NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
So I was sitting here trying to figure out WHY my butterflys always feel better with the right on top. Then I realized that when the right is on top my left poi is a fraction of a second in front of my right. A very small smigin of a fraction of a second. For some reason that helps them not cross so I can butterfly forever without crossing. Go me.

But I'm thinkin' why is right over left so much easier for me? Then I bring the left over right and I see that my right (underneath) is going a hair before the left.

So I drop my poi and start tapping on the desk. And, for some reason, I find it much easier to tap my left a fraction of a second before my right than the other way around. So for me:

left/right.... left/right.... left/right....

is much easier than

right/left.... right/left.... right/left....

And the difference is even more obvious the faster I try to tap.

So THAT'S why I find it easier to have my right on top. Of course I need to practice more with the other and whatnot but it somehow gave me some satisfaction finding out WHY. It also explains why I find it so much easier getting into a 4 beat TTN than getting out of it (Right over left going in/left over right coming out)...

Maybe, If I'm really lucky, one other person will find this interesting and relevant. My bet is Drew. Or maybe he'll just feign interest cuz he's polite like that.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i'm there to man.
life time to sort this problem out.
kinda funny.
just like learning the 2 beat weave again both ways... left over right or left under right! that seemed a nightmare.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oooh, my heart is skipping...
well, i totally know what you're talking about. once i realised it myself i practiced the left on top, my weak side, until i could do them both naturally, and do butterflies with either hand on top. oh man. because you can go into a turn with your hands in any position, you can just dance naturally, and do cool butterfly moves, for one. i like butterfly better because you can do the moves with very little movement from the hands, compared to weaves, and thus free your hands for more expressive dancing. it also really helped me to be able to comfortably do complex bfly/TTN moves like btb turning bflies, because you can just adjust the timing down on one of the wicks a-la TTN and do all the moves with nary a tangle in sight. if it's a good day.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
quote:
But I'm thinkin' why is right over left so much easier for me?
Know wot you mean. Are you right handed?

I just put it down to my right hand being dominant, and that’s the way I leant, and practiced for quite a while. Now, I realise that I need to be fluent with left/right, especially in split-time. So I’ve been practicing heaps, and leading a lot more with my non-dominant hand. TTN is good to practice, coz you can practice leading with different hands. Then ya got to do the same thing for the outward b/f

Think you know all this, but as they say: a problem shared, is a problem halved

Almost forgot, I’ve also been leading with my left for btb b/f and overhead b/f. Gotta know em all both ways. Outward and inward.

cheers

[ 28. November 2002, 16:26: Message edited by: Stone ]

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Erm lemme recall a conversation that me, kato and Dom had the other week when Dom came to stay with us for a few days......
how many years of have you spent mastrubating with your right hand [being that your right handed].... now no lies here guys and gurls you all flick the bean! we are all pretty open here by the looks of things so any way, we came up with a very simple solution that could help with our poi abilities and that is to start wanking with the left hand in stead! you may think i am being stupid and having a laugh... maybe but how further more from the truth could we be?..... tossing with the left hand can be good for you... plus i remember certain roumours that it feels different when a man does it, but i wouldn't know i had a sex change last year.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
WANKING FOR FIRE

they cried,
the honored ones,
amongst the trumpeting
and banners unfur'ld,
and legions thereupon heard their cries
and taught legions themselves
in multiplicative manner.
and it was good.

otherwise known as "blindsiding the pipe", dude, i invented that move way long ago totally kidding

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
ROFLMAO.........

PK - I think you just took poi to a new level entirely.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
yep my timing is off all over the place too. Even though I spent hours drilling it one year.

not on my butterfly, they work just fine, but my split time TTN is sooo pants, I just cant do it right.....

Spin Doctormember
34 posts

Posted:
I alwyas find my timing is pants for 4 beat weaves.

Imagine something witty or profound was here.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
*Laughing til I tear*

Bwahahaha...

Flick the bean....
Blindside the pipe...(called thusly cause you don't see it coming? )

Bwahahahaha...

I found that having s definitive rhythm helps as well. It also helps when integrating poi into dance. But if you keep the rhythm with your feet, usually your hands follow and things smoothe out timing wise.

Flick the bean....

*Still laughing, shaking head as I leave the room*

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
If I was a drummer (which I am) then I'd point out that tapping one hand just before the other is known as a "Flam" and that I can do both hands equally well through years of practice.

Thankfully I'm not that dull...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
bloody drummers.

ambidextrous w*****s the lot of em.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
What's wrong with ambidextrous w**king? Variety is the spice of life

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I also like my right hand over the top. I think it is cos I am right handed and it feels like the right hand is controlling the speed and movement. With my right hand on top I can more easily bring it to a split-time butterfly and back.

It is a small, but interesting challenge to do right over left, left over right, right over left etc. May actually help in developing control with the weaker hand.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually I've been much more successful at doing the moves we've brought up here if I focus on it from a timing point of view than any other. The only difference between being able to do a right over left butterfly and left over right butterfly IS timing for me. The 4 beat TTN is coming along nicely for me because I'm focusing on the timing rather than the spacial orientation.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
dude, everything is in the timing. you can have bflies all over the place, totally crazy, and never tangle, if your timing is on. in fact i would get even more specific and say that the one wick stall, a la TTN abd TTN variations, is the best timing thing to work on. if you can do the TTN and inverted and doulble TTN you are set. if you have good control over your wick sense, or where your wicks are out there on the string, and how not to collide, you can do anything.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
okay i just thought of a better way to say that. as you say, the difference for you between the right dominant and left dominant is the timing. what i thiink is even more specific, and helpful...
the difference should be in the stall that takes you from one hand dominant(on top in the bfly) to the other, and the bfly motions themselves should be exactly the same. you want your weak hand to spin at exactly the same rate as your strong hand in the bfly, no matter if you are doing right or left bfly, so the hands are indistinguishable. then, you get the stalls down perfect, so you can adjust your whole scenario through the stalls, and not the bfly itself. the hands simply melt together while doing the bfly. next timing workshop; do a double stall, where one wick does two circles and the other wick does one large one, or one slow one. then integrate them closer and closer to regular bfly, riding the edge of tangles. next try it horizontal. you might like what you find there in the edge of tanglemant.

[ 05. December 2002, 10:04: Message edited by: arashi ]