Page:
4d1c3member
61 posts

Posted:
hey people,
how we all goin 2day do you actually do wraps with fire. i have been doin fire twirling with poi and staff for like a year and can do most of the moves on this site. but i have never tried a rap with a fire poi?

probably a stupid Q but yea

l8er

the risk is the rush

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
all wraps work the same with fire too, just play with wraps you can do cleanly, and ones that you cant practice with tennis balls before fire poi.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
We do em all the time with fire

Oh, and if you do it bare skinned you'll get little burns. I like denim sleves myself.

Be careful and have a safety ready to untangle you if you handcuff yourself.

And don't use fuel that transfers.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
NYC made an awesome pair of what I call glowstick wicks that he let me use at the DECOM.They were perfect for any kind of wrap that you would want to do.Though a word of advice,if you know how to do finger wraps be very careful trying them with cathedral or accordion wicks being that the weight of the wicks makes it very hard to pull your hands apart.One of my favorite wraps is doing leg wraps to put the poi out when the flame has died down.A bit of a novelty but people tend to enjoy it.

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
Personally I think it's a special breed of twirler who does wraps with fire, I belive this species contains the "W" or "Wrap" Chromosone this species has a larger IQ (INSANITY QUOTA) than the average twirler. As far as I can gather their are two sub species of this genus, Shirts and Skins. There following are the results of my studies.

Skins are almost always male and have the highest IQ (INSANITY QUOTA) of any twirler, they are more prone to fire breathing, and are easily regognisable by the distinctive markings on their bodies, which they diplay with pride. The Skins often fully aware of their high IQ (INSANITY QUOTA) and this is seen often through all aspects of their personality. But in some cases the reverse is also true, (read my paper entitled "Nobody Ever Expected it to be the Quiet Guy")

Shirts tend to wear full sleeves when they twirl, and can be either sex, this breed has an IQ (INSANITY QUOTA)slightly lower than their counter parts the Skins.

There have been many repoted cases when a Shirt has crossed over and became a Skin, perhaps due to a further chemical imbalance or a surge of testosterone, it is difficult for me to tell at this stage in my studies. I have also witnessed Shirts disguised as Skins, Although, at first glance they appear to be Skins look closely they may be wearing a barrier cream of some sort. Be on the look out for knowledge of water based lubricants, lectures on vassaline and other products. My hypothosis is that these Shirts in disguise are in the early stages of metamorphisis from Shirt into Skin. I am currently doing some field research into this subject.

I hope my information has proven vital in the answering of your question if not, I've spent a lot of time making information funny for nothing. Oh and one more thing Dicy, you might have wanted to do a quick search on this topic before you posted, it's been up a few times before.

From now on I would like to be called Dr. Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the magic kitten.

[ 28. December 2002, 00:09: Message edited by: Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the magic kitten ]

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

141 posts

Posted:
P.S. I'm a Skin, did you guess?

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

nasumember
35 posts

Posted:
Wrapping with fire..

Don't wrap with fire poi that are made with chain. Use 3/8's kevlar rope for your chain instead. and sew kevlar patches over any screws and metal bits on the heavy ends. Less metal is more..

You'll lose arm hair.. but get no marks..

Metal gets hot.. touches skin.. melts skin. No metal no marks.. simple as that.

You can always wrap kevlar rope up your chain aswell..

Displaying how stupid you are to put fire to your bare skin is not a sign of high IQ. Touting as soo will only get innocent spinners burned.

141 posts

Posted:
Nasu dude, chill out about the IQ, if you read the into to the post I've called IQ "Insanity Quota" at no point in time did I mention it to be intellegence. God, I know the difference between being a little crazy and just out right stupid!

My poi are Pure Flame and have wicks built around a thin wire tube. They have cable instead of chain which I prefer as it slides off smoothly. Most twirlers know the difference between percieved and actual danger, including how long it takes to burn through person. I see the risks in things I do and take steps in reducing them, spotters, wet tied back hair, segregated fuel area, first aid kit and saftey checks before I twirl. I urge other folk to to go about twirling to a similar way I do.

My earlier post was to do two things, the first was a brief report on people who do fire wraps and the second was to make light hearted commentry on what many of us have heard before, I never meant to undermine saftey, by any means, but I feel that the subject is serious enough when you are there in person so why beat down with hard lectures that have been heard so many times before, with a little humour the knowledge sticks better.

For the record IQ is INSANITY QUOTA in my earlier post.

If I've come off as defensive I'd like to appologise but when somebody misinterprets what I say and turn their incorrect opinion into criticism against me it hits a raw nerve.

Twirl Safe

INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA INSANITY QUOTA

P.S. I do like your kevlar rope idea, it sounds SAFE

[ 28. December 2002, 00:06: Message edited by: Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the magic kitten ]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You can also put a heavy leather "sleeve" over the chain and connector rings, which is what I do. No problems.

For the record, I am one of the evidentally rare (I did not know this) female Skins, and I have been doing this for a few years and only have two scars (at least from this). It's all about knowing the fuel, the fire and your flesh!

I think a very important thing about wraps with fire, and not getting burned, it to make sure you are comfortable getting in and out of the wrap with unlit wicks. The more practice you have unlit, the easier and safer it will be when lit.
Happy wrapping!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I have found that kevlar works a lot better for skin wraping, than cotton wicks. Cotton wicks tend to leave little bits of burning, fuel soaked cotton on you, plus (depending on construction) they tend to have a large amount of metal exposed. I like to use those kevlar wicks that malcolm sells. (the ones built on a tube of aluminum) they have only have two little screws which are resessed into the kevlar, and they don't leave chunks of burning stuff on you (and the screws are resessed enough to not touch your skin. then only thing on them that can burn you is the attachment point. but this danger can be minimized by not leting the poi touch you for more than a hundredth of a second. I call it a "POP" wrap (recoil) because you "pop" the poi off you skin. seriously, it takes some practice, but once you get it, you can skin wrap without getting burned (usually) (give the chain a yank right as it touches you skin, and try it unlit first)

With that being said, by all means, cover any metal parts that touch your skin, with kevlar or leather. I don't dig burning myself, and niether should you (unless you are a little more twisted that I )

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I think it is amusing that we can put safety and fire spinning in the same sentence.Is it not hard to believe that even the best of us screw up and get hurt occasionally?The common IQ would tend to say spinning fire around yourself is showing a lack of IQ.For all of you with a serious IQ the only time I've seriously done fire wraps I didn't even consider what I was wearing and I didn't have any bruises or burns.And I do a lot of arm and hand wraps.It seems to me sometimes some people are overly cautious.Oh and I am totally a Skin.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
all this talk about skin, takes me back to the days as a skin [skinhead][boots n braces].. oh well times change so do people.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
OK,first off I'm not gonna edit my post on the 28th becuz then no one is gonna know why I'm posting this one.

"The common IQ would tend to say that spinning fire around yourself is showing a lack of IQ"

When I made that post I failed to include that I was looking at fire spinning through the eyes of those who don't do it.While there are those who think it is one of the coolest things ever,I have met people who think I'm crazy or just damn stupid for even considering to do such a thing.For me to say that fire spinners are stupid people would be kind of ignorant being that I am one.

"I think it is kind of amusing that we can put safety and fire spinning in the same sentence"

Also how can anyone honestly think that fire spinning is safe?When you watch ESPN and see a dude riding a skateboard on a half pipe getting like 20 feet in the air do you think that is safe?Or if watch the Discovery channel and see divers swimming in a school of sharks to study their habits do you think that is safe?I was refering to it in that context though I understand how it could be mistaken.I would never knowingly suggest that someone be unsafe while spinning fire.I was more or less trying to say that fire spinning is a dangerous hobby and that like all dangerous activities we all get hurt no matter how safe we are wether we like it or not.

For those that this need apply:
ALWAYS,ALWAYS,ALWAYS BE AS SAFE AS YOU HUMANLY CAN BE WHILE SPINNING FIRE (OR BEAMERS FOR THAT MATTER).YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE YOU WILL RUIN IT FOR.

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
I tried a forearm wrap with my short poi when they were almost through the burn. We didn't think about the chains being metal - the burn it left wasn't that bad (ie didn't blister) but was a burn nonetheless...

So fairy lady made me some leather armbands. The leather only covers my forearms, so I can't do my bicep wraps Methinks I should find a way to cover the metal instead of my skin as you guys have done! Who wants to be surrounded by flame wearing long sleeves and long pants, anyways?

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

ThomasBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
I like the wraps. I pretty much only do them when I have a long sleeve shirt on or something else coving my arms. Done wraps with my 2.5" Ball Chain Poi. NOT good, I got me a nasty little scar now on my fore arm which hurt like hell when I done it, the burn was bad enough and when kero got onto it, my god!! Still love wraps though.

Thomas

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I usually wear sleeves or gauntlets(forearm protectors) spinning fire purely for arm wraps. Mine are made from heavy denim.... with some reflectors for flair.

