Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > That ONE MOVE that caused the most INJURIES and PAIN???

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pHoTiKrBOImember
27 posts

Posted:
lol i know all u guys had that "one move" that was a bitch to learn....

haha i think 1 hand butterfly is hard to learn and perfect cuz the glowsticks be hittin each other and they smack u in the face..oww!

i think arm wraps are hard to learn too cuz i wore a short sleeve and i got rope burn theres a whole buch of red marks on my arms and shieet....

so whut was the move that took u hella long or caused hella injury?

pHoTiK kReW!!!!!

Cute Little Burning BallBRONZE Member
101 posts

Posted:
Butterfly, every censored variation from it has left me sterile ubbcrying
Foward btb weave
Reverse 5bt weave
damn even chasing the sun hurted sometimes umm

today trying to learn the Straight Jackets almost gave up my poi after hitting myself directly in my one monthold ear piercing. frown

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Calvin 'Calvin & Hobbes'

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Butterfly

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Flowers & giants indoors. I'm still stepping on glass shards burried in the carpet.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

darimothmember
62 posts

Posted:
let me tell what happend 2days ago.
i'm good with poi,and i had found a girl who uses poi too,so when we meet each other on sat night we jugggle toghater with1poi one hand.
we do basicall rotation-around-partner but even with a simple move our pois collpased and her one taked her up her left eye..just a sratch but...wow!!!
we wrer using fire(as all tinmes)but he get ijuried and i feld "stupid"...even if i don't know if was mine or her poi to scratch her.

so:even the simplier can be de deadlier smile

--Late biosas---
tired to watch videos,let's go juggling in the street.

Cute Little Burning BallBRONZE Member
101 posts

Posted:
Poi are Deadly

We´re all gonna die ubbloco

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Calvin 'Calvin & Hobbes'

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
5bt reverse giving me greif at mo, i can do it, but b/c i hit my face so often (even put my teeth thru my lip one time), i can do it now, but i always duck, its reflex, i cant help it. anyone watchin tho, norm gets a kick out of it tho.

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
Let's see I suppose for me it would have to be the 5 beat horizontal weave would be the most difficult I've been working on thus far...I think I've about got it down dry but, I've yet to try it with live fire.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
face wraps with fire smile

edit: i havnt tried this yet smile

EDITED_BY: oli (1119216796)

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
pony-tail wraps smile its more accidentally hitting youself in the face then ripping your hair out..

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
'man wraps'( :o tongue) with fire wink

again hypothetical...
EDITED_BY: oli (1119217167)

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

JastapusBRONZE Member
39 posts

Posted:
I see a lot going towards the BTB 3beat and yeah i have to agree, just first gettin my head round how to do it ended up with being hit in the face, stomach and testicles sooooooo many times. Not fun but worth it when you actually get it.

Cogito Ergo Sum

the happy manmember
37 posts

Posted:
Mine was actually the forward behind the back 3 beat weave because i bit myself really hard out of frustration on the arm, it made a bruise.

other than that anything which hits you right in the nuts -

its worse than childbirth . . . believe me i know!!

jasta: its not lsd its ept!

"were all in uniforms here and dont you forget it" Mr Zappa

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Reverse 5 beat- not rewarding enough to perform, measured against the knocks you get figuring it out.

However.. Was trying sort of a waistwrap butterfly with a turn (to get the butterfly from the right hip to the left), and on turning, one of the poi swung up and caught me perfectly in the jaw. It hit the right, but my left felt like it was dislocated and I couldn't bite properly. Was gone in a day though.. but was pretty worrying when it happened.

inpsydoutBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
flowers that go between your ears and biceps. nuff said.

i cdnoult blveiee taht i cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht i was rdanieg!

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
For me, its the behind the back weave.

I dont think I got that frustrated when I first started poi all those years ago. I start on the left, cross and uncross on the right but then when it comes back up on the left it hits me in the face. Last night I got it on the right cheekbone twice, have a bit of swelling and its sore, but not too much damage, and hit myself in the mouth three times, drawing blood all three times!

I shall master it today though, I have decided!

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
persistence is the key! burnt my new triple heads last night, was very intense, they are so much heavier than doubles, was quite limited in moves b/c of the wieght and length.
not even sure when i did it, but i wrapped one around my writst and now have a nice 2nd degree burn there. actually with the quick link outline, and the a few other marks, you can kinda see a smiley face in there biggrin

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
I spent a little while learning 5 weave today. Had I not been using my fluffy poi, I would have very sore nuts...

