Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > btb forward weave...any tips?

Login/Join to Participate

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
So I've got the btb reverse weave, and I know you can do the btb forward weave, but mentally, I'm having a hard time sniffing out how to figure that one out.

You folks have any tips on that one?

Cassandra showed me some cool btb stuff, but her brief stay wasn't quite enough for me to "soak in" some of those moves.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
LOL, learning this one myself. Just remember that the hand that's stretching across goes on the outside and the other hand crosses over it on the inside of your body... that's why it's harder to learn as you've got to stretch more.

I'm almost there, determined to get it tonight!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
ok...trying to visualize...arg...hmm..

Perhaps a wee bit more basic. Example...when learning the behind the back reverse...I was told to practice with one poi...

Swing in reverse on one side, then pull it behind my back and swing on the outside of the other arm, then pull that arm over it on the next swing, then swing the poi back to the side you started on. Make any sense?

I'm a visual learner, so this could be an exercise in futility, but we'll see.

Thanks for the tip and warning, though!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
If you are a visual learner try to imagine that your hands are infront of you.

POI THEO(R)IST

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I started seriously with this one last night - ouch! is all I can say.. I can strech so that bit is ok.. I just wish I was less Kack handed..and had a bit more co-ordination.. I've *hit a wall* with this and threw down my poi in disgust last night.. just need the motivation to pick them up again..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
Hmm...

Ok...so...

For the btb reverse, you spin outside of your shoulder first, then "pull" your shoulder back with the poi swinging inside before going back to the side you started on...

I'm guessing for the btb forward, you'd do the inside "pull" first, then swing on the outside of your shoulder before going back to the side you started on.

Does that sound about right?

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
When doing forwards weave btb you're doing the same cross as when in front, but on the opposite side. So when your hands are on the right-hand side of your body it's your right hand crossing over the left, and vice versa.

I always start by swinging my right hand back and under to my left-hand side and then crossing my left-hand over it there.

Shakezmember
5 posts

Posted:
My advice is to exagerate the movement of the poi with your wrists - start with 1 poi behind your back forwards check you can spin it left and rifht handed with 3 beats.
Do the weave in front of you but with your wrists touching, remember how that feels (it sounds stupid but does work!) emulate that feeling behind your back. ie you feel right wrist on top of left then rotate wrists, then left on top of right etc. Coz you cant see your hands feel is the best tool you got, make the most of it!! )
Ps - dont think im mad - im just a bit sideways!!

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I must be a freak because for me it was easier to learn forwards, thats the one I got first. Though after I got the forwards the reverse followed soon after.

Tips to get any move, set aside like an hour or so, and simply try and try and try and try. No matter how horrible you do or how much it doesn't work keep on trying it. At first break it up a bit, like for the btb weave stuff I'd do a normal weave in front and every other beat or so I'd bring one poi behind my back, go for a few more beats, than bring the other poi behind my back. Than I'd simply do a split swing at my sides and when I felt like the movement was right I'd try to do the btb weave. In the beginning it hurts and nothing works, but after a while your hands start to do what their supposed to and it all falls in place. Don't over think it, if you practice the parts enough your motor skills will take over. It just takes time and a tolerance for pain

[ 15. December 2002, 10:45: Message edited by: Jello ]

SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
Ok, for me i would practice for hours on end until my arms started to get charlie horses lol. Anyways, what i did was start one hand at a time like mentioned previously, and then after that i just got used to cross overs behind the back, just goin' side to side, listen to music get a nice steady flow goin and once u master the crossovers just imagine yourself doing the actual behind the back weave and then throw your hands to where they need to be. after this i kept feeling it, like i know i know how to do it but for some reason it just won't work. so i just quit for a while then one day after school i got extremely angry and started spinning really hard and fast and just through my poi behind the back and all of a sudden it worked lol i'm happy for that. so to sum it up, i'd say you should just practice crossovers until you feel good with them and then just go for it! doin' it one hand at a time is also good to get used to the motions, but you will eventually have to bring both hands together.

Saggy

P.S. Sorry for my bad grammar and conjunctions but it's late and i don't feel like changing it.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Ahh! I just lost the reverse! Has that ever happened to anybody? You get a new move down, kind of, it's not clean yet and when you go back to clean it up a bit it doesn't click? I had the reverse btb weave pretty well down for my first successfull attempt. Now it keeps on hitting me in the jaw/lip, not funny! Oh well, more practice and it'll be back.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yup, that's happened to me a few times... generally after I've learnt a move whilst under the influence

Sienamember
3 posts

Posted:
btb forward is fucking imposibble! i know where my hands need to be..... and what i need to do... but it just doesnt bloddy work.... been trying for weeks now...
why is it when you get a move... it seems so simple?

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to learn btb forward too and all I can say is PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
when i was learning normal forwards weave i learnt to swing the poi on each side. Then to cross to the poi over in same time, then to cross them over and out in split time.

I did the same for btb forwards, and when you can do that without hitting yourself (much) you arn't far off. I'm at this stage of btb reverse weave at the moment, I know it'll only be a few days now

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
yo dont need to stretch as much as you think you do, if you think about it how do people do waistwraps? same move just pushed round even further in to a different plane.

2 beat weave is hard behind the back this is because you have only a split second on each side of yor body befor transfering back over, add an extra beat to make it a
3 beat [cross follow]
this gives you a little more time on each side for your hands to possition and get it right.
twist with the move from the waist with your knees bent a little that will help too.
at the end of the day
quote:
patients is a virtue
thats too true. the more yo put in to learning the more you get rewarded.

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the tips, folks!

I've got a lot of different approaches to try!

SpitFire

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
in learning this move i found it really hard to just swing one poi behind me from side to side cuz my legs seemed to be in the way. he he i had to learn it with one poi then the other, then i tryed to learn just the figure 8 BTB just to strech and reach, then finaly i got a tip to do a pendulum sort of approach where both poi are behind you but on one side, swing them back and forth until you can get them to go all the way around, and it seems to fall into place like that, it helps to get the hand movements without the poi just your hands. hope this can be of service.

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I just realised that for both this move and the btb butterfly I find it easier if I change the angle of my hands behind my back by making a fist and swing more with my body than my hands, hope that helps.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

spinnamember
7 posts

Posted:
spitfire...i was in the same boat you were in...
and i wanted to reply but i couldnt remember my password so i had to re-reister cause my email changed..plus i had to wait for the confirmation email to be sent so i could re-register and the whole story...but the good part is...while i was in the process of doing so i got the btb foward weave...i was able to do all the other weaves besides this one but it took about an hour and a half and now i can do it like ive been doin it forever..which pisses me of...every time i learn a new move it takes a while to get it but once you get it its like your purpose in life was to do it...
so basically i did the whole one hand at a time thing until i understood it...then i saw shakez post..and i tried that for a while...just getting the wrist motion...so i applied my strings to it and after a couple of rough hits to the shins on my downswings i got it...ill give you one secret that ive used with everymove ive ever learned....
turn off the lights..and close your eyes...then try doing it....i find that with my eyes closed i cant see what im doing so i rely more on the feeling of it and that usaully helps me...so if i can get in in the time that i did im sure that you can too...good luck

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
Even more tips!

It's been a while, but I've been....erg...in a word, busy.

I'm still working on the btb forward. Mind you, I've not been giving it hours upon hours of practice.

Next question...

When you get into it...er...when your right hand crosses to the left, does the poi swing outside of your left shoulder or inside first?

I think it swings outside first given what happens when I try to turn with the revers btb.

I just need one of you people to come to Houston and SHOW me.

Dom? Cassandra? Are you out there?

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
It's outside first for forwards BTB, inside first for reverse BTB. Which is why forwards is harder and I still can't get it Almost there though...

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
You guy's know you need to turn your body right?? About 1/4 to 1/2 turn to change the plane angles. (Although, u can do it without turning.. u'd have to be )

This move took me 6 months hard out, i was also learning other moves @ the time, but i spent alot of time drilling it.

For me, i found that the turn helped to get the poi to change direction... that is after all the 1 handed both direction pratice.

The turn only applies if u are going from rev btb into for btb.

[ 30. July 2003, 14:18: Message edited by: Taniwha ]

Its all just smoke and mirrors

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
With the forwards BTB weave I found the main problem to be the poi clipping my feet; it got a lot easier when I started to move each foot out of the way.

i.e. when poi on left side, lift and bend the left knee slightly.

In addition, as Taniwha said, turn the body slightly, and also bend your head down.

When I'd got the hang of it I could do the move by controlling where the poi went, but initially I found it much easier to think in terms of moving the various bits of my body out of the way instead.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ballsrburningmember
23 posts

Posted:
onewheel is dead on, thats what I did to get the btb forward. it really helped and also bending foward helped.

I found foward btb a hell of a lot easier than btb reverse, I still cant get it, don't even know where to start.

I'm trying to do a turn and go straight into it from the foward btb, this approach is not working , has anyone got tips on where to start, I need help and it's annoying the hell out of me.

r.clarke

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
I just want to clarify something here....If ya'll knew me, you'd know I'm a stickler for details...

Behind the Back Forward weave...the poi swing up from your feet to your head behind (same direction as if you were just spinning forward at your sides) right?

I don't have a problem with it hitting my legs so much as my back and shoulders...oh and my arm (left poi hits right arm on right side)

Spit....all kinds of confuzzled today.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by ballsrburning:
onewheel is dead on, thats what I did to get the btb forward. it really helped and also bending foward helped.

I found foward btb a hell of a lot easier than btb reverse, I still cant get it, don't even know where to start.

I'm trying to do a turn and go straight into it from the foward btb, this approach is not working , has anyone got tips on where to start, I need help and it's annoying the hell out of me.

I also learnt the forwards before reverse BTB and it was a real pain working on reverse.
I've been able to do it for a while but it was never as comfortable as the forward till a couple of weeks ago when I was watching a vid clip of Smallboy doing fire ropes.
I noticed that sometimes as his arms came to the side and unwrapped that he'd really exagurate the movement so his arm would do a really big circle before going behind back and into the weave.
I found that by emphasising that part of the move slightly, that I could do BTB reverse really comfortably.
Prior to that I'd spent several months working on it in various ways i.e. starting straight into it, going into it from a forwards BTB, going into it from non BTB weaves etc; I think they're all useful.
Mainly you just need to give it time.

[ 31. July 2003, 04:02: Message edited by: onewheeldave ]

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by SpitFire:
I just want to clarify something here....If ya'll knew me, you'd know I'm a stickler for details...

Behind the Back Forward weave...the poi swing up from your feet to your head behind (same direction as if you were just spinning forward at your sides) right?

I don't have a problem with it hitting my legs so much as my back and shoulders...oh and my arm (left poi hits right arm on right side)

Spit....all kinds of confuzzled today.

As I understand it, forwards BTB is when the poi are doing the same movement as in non BTB forwards weave i.e. on the front part of their circles they're going downwards and on the back part of their circles, upwards.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

ballsrburningmember
23 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info onewheel , I have nailed the reverse btb now cheers!!

r.clarke

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
thanks for the tips, i am learning this move, i can picture the nessessary hand movements, but i just cant seem to swing my poi on the opposite side behind my back, i either hits my shoulder or my shin, any tips on doing this as it is something i want to do....

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no