Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Will someone please tell me what move this is?

Login/Join to Participate

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
I'm only assuming it has a name...somewhere...cause just about every movement of poi has been named somewhere. Anyways, here's what I'm doing:

Start with a 3 beat weave directly above your head. Slowly bring your hands down until your hands are moving around your head...you can actually bring them all the way down to your neck, but they constantly move from front to back. If you freeze frame at a given point, your right hand will be in front of you to the left, swinging forward while your left hand is behind your head swinging forward on the right of you. It basically then switches back and forth.

For lack of a better term my friends and I dubbed in "weavemill" cuz it's the movement of a weave but around your head...I dunno...

Let me know if I need to explain this more thorougly, thanks.

[ 15. December 2002, 21:14: Message edited by: Broken Dream ]

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
if the poi are traveling the same direction that the weave goes [away/towards you] then its a weave done high, if they are in a wall plane spinning sideways its a windmill, hope this helps, post was a little vague or do i need sleep again?

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
windmill

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i agree, if they are simply switching from front to back then it's windmill. If they are actually doing a weave motion, that is more than one beat per side (ie 2 front, 2 back) then it's triple or quadruple windmill

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
So is it a windmill done in the same plane as a weave? Because my windmills have always been the same as vertical corkscrews, but this is definitely like a "wall on the side" kinda plane. The fact that I thought it was weave motion was cause it evolved from a weave that I just brought lower and lower until my hands moved around my neck and I still swung side to side. My friend was taping us the other night so maybe I can post a video in the near future.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
So is what you're describing the poi moving above your head while perpendicular to your body or parallel with it? Parallel with it, or roughly so, would be the windmill. If it's perpendicular, like you take a weave and bring it up over your head, than yeah, not a windmill. When you do this do you lean back alot or do you bring your hands above your head while still standing straight up? I always mean to work on that, I'd like to take a front weave up and behind my head while still standing straight up and not leaning back.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
you can do the 3 beat weave behind your head too, just a case of playing with it!.

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
could an extra beat in the windmill be confusing things here maybe?

if you turn between windmills (2 beat moves) with hands above the head another beat must be dropped in to link them since they are both done with opposite hands leading. Just remember being confused when i put two windmilss together with a turn and got 3 beats.

thought it may help, maybe not

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
It sounds Like the drunken windmill to me. (berp0
Im drunk on hte main stream.
(heehehehehicup)

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
In response to Jello, I think it was...

I'm definitely twirling perpendicular to my body, thus the reason it's a weave.

I stand straight up and bring my hands directly above my head while still doing a 3-beat. *Then!* I spread my hands apart a little and bring them slowly down on either side of my head while continuing the motion of the weave. The result is that my hands are circling around my head (alternating between in front and behind my head) while the poi continue to spin perpendicular to my body while alternating left and right. For example, when my right hand goes behind my head the right poi spins on the left side of me. At this same time my left hand is in front of my head with the left po spinning on the right side of me.

I hope this clears things up! I'm still not sure if this is a modified weave or a two-beat round the head weave thingy. Until then my friends and I still like the word weavemill.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Sounds like you have stuck your head through your hands in a weave pattern. Or rather pulled the motion of your hands down over your head like a helmet. It's still just a weave, but in a position that makes it look flashier. Not necessarily behind the head...more like "with the head in the middle." It's kind of like weaving under one leg. The leg is in the middle of the weave, and the hands move around it. Does that sound right?

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
sounds spot on to me glowshow.

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
K, took all that time to figure out it really is just a modified weave...a "spiffy" weave, if you will. Now I just need to work on turning 180 to reverse the motion. Thanks all!