of my closest friends.It's definately easier to learn with the help of other people. I'm sure I would have picked things up much more quickly if I had had someone to show me how it was done. smileIf you feel like meeting some friendly fire people, come along to our Wednesday night fire gathering in Camperdown Memorial Park, Newtown. We're there each week from about 7-30pm.... unless it's raining or bitterly cold.See you soon,Finn smile

strawberryfiremember
10 posts

Posted:
ta everyone. this all helps!!