Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Weave directly into butterfly without wraps

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Any tips? I got a method of doing the opposite (butterfly into forwards weave), but it's really tight and I severly doubt i could use the same method in reverse.

As all my moves are either weave family or butterfly family based, transitioning between the 2 using a couple of beats just at either side whilst I move from split time to same time really breaks the fluidity of my performances. I'd really like to be able to move between the 2 at will without anyone noticing.

Thanks

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Man I wish I had my videos in work. Sucks not having 'em at a finger tip.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
lol @ Cole

you mean the bf -> weave Hyperloop transition dont ya? hehehe. been thinking about recoiling one poi mid hyperloop to go into bf hyperloop, maybe ill try a little l*r

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
if you're overly scared by wraps, do what i do.
i wear denim pants, and a long sleeved black shirt. under the shirt i wear leather forearm guards. try it, it takes all the pain out of messy wraps, and you can always wear the guards on the outside for that xena look.(j/k) the denims are enough to take the pain out of leg wraps.

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Hey Mark, I don't think anyone's really afraid of wraps. It's just a lot of people don't like 'em. Plus they cant be done with clubs and some poi.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

The Dragonmember
13 posts

Posted:
fo shizzle.

poi enthusiasts dig wraps, but if you do other things then you dont. he was lookin fo a way to pull off a trick without stalling.

make him feel like the shit and all that good stuff.

ASCEND!Fire dance with me!let me be the most liscentious martyr!SEAR ME!

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I can understand why he wouldn't want to use wraps... I personally don't think wraps fit in with the whole circular flowing feel of poi. Sudden movements in different directions makes the whole performance seem like a "Look what I can do" thing instead of an artform.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Ouch, thats real usefull MilleniuM, Im taking quite a shine to you.

tried the hyperloop weave->bf transition, didnt get anywheer near it but sorted a trick I been trying to get for ages, thanks! oh, hold on, that was my idea.... oh well, thanks anyway!

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
"LOOK WHAT I CAN DO! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!"

Oh...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
cheers for your tips, but you're about 7 months too late cause i've got it now

I was also petrified of wraps when i wrote this original post last year, now i love the things. But weave to butterfly and back i generally do with stalls, i like to do poi with short sleeve tshirts on and forearm wraps give me burns

Elementmember
5 posts

Posted:
I know an excellent way to transition from the weave to butterfly.

When you're doing the 3 beat, have the poi do 1 simultanius beat at your sides. Then on the up swing(when they are behind you going up), bring them around wide. Then when they are about straight out at your sides, jump and swing them both under your feet. Then when they come back around front swing them over your head and that takes you right into butterfly.

You don't suck, I'm just really good. -Element

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
also, if you find you hitself rather hard when trying then just carry on doing it. If you do it repeatedly (and fire does help for this), then eventually it'll go straight through. So, don't give up!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thank’s MillenninM, glad they were useful. I’ve always found them to be a bit dodgy me self Another good one is to come from a btb weave into a butterfly in front.

Every prop has advantages and disadvantages and
Wraps are just another tool/move to use or not use, depends on the person. While, as DSS said "they can't be done with clubs and some poi". However, with clubs you can do taps, tipping or slaps.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Try and weave then do a simple cross over and play around with it alittle, like keep doing it, until you can put the crossover over your head like your doing it with the butterfly, with any luck you should be now flopping back and forth the butterfly over your head back and forth and now have a somewhat smooth transition between butterfly and weave.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Whoa, flashback... haven't seen this post in forever. JayKitty, you revived it, you miracle worker!

Funny reading your own posts from way back when. Life was much simpler for me before throws, hyperloops, stalls and wraps.

Page: