Page:
Nina24member
5 posts

Posted:
Hey !!

I was just wondering how long it takes to be "good" ...assuming one isn't a coordination looser ? When did you pro's know it was the right time to start with the fire poi ? Just started and can't get enough ! By the way anyone know anyone in Germany that does poi ??

Greetings Nina

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
The only thing I know about getting good is that there are those moves that hit you alot, and there are those moves that don't. Those that don't hit you as often could maybe be tried with fire. Don't forget all your saftey stuff.....just in chase.

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
To be good. Sometimes peoples tell you "Hey you are goot ",but you never think Im. .

POI THEO(R)IST

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
ive been wondering this my self. ive been practicing lots and want to make some fire poi but i dont know if im gonna kill my self or somethin, wish i had someone here to teach me.

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
I've always found in life that when you think you are getting 'good' at something, you begin to look around for the next level of practise and training it, and then you find that there are many many other people out there who are sooo much better than you, and you are simply on the bottom rung of a new ladder. This applies to poi too I think.

On the plus side - I see it as a positive challenge, because there are always people who can help you to improve - and you never feel like you've reached the top of something - theres always an exciting new challenge.

As far as poi goes, if somebody watches you and gives a complement then thats all the reward anyone needs! It certainly encourages me to practise more.

Best of luck.

William

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Since everyone else gave the PC answers that I was going to give, I'll give a very un PC answer:

One year.

I really think if you practiced often enough and were dedicated and researched and got help and travelled to see other styles and such... you should be good after a year.

Glass and the other Gods say stuff like "I'm still not good" and such but that's just so they can get chicks...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
Glass and the other Gods say stuff like "I'm still not good" and such but that's just so they can get chicks...
I nearly snorted out a whole load of the water I was drinking all over my keyboard when I read that

Something that might be worth a read if you're wondering about how long it'll be before you're good is this thread. It starts making sense after about half a page, it's mostly assorted ramblings before then

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Nina24member
5 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your answers!!

I figured it would take a while! I actually got a video and i've been fast forwarding and stopping for some time !! I guess by the time I get the moves my video recorder will blow up in flames !
I'm sure there is a great respect when using the fire poi toward the element ! Practice practice is what i'm going to do ! I have to write my thesis and everytime I get frustrated I go swing the poi ! It's amazinh how it clears your head (not caused by the repeated head thunks I get !)
I'm always in awwwwwwwwwwww when I see people that relly know what their doing ! It'll be a while till I go outside !! Thanks for your tips !
Any bad experienes with fire ????

Nina

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina24:

Any bad experienes with fire ????

one of my fire poi usually goes out before the other one. thats really annoying

as for when to start doing fire, i first tried it when all i could do was the forwards and reverse weave and a butterfly.
i couldn't even turn round at that stage.
having said that, i was around lots of experienced people and as such felt very comfortable knowing that 1. they were happy for me to do it and 2. felt confident that they could handle any problems should they arise.

best of luck with both your spinning and your thesis

[ 16. November 2002, 00:32: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Nina24member
5 posts

Posted:
Thanks !!

Need the luck ! Your lucky that you had people around ! Spinning poi isn't really popular in Germany ...at leat I haven't seen it around. I lived in spain for a year and everyone was doing it there ...on the beach and stuff. A friend of mine is in england, she's coming back for Christmas I think...maybe she'll assist me a little !
Right now i'm still battling with the weave ....CAN'T DO IT !!!!!!

Nina

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
when you're ready, your're ready. Just don't be stupid.

Kinda like sex
(for those of us who get it right, not some drunken fumble.........yadda yadda yadda.....)

Apart from that - there are always people who are better than you and there's always more to learn. That's how we get so passionate and caught up in improving.

JUST ENJOY IT
And listen to the beauty of the flames

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Nina24member
5 posts

Posted:
Yeah that sounds like the right thing to do ! I guess you "practice" before you have sex aswell lol! Practice practice is the word ...and I will follow ...

Thanx

Nina

PoiKingmember
23 posts

Posted:
You are good when you are the best. There will always be someone better than you. That's why you have to practise hard to be better than that person. Learn all that there is to know. Never be happy with a little. If you let your guard down someone will pass you up and you will be forgotten.

The only people who count are the people who care.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
That's the saddest thing I've ever heard! So Nobody's good? (If you're only good when you're the best and there's always someone better than you...)

"If you let your guard down someone will pass you up and you will be forgotten"

Will somebody please give this child a hug! That's the saddest story I've ever heard!

I completely disagree. I'm the worst firespinner out of my friend group and I'm decent. C'mon kids, let's cut with the bad kung-fu lines and get back into the hippy lovey-dovey firespinners I know you all are.

If you can do a behind the back weave, you're good. If you can do a 5 beat gracefully, you're good. If you can transition between a wide variety of moves, you're good. We're not talking about "Jedi masters" here... we're just talking "good"...

If you can do all of the lessons on this website, you're good.

Says me.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PoiKingmember
23 posts

Posted:
I'm not a hippy and I like to have chemicals in my food to keep it fresh. You can't settle for just being good. You have to be the best. What else do you have to look forward to?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Now I'm convinced PoiKing is someone taking the mickey, wot with the first posts being on the Jedi/Sith threads. At least I hope it's someone sending us up!

PoiKingmember
23 posts

Posted:
Taking the Mickey? Sending us up?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
quote:
You can't settle for just being good. You have to be the best. What else do you have to look forward to? PoiKing.
Hey PoiKing. Appreciate your enthusiasm, but I think learning and practice have their own rewards. You don't you really have to be the "best" to enjoy these arts.

And, wot is "best" anyhow? It means different things to different people. Some people like flash tricks, others like to dance, while some people like to perform. The best performers might not necessarily do the best tricks. Often someone that just does a heap of flash tricks looks pretty boring to the onlooker.

faroutman

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PoiKingmember
23 posts

Posted:
I suppose that would call for a combination of "flash tricks" and dance.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Dang it Dom, you're good. Indeed PoiKing most certainly is just dangling worms. A quick look at previous posts suggests the same. Well done Dom. I guess I'm just too honest to imagine why someone would get a kick out of a facade... I'm better at like logic puzzles and algebra type problem solving. But always appreciate a superior sleuth.

Hats off to Dom... what does he win?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Sucked in. Shit me too, thought it was just another raver come to tell us how good they are.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:

I suppose I should answer the original question posted by Nina24. It's a sliding scale with many variables and there is no line you cross from 'bad' to 'good'. You'll know when you're getting good as either people will tell you or you'll realise. I'm told I'm pretty good, but I can be very critical of my spinning and style, but that's just to get the chicks

As to when to start fire, do a search as this has been discussed a lot. You need confidence and the skill to not completely mess up doing the moves with fire. If you're waiting until you never mess up you'll never spin fire.

PoiKingmember
23 posts

Posted:
Okay guys, you got me. I just wanted to add a little passion to some of these post. I'll try to be nice. I guess I'll answer the question also. I think Dom has the right idea about being good. You just kinda know. People start going out of there way to watch you. Some people want to know how you just did a move. Sometimes you get people who want to show you up because they think you're good and they want you to notice them.

On the note on when to spin fire...I started doing fire because a lot of people told me I should be doing fire. I understand there are a lot reasons to spin fire. That one just happens to be mine.

Anyway, sorry about the trouble guys and have fun.

PoiKing

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Dang PoiKing, you missed a perfectly decent opportunity to go off on Dom and the rest of us.. long strings of curses and personal insults... Damn newbies just don't know how to start a fight.

Thanks for taking the High Road PK, I guess you earn some props for that.

I think that the blur between bad and good lies within the blur between the definition of what the heck we are all doing here. Since "Fire Spinning" is impossible to define in terms of quality (rather than bowling, which is easy to define as it's just based on how many points you get) it's difficult to figure out what you could possibly judge yourself on.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
If you have fun and you don't do any serious damage to yourself or nearby people/pets/light fittings, you are good enuogh in my book

As for good enough to use fire - well I could spin my poi forward and do a cross-over confidently before I lit up. Just keep to what you know when using the flames.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

3,638 posts

Posted:
Hey NYC -
The abbreviation of PK for PoiKing may get confusing as our lovely Poi'd and Insane's real name is PK. And as far as I can tell, him and PoiKing have had a little disagreement somewhere (though that may all be sorted now.)

Just an idea

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I thought of that but thought that since I started my post with PoiKing I could use PK later in the same post.

[In fake overacting badly done Elisabethan accent]

AS LONG AS THE SUN SHINES IN THE HEAVENLY SKY ABOVE I SWEAR IT UPON ALL I FIND HOLY IT SHALL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN SO HELP ME GOD!

{Good call though really. Thankfully I've met one of the Nyx/Nix?'s so I don't confuse them and can sort of tell you and Roz apart now... no need to confuse the situation further by abbreviating on my behalf. Which one am I again? )

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well this thread has certainly touched on a lot of deep personal issues, and psychological analysis, and moved as i am (wipes sentimental tear from eye), it feels awkward to even say anything, especially ON TOPIC...
but anyways i say start doing fire as soon as you know how to do it safely, even if all you do is swing the chains around your head for five minutes. it sounds great, helps you get comfortable with it, and lets you know what it's like. fire rocks.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

3,638 posts

Posted:
Arashi - good post

NYC! - you're an oldskool HoPper. You should be able to tell me and Rozi apart by now

no problem

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well certainly now... but there were a few months that I was totally confused and didn't realize that they were two different people. Especially before you changed your "name".

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

3,638 posts

Posted:
Lots of people don't realize that I'm Ros. Even though I spent ages with (Ros) at the end of my new name.

Some ditzy Australian was even known to have asked Cantus 9on meeting him) "Is Ros Lolli?" eeeeerrm.........how does that work???

Page: