Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > That ONE MOVE that caused the most INJURIES and PAIN???

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pHoTiKrBOImember
27 posts

Posted:
lol i know all u guys had that "one move" that was a bitch to learn....

haha i think 1 hand butterfly is hard to learn and perfect cuz the glowsticks be hittin each other and they smack u in the face..oww!

i think arm wraps are hard to learn too cuz i wore a short sleeve and i got rope burn theres a whole buch of red marks on my arms and shieet....

so whut was the move that took u hella long or caused hella injury?

pHoTiK kReW!!!!!

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
What took me the longest? Urm...probably thread the needle.

The one that caused the most pain? That would either be the butterfly or btb reverse weave. Ow.

Then there are some moves that I started to pick up, but set aside because they almost didn't seem worth picking up at the time. The 5 beat weave is one of 'em. I've gotten over the "not worth it" line of reasoning. It's an awkward feeling when you're learning the move, but once you get it, it's pretty cool. I've yet to incorporate it into a burn, though.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Also doing BTN between the legs is a surefire way to whack yourself right in the nuts. It's like a sign from god that you should try doing some other move for a while

"Moo," said the happy cow.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Yes, The hardest move for me was the forward btb weave! I was hit in the back of the head many times not to mention the other head rapping up from behind. Then there was the connecting it to the backward BTB when turnning verry painful, and FRUSTRATING!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
I'd say my insane BTB butterfly over head to normal butterfly transfer, I was learning this one over Easter this year and wanted to pull it off God damn it! Anyway my practice poi consist of one part handle, one part tennis ball and one part heavy dog chain. In the space of an hour my back was covered in lashes from the poi, as were my head and face, along with numerous blow to the face with the ball end too, on the upside I managed to pull the move off and it is one of my favorite things to do. I also did scare my good friend Michelle half to death as shew watched my shirtless back take beating after beating.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
That btb to overhead to regular butterfly is painful I'm still kind of choppy with it, but I've stopped hurting myself, *whew*.

Getting the reverse btb weave was a boat load of pain. At first I repeatedly hit my eat, which caused a painefull yet warm sensation, like I was bleeding but I wasn't. Than I started to get it and the pain moved on the my shoulders because I would open myself up to much, the natural reverse movement made me stand up more and open up my shoulders.

It was a whole new set of pain as compared to learning the forards btb weave, which hit mainly my legs and occasionaly the back of my head.

Fun stuff poi is The jugglers I practice with always cringe when I try to learn a new move.

Lightshow84member
5 posts

Posted:
I didn't have to much trouble with weave stuff, but I've gotten alot of pain from butterfly moves. my head from behind the back, my arms and hands from wraps, my nuts (ouch!!!!! ) from when the glowsticks caught and attacked.

oooooooh, hurts just thinking about it.

AstroBoymember
43 posts

Posted:
I never had very much trouble with the forward butterfly, but I am teaching myself the overhead one handed butterfly and that SUCK alot. I have been practising in my back yard and had to crawl back into my house. BUt the move that i think hurts the most is the reverse 5 beat weave. Learn this one with socks!!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I drew blood for the first time about 90 seconds ago by smacking my jaw practicing 5 beat backwards weave. My fault for using my firechains indoors for practicing new moves

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
hehe, yeah, chains indoors is generally a bad idea. Though I do it all the time I just started adding some extra beats to my windmill, and I the chips and marks on my dorm room walls prove it

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i knocked a chunk out the wall the other day and put the paint back on with blue-tak, filling in the gaps with tip-ex

I want my deposit back on this house when i leave

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
Twirling in small dorm rooms sucks.
Can't wait till it gets warm enough to go outside again. Till then my friends and I will have to keep taking over the study lounges.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
gotta love those sack taps, butterfly always good for a few of thoses, corkscrews with a weave beat (sure of the exact name of move) are tappin my sacks at the moment. the worst injury tho, was a simple weave i was showing a friend, al i had to use was power cords with 3 point plugs on the end, (for those that dont know, they have 3 metal prongs stickin out of a hard lump of plastic), ended up splitting my forehead open...got a bit messy...

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
It depends on what kinda poi I'm using. I was learning how to do btb weave, foward i think, the one you get into from reverse weave. Anyway, shoulders killed, nasty back and calf burises. I'm on a swim team and go half naked most of my life so of course it was obvious how i got so many bruises on my back... hot sex! ubbangel Turning from foward 5bt to rev. 5bt i whacked myself in the side of the head with my glo bugs and got a nasty bruise. I don't like those things anymore. Arm wraps with fire, they didn't hurt a lot, but they left nasty marks, many people thought i was cutting myself, because you know, i wanna kill myself, hehe. I learned on dead glowies attached to ropes with heavy metal clips. Hitting myself in the crotch wasn't bad, it was when I just kinda clipped it a bit and left that horrible sting for hours. Butterfly of course.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
once, i had a slight injury whilst twirling.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
my wristwraps and shoulder wraps are the most painful but that is cause I have stuffed them up when they have been on fire and given myself some nasty nasty burns.

BTW ouch to bender on that one...that looks extremely painful
EDITED_BY: Medusa (1117514365)

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
getting hit full on in the boobs can hurt a fair bit, too.

ow bender, that does look painful!..

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
it...was.
the last 20 months have taught me much about what i can and can't do with my body!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
BHB Butterfly Weave. It's possible to smack yourself in the front of the head and the back of the head at the same time. frown

I think I had to lie down for 10 mins after it went all black!

And it's taken bloody ages to lean too!
EDITED_BY: garthy (1117528588)

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: JayKitty

It depends on what kinda poi I'm using. I was learning how to do btb weave, foward i think, the one you get into from reverse weave.

That'd be reverse BTB weave smile

The worst injury I've done is learning through wraps from front -> back under my leg. Naked. With exceedingly heavy juggling balls in my sock poi. And not moving my leg back quick enough. Ouch eek

Agreed that BTB BF weave is a bugger in terms of smacking yourself, but nowadays I've got much, much lighter poi wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i got some pain in my legs from btb rev 3 beat, but not too bad.

The one that really really got me was/is reverse 5 beat weave. The worst thing about nice planes is that both poi hit you in the same spot.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
I'd say butterfly tricks are the most painful. They gravitate towards painful man places... eek

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
My boyfriend completely refuses to learn poi after hitting himself in the goolies. He even looks nervous if I ask him to hold my poi for me, bless him...

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

georgia knewbie
19 posts

Posted:
the hardest thing i ever learnt was the reverse 3 beat weave, after only doing it forwards for a year. i thught my brain would never get around it

i don't know how boys ever manage to learn poi. you must all be insane pain freaks! but impressive though

EpsilonKiasNote to self... Fur + Fire = Hurt.
107 posts

Posted:
Pain= Flowers/buzzsaw stuffs of any type for me... I've gotten some bloody noses from flying glowsticks and the such when trying them

Longest time to learn: Btb 3beat weave. It took me about 6 months before I could even do a btb butterfly but it nearly took me a whole year till I could do a btb 3bt weave.

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
Written by: georgia k

i don't know how boys ever manage to learn poi. you must all be insane pain freaks! but impressive though

I tend to save the butterly tricks for my snakes... Nowhere near as painful as monkeyfists. wink

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
waistwraps = hell
and it's not for hitting myself with them. thats ok, but it's from the pain in the back trying to reach wall plane in fron of me, from BTB frown

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

Ryshadnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
my first attempt at poi ever was my most painful smile i was shown how to do a simple cross-over...got cocky and the two glowsticks entangled together and hit me clean in the nads... my friend who was watching said the sound was so loud he thought they hit me somewhere hard like my leg... but it was a clean Sack-Slap frown I was on the ground for a good 5 minutes that felt like an eternity. Still bought myself a set the very next day though biggrin
The 3bw btb cuased some very tender calfs...always in the same damn spot lol, still haven't mastered it, many an ouchie to come lol

Freeze! Don't Move or we'll unleash the cabbages and throw the panda's!

"Go Cabbage! Go!....Get Them cabbage....Can someone help me, this panda's feckin heavy!....."

Armoured_RavenGOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
Btb stuff is killing me still... the btb waistwraps keep getting thwarted by my boobs, and the btb weave just feels impossible. I've been practicing at these for several months now and it still feels like I've had no progress. But they're so purdy ubblove and worth the pain... I s'pose i'm just a glutton for punishment. spank

"I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive." -Albert Einstein

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
For one off pain the butterfly type stuff really is the most arkward as its the one thats likely to get you in the life insurance vessels, but for continued stinging, frustrating pain its got to be the btbt reverse 3bt as it slapped the back of my right calf time after timee after time. ouch!

Oh, and there was the really nasty clonk in the eye I got trying to reverse buzzsaw hyperloop Mech's foam-filled cone poi- I somehow managed to bruise my eyelid- lovely!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Rev 5bt. Every time. Every [censored] Time.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Page: