Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Problems with turning weaves

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so one of my favorite moves is to turn while doing the weave. You know, twirl around going from forward to backward weave a few times.

Except I've noticed that when I do this, the pois often don't wind up spinning in the same plane as they were when I started. The plane will be shifted like 90°.

Anyone think they might know what the problem is?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Odd Mike, I've never had that particular problem. Are you sure that each of the weaves are parallel? That is, are you doing V shaped weaves? Especially easy in reverse weaves.

Perhaps you're not bringing each side of the weave completely to the opposite side of your body?

To do a really clean reverse weave you do need to have your hands move from right hip to left hip in order to really make sure that the planes stay parallel. You can cheat and keep your hands steady but you inevitably end up with V shaped planes.

When spinning (weaving) about continually in one direction (a move I like simply because it makes me dizzy) I do sometimes end up with 90 degree (or 120 degree) planes rather than clean 180 degree.

Just a thought.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I get this if i twirl around fast between forwards/backwards (eg 360 one direction, 540 back etc). I expect its due to the amount of force i'm putting on them, but I actually think it's pretty nifty

It only happens though when they are in the middle beat (ie the lower fountain beat), if i make sure I exit the turn on the farest beat round (I'm not even gonna try and use ascii art to describe it!) then i have no problems.

If you are in the wrong plane, then you're in an excelent position to go straight into corkscrew, which ain't such a bad thing.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
NYC, I'll keep an eye on that. For the last few months, I've been focusing more on cleaning up my grammar than on expanding my vocab. That means cleaning up my technique so that my windmill is vertical , damnit! and the like.

Cleaner transitions and sharper right-angles are my current project. So I'll look into what I'm doing on that backwards weave.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
When I do a fountain while standing still I do get a bit of "V"... but while turning from forward to back, even several times I'm sure to keep my orientation 180 degree. I analyzed it and seemed to make the adjustment within the three beats of each weave. So obviously when you switch from the right to the left side you get a bit of a V by definition but the next two beats are within the proper plane.

I think I take back the "keep it far at your sides" suggestion because you can keep it far at your sides and still get a nasty V.

I do think I'm adjusting while turning to keep the poi in parallel. But again, there needs to be a V for one beat while the poi switch sides.

So if I'm weaving the point of the forward V is 180 degrees from the point of the reverse V that I transition into. I hope that makes sense.

I think just turning your body 180 degrees makes you have to orient your poi to follow.

OK, I'm clearly too tired to write fluently.. Off to bed.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

fireballsmember
8 posts

Posted:

hey all.....what I find helpfull is changing speed and rythm when i'm spinning, also the pressure the poi makes on the fingers, I try to keep that pretty even....other than that it's just practice again and again....
and the most important thing is keep learning new things even if the you're not to good at the ones you already know....and learn more than one at the time....spinning the same shit over and over is a boring...

Jack

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I think NYC is right-on with keeping your planes Vertical, But maby this will help too.
I just explained this to someone a whils ago, maby you will understand:

When you spinn anything you always have 4 directions to realy work with. (I have found)
A North, South, East, and West.
When you are spinning forward in the north pos. and you turn 180 to the south the poi changes direction to backwards. (right) You learn moves in both forwards and backwards. Ex: your weave forwards then backwards in north turnning to south (180.)
For east and west it is the same way, although instead of going forward and backward, you are in the middle.
Ex: If you are facing East,(south on your right, North on your left) In a windmill you can come down into a forward Weave on your left/north Still facing east, low transition to the south/right into backwards weave, then back up to windmill. (You can also do this facing west but instead of a "windmill", you have to do "Chasing the sun".)
If you have a few moves in each direction down, you can turn eather right or left to one of the 4 directions and always have something to do.
In your case when you stop turnning, make sure you are in one of the four directions.
Remember that you always have to turn at least 90 degrees to a direction, or elts the chains will falter and hit you.
Does that make sence?
~FireSpirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Try this, I do it when I think some of my tricks arent in parallel plain.Find some close corridor and train there it maybe help you to find which hand do mistake.

POI THEO(R)IST

cedemember
42 posts

Posted:
i find that when i turn too fast the same thing happens, i either slow my turning down, or speed up the poi, to follow the same speed...also when i turn on the two beats it messes me up, i have to wait till the second to turn, or not wait really, but speed things up...and if you noticed i love turning weaves till i get super dizzy

posi vegan straight edge