Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Glow vs. Fire (round 28)...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Before the old timers jump in and kick my butt I DON"T want to turn this into which is better. (We've had some nasty fights between the ravers and the fire spinners and I DON"T want to revisit that again!)

Rather, after reading a post in the "technical section" I'm curious as to who can do both equally well?

I never consider myself good but I can do any trick that I know on both glow and any weight poi just as easily. Yet it seems that whenever some fire ninja gods pick up glowsticks they look right foolish. And I've seen ravertypes pick up heavy poi and crash and burn (unlit thankfully.)

Are there others that feel just as ambidextrous? Or am I the ambassador of the fire-glow alliance?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Glo is more than glowsticks. Glowsticks are too light and spun by lazy people I get round this problem by spinning Aerotechs which are quite heavy, and these are far, far cooler than glowsticks too.

So, I'm told I spin glo and fire equally well.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I spin glow better, because my firepoi are too heavy for me (doublewicks fastened with heavy bolt things) so I get tired before I really get into it properly. Plus you have to keep bloody refuelling every minute... bah...

If they were lighter, i'd spin just as well I think; I'm getting new ones soon anyway.

I never buy glowsticks though, they're expensive unless bought off the internet (no credit card...) and I rarely spin to show people, just for my own pleasure. Increasingly I can't be bothered with the hassle of fire either. UV is the best - cough *cheapest* - !

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
NYC, I think it depends on wot you are familiar with, and personal preferences. Like if you only practice with heavy ball chain and 4" wicks, then it might take a while to get used to the feel of stringing glowstix, and visa versa. Maybe longer than many people realize. I reckon every poi set has a different feel, but won't go into details now.

If you practice with both types, or have a history of practicing with both, then you probably get good with both. I run my glowstix on light ball chain, coz it takes ages for me to get used to strings, and I like the way light reflect off the ball chain under all then prutty lights

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
My time is pretty equally divided between fire and photons, so all of the neat tricks I learned first with the less lethal glowies, I soon transferred to fire. There's not really a difference between the two except for weight. My fire chains are pretty heavy~ 2 inch wick stacked at about 4 1/2 inches high on #13 SS ball chain (Props, Adam! You done good! )
BIG FLAMES!!!
On the other hand, my strings are similar to the ones that come on the old Zuni's or the Buzz poi. On each string, there are 2 RAV'N lights staggered about 4 inches apart with silicone tubing stuck on the end. They are lighter than glowsticks.

I have found that by practicing with the fire poi, it has made it easier to spin both sets, along with all of the other crazy things I spin around. It's kind of like a baseball player using a "donut" weight on the end of his bat before he steps up to the plate to increase the speed and strength of his swing.

As for all of the moves and such, I always seem to learn new moves with my strings. (Generally while I am out at the club in front of a mirror.) However, I make sure to perfect them with the fire poi, so I can incorporate them into my fire shows. It's really not much of a problem incorporating the basic stuff so much as the wraps. Because of the weight, the force of the chain wrapping, and then being able to tug hard enough to get it to recoil, it takes some getting used to. The poi are bigger and bulkier, so stuff like double hand wraps takes a little more effort.

All and all I have proven myself to be ambi-poi-ous. I can pick up anything and do the same tricks without screwing up. It's all a matter of practice.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
If it spins, I can generally work with it, just give me a moment (or 30) to warm up to the flow of it. I started on fire and went to glow, which I think helped me since I didn't have to make a weight adjustment from light to heavy, which in my opinion is harder than heavy to light (does that make sense?). I also have LED systems and all sorts of spinny toys that fit into the "other" category.

In other words, I am rockin' in the boat with you NYC!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'm with Pele on this. I can spin anything. I have a bit more trouble controling glowsticks because they're lighter, but that's about it.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
After rockin' New Haven this weekend with Nyx from both fire and glow (actually a WHOLE heck of a lot of glow) I was ALMOST ready to retract my statements but found that there are certainly tricks that are easier with one than the other... for obvious reasons.

I forgot how much I liked glowsticks.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
pozee's outstanding with blue & green glows as well as his fire poi and staff which y'all may know better these dayz, and Dragon just a stone's throw from me is real smooth with electropoi he got from HoP, he started candyravin happycore shoestrings before he ever lit up, gave him early smooth skillz

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
For me it's about being able to spin whatever's appropriate for the situation - practice, performance, fun, fire ban, indoor, outdoor, small space, large space, training, experimentation, fire, glow, beaming, tin cans, ribbons, broom handle etc. It's all fun

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Generally, I can spin both light and heavy poi, but I much prefer to spin heavy ones, so it takes me a while to adjust if I pick up the light ones - mainly because I'm not used to how fast they whip around and hit me

There are a couple of moves I can do better with heavy poi, and stuggle a bit with light ones, but I put that down to how little I practise with light poi.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
the only thing i dont do with fire that i do with glo is to shorten them while spinning, and thats for obvious reasons, otherwise i pretty much transition everyhting well...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Sailor25member
16 posts

Posted:
Aparently I am the opposite of most people, I started out with Glowsticks, and switched to Fire later. I still use glow more often because of the firemartial thing here in New Orleans, but just a few of my thought on the subject.

1. The speed of glowsticks are really their advantage, because you can get them really moving, about 3-4 times as fast as with fire (guessing here).

2. Glowsticks don't burn when they hit skin, meaning some of the wraps I do are only possible with them. Like neck wraps (chain would probably strangle me anyway), and leaving them resting on arm wraps.

3. Every trick that can be done with fire can be done with glow.

4. Fire looks way cooler, and the reality is that nothing sounds as great as a fire ball under your control wizzing by your head. And crowds really prefer watching fire more.

5. Because fire is going slower, it looks more fluid, witch in someways makes it seem more dramatic.

All in all, I love both ofd them, and will spin whatever I can get my hands on. Including mixing them together, I had this really cool set where I had Fire, Glowsticks, and fans all going at the same time... Just be sure to put the fire the furthest out.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I would like to add that as my skill improves I feel the need to make my poi heavier, even the light ones. After awhile just a glowstick on a string feels like nothing there, and my body seems to have the mindset that it doesn't like to spin nothing!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Urban_Culturemember
89 posts

Posted:
i fing spinging practice poi alot harder than beaming poi or fire poi esspecially if itz windy!

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
quote:
I forgot how much I liked glowsticks.
Me too

Let's not forget too that certain moves just don't look right with glow, and vice-versa. That overhead slow carousel thingy looks silly with glow, but hey, you can't light your poi by smacking them on the floor during a break in the music and that's cool too
hehehe thanks NYC, too bad you're not coming to our dinner party tonight...fire show entertainment will feature your torches! Thanks again for the b-day presents!!

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
As for the moves you can/can't do, it's true. Even Mike's little flick behind the back wrap to the ankle is next to impossible with wicks because the glows wrap so much easier. I think THEORETICALLY any move should be possible with both but different weights and lengths lend itself better to different moves (rather than the fire/glow itself being the limiting factor.)

{Dunno Nyx, I thought that three nights in one week would start too many rumors. And offering gifts to cute chicks that are actually my age is my pleasure. See you Friday }

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

queen of wandsmember
127 posts

Posted:
They are both a cup of tea, just depends on what I fancy at the time. Fire is dramatic and beautiful but sometimes its nice not having to worry about getting burnt etc.

I'm not vegetarian, but currently I'm off my chops!

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
My opinion: I love fire for its addrenaline inducing quality, the fact that if you mess up you can really fuck your shit up, and because its hypnotic presence.

I like glowsticks cause they are easy to do ANYWHERE, I like to do wraps and not worry about catching on fire(lol), and cause you can spin fast as hell and they stay just as bright as if you were spinning them slow.

Glowsticks and fire are two different beings and are both respected by me. **watches phunky twirl stuffed animals** I respect him too. whatever it is you twirl, have fun.

Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i like both. hello strangers...

anyone got a light?

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I like both.. but this weekend I really got into my socks.. black and white over the knee socks that I wear over my arms.. way cool under UV - for weight I have got tennis balls with 4p in each-- have a look at www.hugbubble.co.uk

there are a few piccies of the audition Durbs and I (along with the rest of our buch of spinny firey people - I love you all!)

you can sort of see the effect with the socks up my arm in one foto - he he!

I like to spin anything - all my lighter are on strings to
A) stop friends stealing them
B) to have a spin when ever I want..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Speakin' of Glowsticks (And Pozee)... do you crazy glowstick wrappers get bruises on your arms as well? It seems like they take about two weeks to fade and since I've been spinning every week I've got permanent black and blue on my triceps. Do you get that too Pozee? Or am I just a fragile girly man again.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I spin both.

I prefer beamers or electroglows to glowsticks as they have the weight I feel most comfortable with.

My spinning varies according to what I use though - I've noticed that I make the dancing much more fluid and sexy and slinky ( )when using fire, and then all bouncy and energetic and 'smiley' (as Glass put it) when spinning with glow. . Tis all good.

For me the choice adds variety for whoever's watching as well as allowing me to dance about like a loonie or a fairy or just like me. . I love both lots and lots and lots!

I can't do isolations with fire though. They burn my poor fairy hands. And I can't do certain wraps cos I'm all scaredy....

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I haven't even seen a pair of glowsticks in months. Like Pele, the more I do this, the more weight I want. Lately I've mostly been using wicks that weigh about 1 pound each, soaked. My normal wicks feel uncontrollably light in contrast (until I mess with them for a minute to re-acclimate).

Extra weight gives momentum that carries me around on some dodgier moves. And it tends to focus me better--if I screw up with my standard wicks, it's no big deal--and I often wind up covered in soot marks by the end of a set. If I screw up with my big wicks, I'm going to really burn myself--so I rarely get more than one soot mark during a set.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

)FyreFly(member
9 posts

Posted:
They both ROCK and I ROCK at them both! Hey everybody, hope all's well with everybody's everything!

If everyone smiled, it would be the first step to a better future*

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
if your a girly man, then im a balding transvestite.

umm, nevermind. about the bruises. i never really have a problem with the bruising, but one thing i do get a lot with glowsticks and my meteor is that i will get little pinch marks on my bicep. they look almost like blood blisters. is that what you are talking about?

see my skin gets pinched when the ball chain or the rope meets itself in the middle, ie my bicep. does that make sense.

come to think of it, i have not had a real bruise from anything in ages. hmm...

anyone got a light?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You don't bruise? Mr. Unbreakable over here...

I usually don't bruise much either, which made my excessive bruises under my bicepts even more obvious. And as for the blood blisters, or track marks as I sometimes am afraid that they'll be confused as, yeah... I get tons of them.

And if you're a balding transvestite, then you must be a whiz at retouching photos.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i spin both.

i hardly ever use sticks cos they're disposible and a bit too light for my liking. i use globalls in nets when i spin glow. i find i play around more when using globalls - although they're heavy and hurt when you hit yourself, i find they really help me to focus on style and to try out new ways of spinning.

when playing with fire i am fairly self-conscious and generally stick to moves i have at least practiced a little before i light up.
i had the fear for a while when i came close to setting myself on fire with a set of ropes but i think i'm overcoming that again now.

i spin glow more often for a couple of reasons - you can do it indoors (although i did indoor fire for the first time last week ), you don't have to keep buying paraffin, you don't get covered in soot when you're spinning on a morning after

fnf - its good to hear someone else was silly enough to try isolations with fire! good for spinning on cold days though

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
i definitely do NOT perform equally well will fire, glowsticks, and practice poi.

if at all possible, unless i am frantic to spin something, or just want something different for a few minutes, then i will pick glowsticks up. and then quickly put them back down. i dont like to use glowsticks at all actually.

but practice poi with nifty lights attached at the end, or interesting designed poi, definitely.

my style falls to pieces when i pick up stix though...

Wow

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
For all those who suffer from the weight difference just use more glowsticks i.e. two or three glowsticks on each end or you can use 10" or 15" glowsticks though they tend to have to be ordered but open up new ideas becuz they come with a hook on each end.Plus if you set up say 3 or 4 sticks on one string end to end it looks really cool.I haven't done that in a while but it always gets the attention that fire does.I'm surprised that NYC didn't mention for all those who bruise easily trying to do wraps with sticks to just use thicker strings.I myself when I swing sticks use a pair of modified nylon dog chokers.What I mean by modified is I cut the normal rings off and fed keyrings in their place.They make a big difference.
I myself prefer swinging UV poi.You can swing them night or day and don't have to worry as much about hurting yourself or those around you.I really want a pair of Aerotech's though.For all newbies learn how to use everything becuz the weight differences can ruin a nice set.Some transitions aren't as easy when you increase the weight.
Also for glowspinners,if wicks are too heavy for you make a lighter pair.I will never stop raving about the "glowstick wicks" that NYC made.
Merry Christmas everybody.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Man. I tried Dom's Aerotech poi. I want some

With Poi, I prefer glow. I'm all tense around the fire. But I seem to flow more with fire, from other people's opinions.

With Staff, I prefer fire. It's so... spiffy and get a bigger flame on a staff from my experience.

Final virduct?
Glow rules
Fire rules.
I use glow for dances and in practice.
I use fire to flow more.

Kinudin Happy Holidays!

Page: