Forums > Social Chat > Cultural differences in twirling?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Spanky's 'Challenge' thread got me thinking about the cultural differences in twirling.Most of you have probably read his threadhttps://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001134.htmlWow!I've never come across this kind of stuff in Australia.... battles, 'showing people up'! Weird! Is this a 'raver' thing? Serious question! If it is, it's quite contrary to the ethos of P.L.U.R on which rave culture is based.The arrogance and aggression demonstrated by a few people throughout this thread is really difficult for me to understand.Here in Sydney we enjoy hanging out with fellow twirlers. We share tricks and swap tips.We seek out each others company in order to be with like minded people who understand where we're coming from. It's collaborative, not competitive.I'm sure that this is not something unique to Sydney, or Australia for that matter. The firedancing community in San Francisco sounds pretty similar.The English twirlers I've met seem to be on a pretty similar wavelength. Same with many of the Kiwis, South Africans and French twirlers I've chatted to via this board.Any ideas? I'd really like to know what you guys think.Australians don't really go in for this sort of thing. We're pretty modest about how good we are. We don't like to show other people up. We like to be the 'underdog' rather than the 'champion'. We even have something called the 'Tall Poppy Syndrome' in Australia. It came about in order to stop people from becoming big headed. It's about staying real.In my opinion, and my opinion is all it is....... The attitude demonstrated throughout Spanky's thread has begun to overwhelm this discussion board of late. This is really sad.I hope it's not a sign of things to come.Finn smile[This message has been edited by Finn (edited 09 August 2001).]

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
If you go looking to Burning Man to represent American culture I'm going to start watching the Mad Max series again to see how you guys live down under... winkPS The gas is in the School Bus, the tanker is just filled with sand![This message has been edited by mrmo_nyc (edited 16 August 2001).]

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
ROFL mrmo smileI imagine Burning Man would be atypical of the dominant culture!No, what I was getting at, was the rather unique perspective that Josh and Kate will have when they return from their travels. They will have twirled with several H.O.P. members from various parts of the USA and they will have attended the mecca of firedancing -Burning Man.Can't wait to talk to them about how it compares to the way we do things here.Finn smile

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Finn - if you get the chance, tell your friends Josh and Kate to stop by the Heretic Hotel (8:15 Center Camp - associated with the BRC post Office) while they are at Burningman. I'll be camping there with a couple other fire performers from Houston.Yes, Burningman is not typical American culture - but perhaps one day, if we are good and very lucky...Anyway, back to topic. What GoBo said was pretty true. Any "battles" that do arise at american raves tend to make friends out of the participants rather than adversaries. There are ways to be polite about it, and most people 'competing' usually are that way about it. To tell the truth, I think it is more of a forum for showing what you have and seeing what you can learn from others. It has more of a "battle" or competition fell to outsiders than the actual participants I suppose. The only things that really bugs me about the kids is that they tend to be pretty impatient, and then they always want to borrow your chains. Bring your chains if you want to spin! As for the art/sport thing. Lots of interesting things said. One thing that fire/glow spinning reminds me of is surfing. There is a similar sort of trance that you have to get into to be good at either. I tried competitive surfing for a while. I didn't like it. I much prefer surfing for myself, not for judges. So then to me surfing is an art by what y'all have said here, even though most people see it as a sport. And so then spinning is art too I guess.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Vanize,I'll let Josh and Kate know. Though I'm not sure if they'll be checking their e-mail again.On the art v sport thing....Fr me, twirling is definately an art. It has benefits in terms of physical fitness but ultimately I firedance for the creative, spiritual and meditative outlet it offers me.

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
Someone Once asked to teach him to be as good as me at poi. I replied "I will not teach teach you to be as good as me. But I will teach you to be better than me." I also said, "I will not teach you how to do poi. I will teach you how to love poi." Ever since he has learned many transitions that I never thought were possible. I am in extacy whenever I see someone doing poi. I love to watch because every one always wants me to twirl. So I never get a third person point of view. Sure there is always going to be a competitiveness within all twirlers but it is not entirely by what you can show but what you can teach and learn. I started poi with glowsticks, going to raves. But now when I go to raves I hardly ever twirl. Unless it is me and my boys putting on a tandom show. Even then it only lasts ten minutes at the most. But then again it is the most wonderfull ten minutes of the night.Personally I consider it more of a martial art simply because it takes a level of disipline. It takes a level of skill. It takes a level of mental consentration. It takes openmindedness, and clarity of thought. Art: Yes. Sport: Yes. Love: Absolutely!!! [This message has been edited by jedimastah (edited 19 August 2001).][This message has been edited by jedimastah (edited 19 August 2001).]

Page: