SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
Hey, this is kind of more of a glowsticking move because i don't know if you can do it with fire (not much experience with fire yet, only done it 5 times). I have a problem with this move, let me try to explain. Okay, your doing a weave and you turn either right or left into windmill position, but instead of going into reverse weave or windmill you do a double wristwrap on your wrists (or fingers, not sure yet) anyway it gives the illusion like the circle is big then it goes really small and then grows big again. I've been practicing this for a while but i have a really hard time getting the poi to wrap around both my wrists at the same time because when i push one forward to let the other wrap the other one can't wrap on anything cuz it's too far out, the way i've been doing it is by just putting my hands together like i'm praying and letting ir wrap then with all my might pull out of it, but that hardly ever works. Maybe one of you could tell me how to do this move properly. Secondly are wraps safe with fire? or just recoils? (dunno if those are the same but what i seem to have observed is that recoils are like reversing the poi with a kick or something.)

Thank you very very much,
Saggy

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
sorry bro would help you but i cant do wraps, i can but i refuse to do them.

SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
No probs, just have to say "ode to the speediness!"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
lol

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Shaggy, shaggy shaggy, they sound like handcuff wraps. Have you checked the Definitive List of Wraps?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
PK: why do you refuse to do wraps? I've just started learning them properly to increase the number of transitions possible. I can see an added danger from doing them (and have no intention of trying things like neck wraps), but things like kicks shouldn't be too dangerous.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
It just takes a little bit of practice to get comfortable with the wrap. Try keeping your hands a few inches apart between the palms, but keep them even at the tips. You want both strings to wrap around both hands or wrists at the same time.

Also, some form of finger strap or noose is invaluable. Not necessarily saying this is the case, but most of the purely glowstick spinners I have ever seen just use laces or something along those lines. If you pinch the laces between your thumb and middle of your forefinger, you aren't leaving enough of your hand for the string to wrap around. The point where the string pivots from your hand is too far out, and the string will tend to roll right off at least your pinky finger and screw the wrap up. Either buy or make some finger straps, and they will allow you to move that pivot point closer to your hand (as close as possible). Then you have a lot more clear space to wrap on.

And it is more than possible to do with fire. Anything can be done with fire. Just use protection.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
Thanks, yeah, i practice with tennis balls on shoe laces, but i spin stix with shoelaces too, except i hold the lace on my index and middle finger, should i change the way i hold them or something because your directions are clearn, just should i hold them a different way?

Saggy

P.S. What exactly do you mean by "protection"?

RaverShokmember
17 posts

Posted:
I know exactly what move you're talking about and I like to call it the "spiral wrap" (umm, because thats what it looks like ). Basically the easiest way to do it is to do a forward weave and just before you transition into a reverse weave 180 just slap your hands together in a prayer position (It also helps to keeps your hands at an angle).Just before the strings wrap and reach your hands, pull your hands back out as hard as you can and go into the forward weave again, or whatever you like. I do these from windmills (looks awesome), forward and reverse weaves, wraps, and btb weaves. Its one of my most favorite moves. I have yet to burn my hands off doing that move with fire (accidental entanglements), maybe I'll try it if with fireproof gloves.

peace, ravershok
stringy people
san antonio, TX

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i've been playing with this too recently.
been trying to work it out for a good while and only just had a friend suggest a decent method.
i haven't tried doing it wrapping the hands in the same plane. it might not look as good if its done the way i do it and i don't know how much easier/harder it is cos i haven't tried the other ways listed above but anyway...

i wrap one poi on the opposite wrist/arm and stick the fingers of the wrapped arm out so the other poi wraps round (the fingers of the hand holding it).

what i like about doing it this way is that the arm-wrapped poi tends to recoil out leaving the arm getting wrapped free to move a little.
this means you can control the speed and spin of the hand-wrapped poi on the unwind and should be able to get both poi in exact split time on the way out.
secondly, because it all wraps on the same arm, you don't need to be able to get your hands together so you can do it on either side of your body.
lastly i'm guessing that because the poi are not in the same plane, there may well be less chance of tangles - i haven't had one yet.

i like the name spiral wrap

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
Thank you, i'll have to try that both ways and record myself doing this, *gah what a burden* (i'll have my friend do it ). I still have to get lots of experience doing this. I know so many moves yet the world of wraps is even greater, before you learn wraps it's kinda like i was dancing and spinning to the rythym but after wraps it feels like i have so much more control because bouncing them off your arms and such as you spin is awesome when it hits you on the beat (except for when u smack yourself in the nuts or in the face and that's on the beat, it's kinda cool at first until the pain kicks in). Just one more question for you all that didn't really get touched, what kind of wraps can you do with fire? my outfit is like a white t-shirt and tight jeans when i spin, what kind of wraps can i do while wearing that and what preperations must i take???

Thanks again,

Saggy

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Coleman: Nice variation. I tried it and it looks really cool.

SaggyD: You say that you position your laces so that they come out from in between your index and middle finger without pinching it with your thumb? Does it ever leave raw spots from spinning too hard for too long? If not, then fine. Just move the pivot point as close to your hand as it will go, and it makes it a lot easier. If it does, then I would suggest buying or making finger straps. The Buzz Poi have an awesome setup. (You will probably have to add some weight to the bags, though. Open up a seam, pour in some tiny craft beads, and sew it back up.) They have finger straps and clips/swivels on the end to attach anything you like. Makes it very easy to change out glowsticks/lights. Or, you can take your laces and tie a loop in the end that is about 5 inches long if you straighten it out. Hold your hand out flat, palm down and fingers extended, and place the loop around your index and middle fingers. Let the lace hang down, and then (while keeping the loop in the same place around your fingers) pull it back up between those fingers. That makes a finger noose. It might help.

Also, any wrap can be done with fire. I usually wear a long sleeved t-shirt and a set of black cotton gardening gloves that you can get at any Wal-Mart.

::Waits patiently to see if anyone is going to call him out as a cheater::

Hell, you cover your legs. Why not cover your arms??? You can also go with a pair of black or striped socks (cotton only) with holes cut out to put your fingers through. Or you can get really elaborate and make leather arm braces like NYC and others have. It's all a matter of personal opinion.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
Glowshow, about the finger noose idea...the way you described it yields a loop that can be pulled away from the hand...The way I do my loops are with palm up, string up between index and middle finger, then loop over ends. This produces a loop that only gets tighter as you spin harder and has never slipped off. Just a suggestion though, everyone's got their own style, which is what's so great about this whole poi business.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
sweetness, maybe i'll make something like your talking about (gonna have to read over the directions a few more times lol). But yeah that's why i love poi too is because of everyones diff styles and you can learn so much from other people, and when u meet another spinner it's like you become instant friends, (especially if you have skills, but even if you don't begginers are welcome ) Thanks for the info, and 1 more little tiny itsy bitsy qeustion: Do you have to wet your clothes to do wraps?

Thanks,

Saggy

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
can you hear that........do you hear that? shh.... nature's calling. only wet the pants.

From the makers of soylent green.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i personally have never bothered wetting my clothes for wraps. i wear all cotton clothes when i spin fire and have never had any problems. i would imagine wet clothes would make for quite an uncomfortable spin.

you can find woven kevlar (or leather/denim etc) sleeves if you want to wear a t-shirt or no top but still do wraps.

broken dream - i tried your finger noose variation this weekend (i normally use the same one as glowshow described). it feels great and is super safe - no chance of the poi flying off even with completely straight fingers. i discovered a tiny problem though; i was spinning like this with fairly heavy poi for about 20 minutes and suddenly realised my fingers had gone blue!

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood