fireballsmember
8 posts

Posted:
hi there...I'm working on the 5 and 7 beat weaves and started thinking about new moves.....Anyone know any good ones where the pois are swinging in opposite direction......
I know a weave would be a bit difficult....but any other moves? should be possible to make a nice connection between the weaves and butterfly's...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
opposite weaves are kewl,
you have your 2 beat which is just a forwards to reverse butterfly, then if you have got the forwards and reverse thread the needle then you can add more beats to it, a hit [have one arm crossed over when u change sides then that will give you the 3 beat opposite weave.
if you have managed the 7 beat weave with wrap then try it with out a wrap that ill open up about 20 new moves that are all offset to the normal weaves, there out there you just have to play with what you can allready do.
have fun playing dude....best of luck!~

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Opposite weave? Could you explain that in a little more detail please?

"Moo," said the happy cow.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
opposite weave is doin forward and reverse thread the needle (the butterfly's alcoholic uncle), alternating back and forth in planes that are parallel just like in the weave. the effect is like doing the weave with butterflies.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Ah ok, I do that

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
-Oppsite crossover(BTB too),BTB butterfly
-4,6 beat weave but whole over head..BTB...

POI THEO(R)IST

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I just got the 5,6, and 7 beat weaves yesterday. I guy I know has gotten the 9 beat weave, with it being forwards weave on one side and reverse on the other. Its really tricky but I can do it with a 5 beat

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
okay now you have my attention , i'd love to have a better description of your 9 beat. you're talking the 9 beat weave, not bfly right? and without wraps? i can't see what you mean, forward on one side and reverse on the other, unless there's a recoil in there.
passes around a pint of guiness to all

[ 07. December 2002, 14:21: Message edited by: arashi ]

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Re: 9-beat weave

Check out nasu's comments in this thread on 7-beat weaves.

nasu's main point was:
quote:

The rule is, one joint for two.. the "3" at the shoulders, the "5" beat at the elbows, and the "7" beat at the wrists.. and a "9" at the finger tips (over under like your crossing your fingers, takes a lot of finger strength, or really light poi (nasu, Aug 02).
It might not be the same 9-beat weave, that is being discussed here, but it's good description. And the rest is also worth a good read, as is the whole thread. imho.

Cheers

[ 07. December 2002, 15:43: Message edited by: Stone ]

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

fireballsmember
8 posts

Posted:
Yeeep...and I can do a 11 beat reverse BTB while I play
'Slayers''Angel of death' under my armpits on my
guitar....
Nice of you to reply everyone,but sometimes it seemes like a bullocks.....or is it??
Another thing is those wrap thingies....dont use
em, and dont like em, is there any wraps that are
any kewl, and fit in like a move-connection??
¨When I do Poi, I use a more weapon demostration style...speed and fire...so i really like connection between styles and techniques:

love to all
Jack

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
thanks for the "threads up"

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
but i still wanna know if he discovered something fun and new
that doesn't sound like a familiar creature to me

SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
Dunno if this is quite so new, but it can connect the butterfly and the weave extremely easily, (a series of wraps though you can do a lot with it to give a cool effect) along with the TTN, i'll try to explain my best:

OK! I like to start this move with a forward weave but you can do it in whatever direction you want. "There is a reverse for every move". As you turn to your right (or left, but i'll explain as though you are turning to your right) as if to start a windmill, wrap your left handed poi under your right arm. As this Recoils wrap your right handed poi above your left arm. This will cause the poi to go directly into reverse of what they were. (Example : if you were to turn back to the original position, you should be doing the reverse weave by now). Now you may continue this type of wrap as long as you want but you will eventually have to come out of the series of wraps. Now! here is where the butterfly or TTN comes in! In order to do this (with a fair amount of style) you don't want to go right back into the weave after doing these wraps. For every 2 wraps you do, the poi will go in the opposite direction of what they just were. In order to get a butterfly out of this move you will have to do an odd number of wraps around your arms (1, 3, 5, 7 etc) when you stop wrapping at an odd number and just stand there as if to have the windmill you should have the butterfly. You can now do all fancy overhead butterfly stuff u want. but i like to show off by doin' some over head butterfly with my hands goin' one at a time then go into the TTN. When doing the TTN from the butterfly you can get it right back into the weave EXTREMELY easily with one cool looking wrap (or a few if you wish, to add to the intensity of the wrappage) when your left hand is coming up to go out infront of you again keep your left hand near your chest and let the poi wrap around your right hand. If you time it right it should wrap and when it unwraps it will come back out in split time and you can start doin weaves again!!!! AMAZING

Hope that didn't confuse you all too much, i've been workin' on getting some foot recoils in this move too. Dunno if this has been covered but i've never seen it explained so it never hurts!

PEACE!
Saggy

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well said saggy, well said...can i call you that? or is it just mr. d?
i agree, wraps seem to be something you might like, and i would explore them. you can do lots of nunchuku and flexible weopons styles with a wide wrap selection. very fast and powerful. don't forget as you explore them that you can wrap your hand, leg, etc. in the forward direction on one side and unwrap in the forward direction in the other. try shortening your chains too, man sometimes i like to keep my chains REEEAL short, 12-18 inches, then you can do more fast movements. horizontal butterfly moves are always fun. try spinning your body underneath them. lots of fun there.

SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
I like Saggy just fine