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
btb rvrs 5bt ouchie

PoiBoi_IggyBRONZE Member
16 posts

Posted:
i have learned that percintance is the key... I have been learning alot of moves and all of them have taken me under 30 min of non stop practicing for each move...

Rave or Die..... PLUR... Iggy

likwidSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
most painful..

butterfly [i learned the rev. first, because they wouldnt immediately hit my nuts if i messed up..haha. took a while before i could get the confidence to try the forwards butterfly again and eventually get it down...]

and the 4 - 5bt rev. weave... ...with beamers! frown
hit myself right on top + side of my head, nose..
got a pretty high pain tolerance from using them over the years, though ubblol
but i still havnt gotten that move down yet shrug

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
The revearse 5bt weave was the most painful censored of a move for me to learn ever with soft poi.

s1owpokeSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
I did not know what everyone was talking about hitting their nuts doing the butterfly but I just found out. I have been spinning for 2 days now and was doing the butterfly 180 degrees out of sync for some reason. It did not look right and until an hour ago I did not get it. Well, I just went outside and did it the proper way for a bit which resulted in a pretty brutal smack between my legs by 2 fluffy poi. Yes these are fluffy but still hurt like hell. LOL I can only imagine this is the 1st of many smacks.

I am not all that good and can't imagine me doing weaves and such but I see so many people doing it I guess I will.

Later

S1owpoke
EDITED_BY: s1owpoke (1122851707)

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
im with the official toasted moo on this one! wowee they can smack u doing that one.

definately for me tho, doing one handed butterflies and collecting the poi in the face. never zig when u should zag, it really hurts.

EDITED_BY: jonathan (1122856596)

HeadSwimGOLD Member
...curiously lost
580 posts

Posted:
No real pain from anything other than reverse 5bt weave. It took one hell of a lot of herb and a solid afternoon of pain to get it down but I didn’t let up on that sucker until it was licked!!

Of course there is still the odd leg/shin crushing strike from the beamers to go about!! Those things are far worse than any fire poi I've tried yet!!

Nothing is easy.......until you can do it! biggrin

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Written by: HeadSwim

Of course there is still the odd leg/shin crushing strike from the beamers to go about!! Those things are far worse than any fire poi I've tried yet!!

Totally agree!

I dont think I have found any particular move to be more dangerous than any other. For me its more a sudden distraction that causes those horrific jackass style 'nutball' moments.

Although beamers in the shins hurt really badly. And when I was learning the btb butterfly I did smack both sides of my head simultaneously with unlit fire poi.

Ow frown

LouchGOLD Member
10 posts

Posted:
I'll have to agree with some of the most painful moves. the reverse btb weave I nicknamed the black eye for a while, use your imagination how I came up with that.

I also connected a beaming poi LED head with my knee cap which resulted in not only a couple days limping but a large crack in the beamer.

But most painful move, which I still get wary of, is the single hand butterfly. My poi have a habit of conecting only at the bottom of the circle and then flying directly into my crotch. I've gotten the move down now so that it normally works fine, I just have to work at replacing the look of terror I get on my face whenever I do it.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Decided the other day that I can't put learning the btb weave off any longer, my excuse of my arms being too short and stubby didn't seem to work.

Everytime I duck out of the way of the first poi coming to hit my face, straight into the path of the second.

Just spent the whole morning holding ice to my face, ow!
EDITED_BY: pricklyleaf (1123596235)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
At the moment..
BTB crosses.

frown

cainebabymember
32 posts

Posted:
i've done some interesting things, not so much injured physical but my ego toook a huge plunge...

i was practasing poi on a rock next to a pond, tried to do a weave and turn... guess what, fell staight in everyone, mainly family, never let me live it down lol,

but then i do things like that

what kind of victory is it when someone is left defeted?

la belle dame sans merciBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
i think my bitch of a move wwas five beat weave. especially when i only had a pair of old fire poi to practise with and they kept thumping me in the nose. i swear it has slightly changed shape from it. but it is strange because now i do 5 beat without thinking about it when i pick up the poi and have to focus to do the 3 beat. hughow wieeeerd is that. but prob not heheheee biggrin

If only my soul were attached to the tails of my poi then I would fly to all the corners of the earth every morning and eve.

Page: