Page: ...
GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Throughout the world of poi there walk a breed aside from other moves. Many have claimed that they don’t exist, or that they did, but that they died out with some long lost tribe of poi masters, and now they are “just legends”. But, they exist, and not just in the fairy tales we tell young poisters and poiettes to make then scared of the bogie poi that live under their beds.

The Jedi set are the most technical of the most technical moves.
The Jedi set are the poi swinging moves which defy the known laws of the physical world.
For everyone of them, at the moment only a handful are known, is utterly a Jedi move.

Until recently the easiest known move in the the jedi set was a 5 beat weave to reverse 5 beat weave behind the back, preferably done in the wall plane. And yet some exciting new discoveries uncovered using the latest state of the are technology in archeopoilogy. New additions have been threatening to join the ranks of the Jedi set, The Eight Council of Poi demi-gods are currently in congress to determine the place if any of these exciting new finds which include 2 air wraps within the Jedi set.

Not everything is known of the origins of the Jedi set. But it is much hinted in pagan folklaw, that in days of old back in martober two mysterious men, possibly of a tribe of orangeness denoted by their attire met in a misty field in Clay-pham a small village near Londinium. And lo, One of them who may have been the legendary Jedi Tony Touch spaketh unto the other, (the ugly stupid one with poor personal hygiene) who is, it is rumoured to be a distant forefather of the author. (alas the lineage has never been proven).

“That move is utterly Jedi.”

And to the sounds of trumpets from between the legs of a chorus of angels, the Jedi set was gently placed by a large crane amongst the meeting of poiers.
And the quest began...

That was many moons ago, and little remains to document what happened in that original quest...

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
*stops before he starts another fountain argument*

biggrin

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblol those were the days...

hug

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
Sorry for being annoying:

I still don't get how isolation should look like, it's a form of buzzsaw right? only that you also have to circle your hands?

And the fountain thingy, does it have a video?

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Ariad... that's an isolated buzzsaw smile If you're doing it right then the poi should line up with each other as they go round.

But you can do isolated versions of most moves... here's an isolated butterfly

https://www.spherculism.com/poiple/module...p;orderby=dateD

Dunno about a fountain video... anyone know where that club swinging one was?

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
psst... glass' definition of fountains is on page 15. it's what i've always understood them to be, but keep it quite, i don't want any trouble.... wink

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep: there's a fountain with dodgy counting in the video sample on this page.

i don't have divx here so i can't watch it to tell you where but its the move that looks like (with each poi) 6 little circles spread around a full arm circle.

imagine you are a clock face and your arms are the hands - you spin a small (wrist) circle with each hand starting at 12 o'clock, move to 2 o'clock anb spin another circle with each hand, move to 4 o'clock and spin another circle with each hand...

and so on.

fountains ubblove

horribly hard to explain, contain lots of clues for waistwraps, pretty much the only proper cross-follow flower-type move and on top of all that, was the thing that first got me started on 'antispin'.

but its really still just the trusty old fwd to rev 3bt weave in wallplane... wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
ohh.. never seen that vid b4. just watched it and it says 'fountain' in nice clear letters and shows you the clock face as well. didn't notice the windmill tho wink

whatever a windmill is, remember to 'place your advance order now to avoid disappointment'! biggrin
EDITED_BY: duballstar (1093362543)

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
my candidate for a jedi move is a behind the head butterfly to a double bicept wrap (takes some stretching) to a reverse behind the head butterfly. it even looks cool...just imagine

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
ubblol Fountains, hehehe

I don’t think fountains really qualify as a Jedi move as they are more a basic building move, but the being able to explain fountains is certainly Jedi.

wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
What about behind the back airwraps?

and ive noticed a reoccurring them e here.

A move can only be Jedi for a certain ammount of time.
As time goes on.
More people learn it.
It becomes commonplace after a while and becomes simply boring.

Hyperloops and Isolations I belive are examples of these. Generally everyone I meet (spinners, not just random people on the street) knows what an Isolation is, and even more people can do hyperloops.

Thats what I reckon anyway.

smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I agree that Jedi is always time dependant.

[Old link]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

i don't have divx here so i can't watch it to tell you where but its the move that looks like (with each poi) 6 little circles spread around a full arm circle.

psst Spiralx. Get that one back on mr Coleman by pointing out that there are only 5 little circles by eack poi spread around the full arm circle and then use the [Blow raspberry smilie] :P
He will be very confused.

Semlyn and Kati cant count them either so he's in good company.