I don't think that the fire head construction is the only thing to consider though. Cable or chain makes a big difference. Chain tends to disapate heat better. I can grab my ball chains within 2 inches of the cathedral head when burning without a problem - are barely warm. Cable on the other hand is a viscious heat retaining scar maker.

So much fire, so little body hair...

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
I totally agree, cable sux for wraps. U get like a 1 sec burn delay with cable, and it can also fray and cut your skin quite badly, add that to the burn and... well can u say

Chain has a good 3 second safety burn delay, maybee up to 5 but u can lose alot of speed with the weight tha chain has, so it really depends on what moves you want to be doing and also what clothes you are wearing @ the time.

I was really into cable for awhile and at the time thought it was better for hyperloops, but if u tangle a loop with cable u get a kink in it, and eventually it splits and ruins your poi, unless u change cable's once a week.

Its all just smoke and mirrors

Elementalmember
9 posts

Posted:
Wraps.

Go check out the picture gallery of premonut. youll see the armor I wear for wraps. I wear rubber innertube armor built by me. It protects my arms from the fire. I love to do wraps... its an insane feeling. I find it difucult not to wrap. The rubber is lined with leather to give some breathing space for the skin, and to make it more comfortable.

Peace,

P-Nut

Cmaiden890BRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
I do wraps with fire on bare skin myself (you can see me in a video if you go to https://www.flamingsphere.homestead.com/divxencoded.html
and then go to the video called "Another Beginning" I am the 2nd one up).

I myself have the metal tube cores with the ball chains. I have not yet done the kevlar wrapped around the exposed metal like Nasu has told me to do in the past because I have just not gotten around to it.
I do get some burns, but then I use a burn cream and or spray soon after I am done to keep the burns clean and help healing. I would say that if you have more than one set of poi, that helps also becasue while one is being soaked and cooled, you can use the other one to spin. The worst thing you can do is to resoak and then spin again with the same poi if you are going to do bare skin wraps. If the heat is not all gone then you are only adding to it and getting to a point where you will "melt" skin on contact. Believe me, the shower afterwards will hurt if you do not follow this suggestion.
Be really careful though when it comes to bare skin wraps if you are going to be sensative about your possible scars when you are done.

Contact me direct:
AIM- cmaiden890
Email: c_maiden(at)hotmail(dot)com

snap dragonnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Play with get burned...... umm who would of thunk it????
burns are burns I do bare skin wraps Over 3.000 shows this year alone... body still looks damn good.

snap dragonnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Play with fire, get burned...... umm who would of thunk it????
burns are burns I do bare skin wraps Over 3.000 shows this year alone... body still looks damn good.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I do hand wraps, and bicep wraps in short sleeves, and I gotta say, in the hundreds of times I've done these, I've never really burned myself. Sure theres been a few "sore" spots, but they usually heal the next day, but accidents do happen ( luckily I havn't had one, yet) so I recommend caution when trying these 'cause there is always the possibility of the chains tangling around your limbs. Always have a spotter with a wet towel standing by.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
<=== Shirt

Sometimes when i'm spinning and realized my sleeves are up, i slide'em down and just wait till my arms are covered so i can wrap...i find it extremely satisfying when theres an audience and you wrap, and it shocks them

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: snap dragon

Play with get burned...... umm who would of thunk it????

you do like 12 shows a day every day??? no wonder your bod looks good - that's a lot of excersize!

anyway - I do wraps on bare skin with fire all the time.

I uused to get burned a lot, but the combination of my increasing skill with wraps and (probably more significantly) the fact that my skin has adapted to the conditions mean that I rarely get burned anymore. In fact, i am quite certain I can be exposed to heat and fire for severl times as long as I used to be before getting burned - at least in the areas regularly exposed - hands and arms for sure. Or maybe it is more that I have a MUCH better idea of what kind of heat exposure does what kind of damage and I no longer have a snap adreniline reaction when exposed to intense heat, giving me more control and a better sense of time?

anyway the only area that I get burned a lot anymore is the tender skin on the inside of my arms just below the armpits. And I tink that happens to be mostly from the way the poi bounces there - must catch more metal than when I wrap around my forearms because my forearms get a lot more wraps which certainly stay in contact with the skin 2 or 3 times as long (same for my legs) and I very rarely get burns there except for the very superficial kind that don't bother me or leave a mark for longer than a couple days. but the tender skin of the uper inner arm is definitely much easier to burn with lots less heat exposure than tougher areas regardless. also, I haven't been doing wraps that involve this area for more than about 9 months, and I think it took other areas of my body longer than that to adapt - like a year or so. I have noticed the burns I do get in the armpit region are less than they were 6 months ago though - again that may be due to increasing skill with these wraps. still thinking about making some leather protectors for my upper arm though.

even the more serious burns I do get don't really bother me anymore. I baby them anyway just to be sure they don't scar. keep 'em moist and protected for a week so the dead skin doesn't peel off and 6 months later you won't ever be able to tell there was a bad burn there.

ok, that was a longwinded way of saying that, yes, you will get burned, sometimes pretty bad, but that it will cease to bother you so much after a while and you body will adapt to it to a degree. of course you should always take precautions against injury, but also you'll get used to it and find that you can eventually push things father and get hurt less. I know a traditional style hawaiian fire performer who keeps large flames in contact with his body for extended amounts of time and he never gets burned even though I am quite sure I would have blisters from the same exposure. I'm sure his skin is probably ageing faster because of this, but then again, it probably retains more moisture on a day to day basis, so maybe not...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
ummm.... I wear a t-shirt... I try to wrap around the tiny little sleeves on it, but sometimes I just wrap around skin. I guess I'm just a half breed. anyways, I was swinging at the garden of eden festival and I ran out of kerosene, so this other fire swinger that was in the area offered me some white gas. I figured "sure, why not" and I proceded to swing. I didn't realize that white gas will spash and burn. as kerosene will not burn if it does infact splash. anyways, my first leg wrap I did proved to be dangerous. if you're gonna do fire wraps, be smart about your fuel over being smart about your long sleeves. a small metal burn is a small, superficial surface wound that will hurt for a little while then be gone. now if you catch your leg on fire.... that might be a little more serious. take care and be careful and don't burn down the forest.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
I think it would be interesting to see what kind of fuel these various people are using who say they either get burned or don't get burned.

I haven't burned in ages, but when I used to burn I got very used to doing wraps and barely ever even singed hairs. I was using lamp oil at the time.

Then I had to use white gas one time, and got all these burns all over. Obviously because of higher burning temp. So I only do bareskin wraps with pure lamp oil. Even mixtures seem to be a little high temp for wraps for me.... But i'm a big wussy.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

little nickBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
I use paraffin when i burn and the only times it hurts when i do wraps are when the metal bolts or the chains hit me because they are so hot.
I think the whole point of swinging fire is the danger feeling that you get as you know that if you make a mistake you will get burnt.
A simple theory: if you drive a car long enough eventually you will crash - if you swing fire poi long enough you will get burnt!!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
white gas splatters will continue to burn sometimes. this is why it is very important to have a safety when using white gas. however, you actually have a bit of time before you get burned as as the white gas burns, there is a degree of evaporative cooling going on, and you have a couple of seconds for the flames to be put out before anything more significant than a minor sunburn-like effect occures. when using white gas, I save all the wraps for the second half of the spin so there isn't enough fuel left for splatters.

truthfully, I get burned more with parrafin than white gas - the longer burn time heats up the metal more I think. or maybe it is because I know the parafin won't burn when it splatters and I do wraps when the flames are bigger and hotter at the beginning? those two arguments aren't really compatable, but just guesses.

that isn't to say the worst burns I have seen were from parrafin - just that I get more from it. I think the worst I have seen were from white gas and lack of a safety.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Fuel?? I used to spin straight kerosene but got tired of choking on the fumes so I switched to straight white gas for a while and I haven't noticed a difference in temperature. I'm kind of anal about spinning off the excess fuel before lighting up because I've seen lots of burning fuel flung off fire toys that weren't properly spun off and I usually don't attempt any wraps until I've been spinning for at least two minutes.

So far, so good

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
ive had a couple of little sunburny type burns, and once i had a weirdish blister, but that was after 6 burns that night. you could say the hardware was a little warm.

kero/paraffin doesnt seem to burn hot enough to do serious damage if the heads hit you. its all ive used, never had any serious problems. didnt spin off enough one night, did a leg wrap, and got some in my eye once though. that hurt like nothing ive ever had in my eye before. did the rest of the spin with my eyes closed.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
Anyone experience with Citronella Oil?? I thought it was just the same as lampoil, only with a disgusting smell, but my fire eat routine...
I do trails without leaving trails, and with normal lampoil that is no problem for me, but when I did it with Citronella oil (couldn't find something better) I got burned Immediately, very, very fast, without metal exposed, only cotton...

|| "Is True Mastery of the Elements But a Dream?" ||

Page: