Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Butterfly fountain (2handed!)

Login/Join to Participate

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
A two handed move for you guys (I know that would be a first from me but oh well!!!). Although note that there is a one handed version of this same move in the jedi thread.

Step 1

Horizontal butterfly in front of your body for one beat.

Step 2

Horizontal butterfly above your head for one beat. During this beat and here is where it feels strange turn 180degrees so that the butterfly is reversed above your head.

Step 3

Horizontal reverse butterfly in front of your body.

Step 4

Wrap the poi around your waist and turn 180degrees to unwrap the poi.

This should lead you straight back into step 1 again to repeat!

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Now, why, in God's name, is this a fountain?

(confused)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
why the hell not? everything else is

seriously though (and this'll probably just piss loads more people off) i was thinkin its more like a horizontal waist wrap (and NOT because of the wrap around the waist).

it has three circles followed by a move to get the poi directly back to the start position.
okay, its not a carry but the move does have that 1-2-3-'carry' pattern to it.
its just the carry has been replaced by a body wrap.

you could call it the 'horizontal butterfly waist-wrapped waist wrap'.

...or not.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Because it is similar to the weave fountain in that it flows round all parts of the body. Anyway its just a name. The name is not important just couldna think of anything else to call it. I was not going to name it at all but all those moves in combination do look like a seperate move.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

Psychmember
14 posts

Posted:
Jez you genius!

OK so firstly that is one stunningly beautiful move, but you have given me my first poi inspiration (cool - never used one of those b4!) in ages.

I had never really thought of butterflies in that plane before but now I see that:

1) It really could look stunning
2) What a way of transferring between moves!

now I cannot actually do any of the below, but...

What about TTN in the same way - that's got to look cool.

Instead of doing simple butterfly what about using those isolation things that everyone is so keen on recently. Especially with trails that is cool as f**k!

And finally (da da da daaaa) isolation TTN in the horizontal plane alternating above and below head while turning (if I ever pull it off I think I will hang up my poi for good).

Does this make any sense?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
in a word....no

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Nice idea Jez. Horizontal butterflies are way cool and that’s a nice move. Like coleman said, everything’s a fountain

Heres my shot at the b/f fountain. And even though I haven’t got it fully sorted yet, this is how I think it works.

I got into this by accident. I was doing TTN (inwards) and taking the poi from the right-hand-side to the left-hand-side (as you do). Keep ya arms on the left, and let the poi do a beat, then uncross (more like sliding ya forearms around each other, down near the wrists) and you can get in another beat. The poi kinda weave together as you cross and uncross. Then cross to the right. Try it.

The Concept: TTN (a bit to the left side of centre). Hold arms on left, keep doing b/f and try and get two beats (wrist kinda cross and uncross). Then, go to right for a third beat. As Phunky said it’s all in the timing.

Hope that makes sense

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
split time variation is also possible all you do is turn 90degrees and do exactly the same thing but in split time. Then of course for those that enjoy that type of thing split time TTN is also a possible variant.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
ummmm long time ago i did a Butterfly fountain but i didnt though it was new stuff....

dunno maybe mine its different...

I start with a butterfly i do a 180 degress turn with my hip(i think thats the correct word in english ) and then i turn again to my starting position just like a low fountain in weave... ummm

i think i also can do the full fountain with butterfly ... um

like i said i dont think these is new shit...

ummm i don tthink i got what you were doing, cant you post a video of you doing it???

[ 06. December 2002, 12:03: Message edited by: NightShade1 ]

Dance like if noone were watching you

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Pseudo Upper Butterfly Fountain Note: this is not a real name
The move is just a variation, but I couldn't resist, hey.

Just do that "split-time b/f transfer thingy" up high, with a b/f in the centre, head high. Side b/f's above or below shoulders.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
what's all this 'wrap the poi around your waist' how do u do it?? I really wanna know.

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
in a horizontal plane, you simply stop your hands next to your body and let the poi wrap round your body... As simple as that.

Of course if you're talking about the "waist wrap", a move that doesn't involve wraps at all, I'd go search for it.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

iggsy :) love life!!!!!!!BRONZE Member
39 posts

Posted:
nice one Jez smile

harpisheadBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
linking it with behind your back butterfly looks nice and horizontal butterfly by your legs and reverse butterfly and just twistin your arms and things, i play around wi butterfly a bit but i dont really think its a propper set move, does any1 know how to do lepricorn cos that looks well well well hard

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
my... what an old thread

ubbrollsmile