I'm off back to working on my swing outs

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
ubblol

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
*why* 5 little circles? counts 6 when i do it.
Counting at the top of the circle: 3 behind on the right, 2 in front as you change, 3 behind on the left, 4 in front as it goes over the top, repeat. 12 beats in total, so 6 per poi...
If you count the beats of the red club when it passes the red number on the clock face you only count 5, but the numbers appear each time the red club has done 360' and is pointing towards the 1 again. so it's 6... isn't it?

-ben

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
oh yeah, my vote for a jedi move is 8bt same time thread the needle, and 7bt split time, cos they're both bitches to get right.

-ben

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
ubblol at tenticle
Yoda voice: try to concentrate young luke, or a strong jedi you will not be.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
being jedi is for people who need a peer group... wink

-ben

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
we all know sithhave cooler powers anyway wink

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
...and the sith, as was amply demonstrated, are losers.

--ben

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
you watch too many movies.... we all know that irl good doesnt always win.. its just a cliche.. like the nerd getting the hot chick...

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Chicks dig nerds.

--ben

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
only cool nerds.. like those that spin poi.,.. or staff... or meteor..

thats why the other nerds juggle... lolsign

j/k.... I dig jugglers, especially the contact ones.. they have more dexterity than I'll ever have..

and with that.. I'll stop sidetracking this thread and try to re-align it...

would people consider some of the antispin or inverted stuff more recent jedi? some of that censored is pretty hard.. imo..

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
fountains with less circles than there are.
confused
still.
wink

not confused any more if i'm honest - its all relative innit.
drew is head-centric, tenticle and i are wrist-centric (or something less susceptable to wanker puns).

and tenticle is right - chicks dig nerds biggrin
plus, the older a nerd gets, the more attractive he becomes to the opposite sex (learning to juggle only magnifies this effect as far as i can tell tongue).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
clue for tenticle:

cheat mode: yes there are 5 little circles and 1 big circle with each club so that = 6 circles in total

(note your breakdown is wrong at the top there is only 1 little circle with each club at the top in front of the face.)

/end cheat mode

chicks who can dance dig boys who can dance smile

and those boys like chicks who can dance angel2 angel2

bye
EDITED_BY: Glåss (1098395449)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
old and busted: chicks that can dance
new hotness: chicks that can dance that dig chicks that can dance..

oh.. and for the record.. I'm actually with drew on this one.. I think.. clap

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
one full circle, yes, but if you are counting beats at the top of the circle, each poi passes twice in front of you over the head, once as you come to the front, then once before it goes across, for a total of 4 beats. if you count at the bottom of the circle for the whole move, you do 3,4,3,2 repeat. If you count round in a circle, you count 5, and it's done an extra one you've missed by counting every 1 and 1/5 beat instead of every 1. The counting on the video starts in an odd place, and the placing of the numbers is confusing, but the transitions done are:
yellow poi leads to front,
yellow poi leads to behind,
red poi leads to front
red poi leads to behind,
repeat.

Or,
hand on it's own side leads to crossed side over crossed poi, (yellow leads to front)
(turn shoulders which swaps which hand is crossed, so yellow that has just become crossed is now not anymore)
hand on it's own side leads to crossed side under crossed poi, (yellow leads to back and becomes crossed)
hand on it's own side leads to crossed side under crossed poi, (red leads to front and becomes crossed)
(turn shoulders which swaps which hand is crossed, so red is not crossed now),
hand on it's own side leads to crossed side over crossed poi, (red leads to back)
repeat.

Which is the same as a 3bt weave forwards to reverse and back in wallplane. which has 12 beats total, 6 per poi, and does 3,2,3,4 when counted at the top.

3,3,3,3 is possible but requires a reverse 5bt transition to behind and a reverse 2bt transition back to the front to work, and 3,2,3,2 requires increasingly difficult carries.

So it's six circles with the center of rotation moved around in a big circle, or five circles-and-a-fifth moved around in a big circle. And if i'm still wrong, where?

--ben

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by infinite

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I remember back when I first learned these things.. fun times.. since you like tangles so much may I suggest the thread.. umm.. I think its tangled gumbies or something.. shows how to take a tangle form front to btb back to front..

kepki2003Member
34 posts

Posted:
Great posts! 5beat weave isolate, lots of half as well as full airwraps!! The force flows through me...
Video proof is comming soon...

-J

Spin More Poi!!!

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
congratulations are in order for reviving a year old+ thread

umm

There are still no jedi

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage