tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Does anybody have any suggestions for moves involving four poi (two in each hand)?
I can get a 2bt weave in, but anything more complicated ends up wrapping on my arms or on each other... or they hit me in the nuts

Any suggestions (or even better, video) much appreciated...

Thanks, Ben.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Not tried it, but it makes sense when i think about it, so i should have done!:

if you start it correctly, you can have 2 poi in one hand spinning 180 degrees out. This is easiest if you are doing the figure of 8 (staff move). Theoretically speaking, but like theres no way I could pull it off, if you have them spinning 180 out and can keep them there, you can use the 2 poi to do one handed staff moves. 2 poi in each hand and you have double staff.

introspevtive illusionmember
7 posts

Posted:
All I can say is it's all about how you work the weave,

I used 5 glowstics on strings all you need is to fasset them to your fingers this can be done with sometime like a braclet to attatch them to. I was using rings to seperate them when on fire. However I sugest using extream caution doing this I gigured out how to weave 2 diffrent weaves at once. I sling more in the style of tai chi and weave big. not so closed in as most I've seen.I try not to close my arms but bring the end of the poi as close together without touching them.

looking for others from Seattle area just in begining of sept. moved here from Burning Man before that Cali.

markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
4 poi is almost identical to 2 staffs so if you already do staffs that will be a great help.
make sure that the 2 poi coming from each hand are being held with each poi coming from opp sides of the hand (like a staff).I just hold the poi in my hand,not attached in any way.
its important to use as much wrist as possible and use your thumb & little fingers as guides.
and remember just practice 2 in 1 hand and get comfortable with both hands.
Look foward to wraps cause they are easyer than you think!

Markeespark Sparkeemark & me

markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
also ask malcom he has fottage of me doing 4

Markeespark Sparkeemark & me

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Unfortunatly, I havn't done staff before, but I have done meteors, and some of the one hand tricks move over to four poi in some shape or form... It's quite hard to get them to stay at 180 degrees apart, and I still can't do anything more than I could before. The I read markeesparks post, and went to fetch a broom handle. Half an hour and one broken plate (note to self: next time, don't try to learn staff moves in the kitchen) later, and I have to say I love it! So I'm going to sit down/stand up and learn some staff stuff, and then go back to trying with the four poi... At least staffs don't hurt. Or don't seem to.

Thanks... Ben.

SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
You can do 2 one handed butterflys at a time, kind of hard to start though

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
ben u may use my meteors any time you like, i allways have them on me.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Cheers, PK! I think the only time ours have left the house, they ended up as a washing line...

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
doin the windmill w 4 is a good way to practice getting your wrist to roll just right to keep the poi in each hand 180 deg apart. Also, one way I'm workin on getting one handed bfly w each hand is to start w forward split time with the poi in each hand spread as far apart as I can manage, then do a leg wrap on each to reverse the direction. Then after u get that, work on alternating overhead one handed bflys kinda like the mexican weave, cept each hand is doin the bfly..thats the idea, newayz...seems like u would have to have short chains for this too

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."