AstroBoymember
43 posts

Posted:
I just learned it!! and my face hurts alot.

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
Good job! I just got 5 beat reverse yesterday too, as well as reverse btb 3 beat. It feels so great to learn new moves, but you've got to be able to incorporate them into a fluid routine. Otherwise it's like learning a calculus method that has no real world application.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yay, well done! That damn reverse five-beat was probably one of the hardest moves I learnt... just couldn't get my head round it for ages!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I've been trying, any tips/hints, besides wearing a helmet?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yeah: wear a mask too.

i'm still avoiding this b*stard, just like i am the windmill the other way - i don't enjoy hitting my face or my head so i have to put up with having gaping holes in my move set. ah well

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
With the forward 5-beat you'll find that once you get used to it it flows very easily and that twisting your wrist round the other hand comes naturally.

With the reverse 5-beat it's harder to get this right... there's a tendancy for your hands not to twist far enough. On your right-hand side as your right hand twists under your left arm to spin the poi back over your right hand shoulder really make sure you're twisting it far enough... your fingers should probably come back over your wrist. And really make sure that your left hand pushes round to lead over to the left side of your body. I've also found the reverse requires you to actually move your hands across from one side to the other a lot more before unwinding them on the other side.

Hope that helps some

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Might give it some serious effort this evening and see what tomorrow brings, hopefully not black eyes.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
A bit of advice for 5 beat reverse:

It's just like forward with the wrist crossing action, but it seems to work best when you spin from your fingers. I love my finger loops, as they've helped give me that extra inch or two of space needed when learning multiple beat moves.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I've noticed it helps to carry your hands up to face level when learning reverse 5.Sometimes it helps me to close my eyes so I can feel the maneuver.Will be ugly at first but with time and practice it'll get smoother.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i think i should add that this is a very evil move!

I was doing it in my living room with my chains a couple of hours ago and hit one of the ceiling globe glass lights. I watched as the thing completely shattered in mid air and fell to the ground. It was great fun, very impressive, but my housemates arn't as impressed and are threatening to stop me from practicing indoors

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
yes the f*cking reverse 5 beat weave hey, i hate it it is the most evil move and it really leaves bruses on your face. i still cant get it after like 3 months of trying i think there is something wrong with me, i tend to bring my arms in as opposed to keeping them out because im scared of hitting my face over and over, its a very bad habit i cant seem to break.

I know im not a moderater but should shouldn't this be in the "official i just learned a new move thread"???

make love not war... geez

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

AstroBoymember
43 posts

Posted:
I found that my biggest problem was that I kept getting scared. So I would highly reccomend wearing protective gear while learning this move. I probably would have learnt it much faster.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Liquid Pop - nah, it took me a good 3 months of practising it on and off before I got it. Most of the problem I was having was with conceptualising the move... once I'd finally worked out exactly what went where it was just a matter of getting my wrists to bend enough. Of course, this did take a while as well

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I been practising and I *nearly* got it.. couple more days I reckon.. Good start to New Year!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..