flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
To do a weave like motion where the poi are going in opposite directions, ie left hand is doing forwards weave and left hand doing backwards weave?

I'm desperate for some new moves which arn't just stupidly hard (i will learn reverse btb weave at some point) and just wondered if people have tried it and found it to be not possible, before I enter a painful testing session and possibly hinder my future reproductive capabilities

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Well, hmmm, try this. Do a butterfly on one side of your body, than bring the poi accross the front of your body and do the butterfly, in reverse direction, on the other side of your body. So like, do a reverse butterfly on your left side, than bring them across directly into a forward butterfly on the right side of your body. When you get that transition down you can move quickly back and forth so it's like a weave, albiet an odd looking one.

Just for clarification, when I say do a butterfly on the side of your body, I mean perpedicular to the plan of your body. Like start doing a normal butterfly in front of your face, than pivot your body 90 degrees but keep your hands and the butterfly in the same place, don't move them. Just in case, sometimes this wording thing can be hard

Oh yeah, you can add stuff on to this butterfly weave, like go behind your head, down to the side, over to the other side, and behind your head on that side, than back again. Plus if you keep on moving you can do full circles in the butterfly, kind of fun, don't know how it looks though.

This is most likely the TTN, thread the needle, I'm talking about, I think. I've never seen one and the little image for it on this site doesn't quite look like what I do, but it's at least close to.

[ 17. December 2002, 06:57: Message edited by: Jello ]

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Another thing to try: as above, but only move one hand across your body, so you have one poi on the left spinning forwards, and one on the right spinning backwards, then bring them back to a butterfly on one side... With a bit of practice, you can move either poi across your body, ie. left hand poi moves to righthand side (crossed arm split), then righthand poi moves to left side (butterfly on the other side), then lefthand poi moves (crossed arm split the other way)... Before too long you can get each one doing two beats on the crossed over side, and one on its own side, which is a 3bt weave where each poi is going in a different direction.
There are a few different ways of doing this, depending on whether the hand you cross over passes over or under the hand you leave where it is, or you can add in an extra beat of TTN on each side to do a 5bt version, or try it with split time butterflies rather than same time ones...
I kind of stumbled across these moves by accident, I was trying to learn 180 degree turns while doing TTN, and my hands kept wanting to do a weave pattern when I turned one way. Eventually I just let them get on with it, got it for about 4 times through, lost it and spent the next week trying to get it back...

-Have fun.

Ben

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
you could also try double TTN's [4 beats]if you want furter progression after that.
[not 2x TTN cos thats the easier one]
or try them all split time. [butterflies or TTN's] their all possible!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Jello: not exactly what i meant, but thanks for the new move! Just gave it a go and have gotten what you mean within a couple of minutes. Rather neat. Thread the needle is different, there's an animated gif of it in the lessons section of this site.

Tenticle: i'll give it a go tonight!

I'm totally up for learning butterfly variations. To this point i've really concentrated on weave variations because I personally think they look cooler, but when I do a routine i find myself doing 80% weave based moves and 20% butterfly, which gets a bit dull.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
PK: Thanks for the TTN tip. I can do TTN in the normal direction, never tried it in reverse, so will need to have a fair amount of practice before I can try this transition.

I just downloaded your fire video you posted in the "not so jedi" thread. Great clip, thanks! At about 1 minute 30 seconds into it you're doing what looks like the thing jello just taught me. Is this the butterfly weave?

Also at 38 seconds into it you're doing a move where both poi are spinning on circles (as they do) infront of you, not crossing but changing height independantly of each other. Looks pretty neat, is there a name for this move/transition? Are the chains shortened at this point or at full length?

I love the looks on the faces of the passers-by in your areotech video. I had a police car drive past, stop, reverse and the window wound down a couple of weeks ago when i was practicing on my front lawn at 2am. Luckily they were unlit at the time, the policeman seemed to be half impressed and half wondering whether to caution me!

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Useful tip I've just remembered: One poi is always outside the other... that is, farther from your body. Try turning 180 while TTNing in front of you, and you'll see what I mean.
Normally, the poi in my right hand is the one that stays outside, but I've done it a couple of times where my left hand stays outside. I think it depends on which one is outside when you stop TTNing on one just side, and start moving it around. Pick whichever feels nicest.

Oh, and when you try and turn around and do it backwards, it's the other hand outside.

Oh, and Forwards and Backwards are subjective... I call it forwards when I have a forwards TTN on my left. Cos forwards moves feel easier, and this side feels easier fo me.

Ben

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
38 seconds in will be those seperations.
window or video camera's are good for pefecting them, all pat of long arm variations, just stalling them in certain positions. butterfly seperations are kewl too theres one or two in the aerotech flick.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Some nice TTN move :
Do a normal weave,keep one hand stay still do weave and with the otrher do weave around second close to shoulder(the same beats like mormal weave).You can change both hands with weaveTTN ineach side .

POI THEO(R)IST

Psychmember
14 posts

Posted:
Hey Flid

I was wondering about this in the summer and then spent about 3 weeks solid trying to sort it out and then realised that it was just all butterflies and ttn BUT (and it was an important but) I managed to get my ttn spot on with turns and it's worth trying to learn this move just for the exercise you get in butterflies!!! So go to it!

So (in a fit of egoism), I posted this move as Almost certainly not a new move but you never know and, of course, discovered that Bassman had posted it 2 years ago!

To be honest I wasn't really sure it was worth it in the end. I showed some people and they weren't nearly as impressed as I thought they should be, but apparently (though I've not seen anyone else do it), it looks much nicer if you just turn doing TTN (which is essentially the same move in the end). The problem is (getting techie here) the centre of rotation is always in the middle (not going nicely left to right so you can dance like with eg the weave), which makes it look a bit awkward especially with fire - in fact I think it is much nicer with comets.

Anyway, this is getting too long now - let me know if the link is the move you are looking for or if I completely misunderstood you.

PLUR

Pysch

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
The move "Jello" was talking about is a really weird brilliant move (go fast between a forw. BF and a rev. BF on each side of your body)...use it alot......and a nice thing to do after that is a 3 beat corkscrew but using a airwrap to get it over your head and when you take the pois in front of your body again you do a forwards weave (any beat)....sounds hard but it's nothing to it if you already know the starting BF move....

I like Fire.. :)

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
hehe, "Jello" is honored that you too like this move It's always fun to throw corkscrews and windmills into transitions and such like you mentioned. Like for weave turning and such, instead of simpling going from the forward weave to the reverse weave, throw in quick windmill as you turn. Doing 360's that way is kind of fun But yeah, I shall definitly have to try what you've described, it sound like another fun thing to do.

[ 17. December 2002, 11:54: Message edited by: Jello ]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jackelero:
a nice thing to do after that is a 3 beat corkscrew but using a airwrap to get it over your head and when you take the pois in front of your body again you do a forwards weave (any beat)....sounds hard but it's nothing to it if you already know the starting BF move....
that corcscrew with airwrap correct me, but would need 2 airwraps/hyperloops yeah???? cos one aint gonna werk surly.
butterfly to cokscrew with airwrap/ hyperloop to weave ... dodgy transitions and a little techy for some one learning butterfly weaves right???

think we should leave it be and help with flids origional requested help or stat ur own thread.

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
that corcscrew with airwrap correct me, but would need 2 airwraps/hyperloops yeah???? cos one aint gonna werk surly.

Reply :" the airwrap is just the same as an corkscrew, But all done in the air to gain speed,
so you can do as many wraps as possible....One will work just fine......."

butterfly to corkscrew with airwrap/ hyperloop to weave ... dodgy transitions and a little techy for some one learning butterfly weaves right???

Oki....I'm kinda new to Poi so all the tech stuff is a bit out of my reach for now....
but as far as I understand a airwrap is when the poi-strings wrap and then have to be unwrapped....
so I tangle/untangle in the same formation as a corkscrew .....thats not a wrap??
what I do is let the strings tangle the untangle behind my head and then drag then infront of me in a weave ....

And like I said.....I'm terrible at explaining moves.......

I like Fire.. :)

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
techy corkscews, i know what ur describin dude,
should leave it for another thread.
were talking oppostite weaves not hyperloops. [see jedi thread]