Page: ...
GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Throughout the world of poi there walk a breed aside from other moves. Many have claimed that they don’t exist, or that they did, but that they died out with some long lost tribe of poi masters, and now they are “just legends”. But, they exist, and not just in the fairy tales we tell young poisters and poiettes to make then scared of the bogie poi that live under their beds.

The Jedi set are the most technical of the most technical moves.
The Jedi set are the poi swinging moves which defy the known laws of the physical world.
For everyone of them, at the moment only a handful are known, is utterly a Jedi move.

Until recently the easiest known move in the the jedi set was a 5 beat weave to reverse 5 beat weave behind the back, preferably done in the wall plane. And yet some exciting new discoveries uncovered using the latest state of the are technology in archeopoilogy. New additions have been threatening to join the ranks of the Jedi set, The Eight Council of Poi demi-gods are currently in congress to determine the place if any of these exciting new finds which include 2 air wraps within the Jedi set.

Not everything is known of the origins of the Jedi set. But it is much hinted in pagan folklaw, that in days of old back in martober two mysterious men, possibly of a tribe of orangeness denoted by their attire met in a misty field in Clay-pham a small village near Londinium. And lo, One of them who may have been the legendary Jedi Tony Touch spaketh unto the other, (the ugly stupid one with poor personal hygiene) who is, it is rumoured to be a distant forefather of the author. (alas the lineage has never been proven).

“That move is utterly Jedi.”

And to the sounds of trumpets from between the legs of a chorus of angels, the Jedi set was gently placed by a large crane amongst the meeting of poiers.
And the quest began...

That was many moons ago, and little remains to document what happened in that original quest...

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ok santana i just caught that kwisatz haderach thing. the kwisatz haderach is the result of hundreds of years of a carefully directed advanced human breeding program, not the end result of a bottle of cheap whiskey, a lobster dinner, and some white trash "happy accident" . don't kid yourself. fancy moves do not a kwisatz haderach make. he that can be all moves at all times, at once, he who threads the fabric of space time for his own quilted dance, we can never even touch...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Having come on to this topic late I missed a lot but oh well. I am really hear to defend my good name!!!

quote:
coleman you been talking to the one handed master jez again.
The Jedi count is made with fire, not with stripy sox poi.

Only a fool or a jedi would attempt
A double neck wrap with fire.
(I won't....yet)

In relation to both these paragraphs I have witnesses who will testify that 90% of the one handed moves I do have been done with fire poi. Including 1 successful attempt of one handed butterfly to double neck wrap (ooohhhh what a rush!!) However rarely people see these moves because they must be done on specific fire poi equipment and they generally have quite tame flames and that is not as much fun. The double wick poi are just too "firey" to play too many one handed move games with and certainly NEVER double neck wraps!

I do not claim to be Jedi. Because I lack basic moves in my 2 handed poi stuff. I think to claim to be Jedi you must prove proficiency in all moves and be able to pick up any move shown to you within 24 hours.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
behind every person are ten thousand ghosts. When I refered to the KH thing, i was actually refering to my ability to fold space/time with my mind and my ability to be in more than one place at the same time, which is the true definition of the KH. The fact that it was supposed to take 1000 generations is inconsiquential, as the breeding program produced the KH a generation early. She was supposed to bear only daughters, but instead she bore a son.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
:former agument post:

[ 28. November 2002, 14:38: Message edited by: PK ]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
ok, so that still leaves open the question as to what to call it when a person cycles through all a move variations of a regular hyperloop buzzsaw (inside hyperloop) . You know, like doing an inside hyperloop from both directions and rotations...

how about just calling the an "inside hyperloop weave" and an "inside hyperloop turning weave"??? sounds good to me

I sort of discovered something, if you do a air wrap (2-beat) and bring it inside (buzzsaw) then you can leave it there for an even number of beats and it will unwrap easily when brought out on the other side. I think it may tie the poi in a knot if you try to unwind it on an odd beat. Seams to make my head spin thinking about it.... This is a "work in progress"

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Oi! I really have to check up on this thread more frequently.

Right...so Santana two--in my experience, you are correct--hyperloop/buzzsaw thing-a-ma-bobber can only be done with even beats on the buzzsaw.

Glass...what LTJ Bukem/Horizons quote?...I missed it. And what's the detours.mpg thing about? Quite lost, I am. You're not talking about Detours...the breakdancing/unconventional dance video with Kujo...are you?

on another note...I kind of liked "toasted nose puppy." It's deceiving in its euphemistic name.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I am currently contemplating submition for the inclusion of certain "double wrap switches" in the Jedi Set. Wrap switches must be done with special gear however, which should not (in and of itself) disqualify them. Wrap switches (for the uninitiated) must be done with poi that have (for instance) a poi head on each end (or glow stick, or FIRE!?!?!) you let it wrap, release, and catch the other end....

Examples include the single neck and double kneck wrap switch from the horizontal overhead butterfly (or possibly corkscrew?). The single may be to easy, however it is still dangerouse. The risk of decapitation during the double should definitly qualify it. Hell, i don't even know if I can do the double, I never even tried...but I think it should be possible.

the double leg wrap switch from a reverse swing (right poi wraps on left leg and left poi on right leg) is also a canidate for jedi worthiness. (the forward one it to easy though (relatively speaking)...

[ 13. November 2002, 12:28: Message edited by: santanatwo ]

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hey, santanatwo,

If ya had a fire head on each end of a chain wouldn’t it be a meteor?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
sanatanatwo... a wrap switch - is this not just a wrapped throw but catching the other end rather than the handle (which kind of prevents you from using them at all with fire)?

surely wrap throws aren't *that* jedi - i'm still pretty unskilled in the grand scheme of things but i'm picking up throws nice and quick now. from what i've found, the wrap throws are faster but more controllable - not exactly core spinning moves like most of the original suggetions...

as richee might say, weighted handles are for cheaters

[edit - spelling]

[ 14. November 2002, 01:12: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
seems to me that people still do not get that the submission of moves to quallify them as jedi moves is not what this is about.
some of the submitted moves have nothing to do with these jedi moves.
as daniel tyler (this is not a dig at you) above with that last post, 2 fire heads makes them meteors... that puts us some where else with moves, a whole new ballgame.
and simple allthough quite a hard move to master this wrapstitch is a very good move within itself, and proves that people are coming up with new stuff for themselves and sharing ideas, but not as i want to trade you this but you have nothing to trade in return (point)
idea's idea's idea's. we have some very good moves in this jedi set compiled by Glass and footage to go with.
the idea's coming from within yourselves will lead you where this thread is taking you.
see for yourselves and open up your eye's follow the path and fullfil your mind. the ideas are within.

keep them coming in.

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
hehe pk
got some jedi applications for poi but mostly double staff however will wait til i'm before the council again to apply.....
R

brain replacement...anyone?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Actually, I guess the fire would be more like realy short meteors....damn. But you could use small flames and wear leather gloves...I have thought of this before ok, maybe i'm crazy for wanting to use fire. Most people wouldn't even notice you were doing wrap switches.

But with the glowsticks on each end (or tennis balls) they can be used exactly like regular poi. They are realy just poi with a handle that looks (exactly) like the poi head.

But I see your point PK. while you can use the wrap switch poi like regular poi, you can't (as easily) use regular poi for wrap switch. regardless, keep the ideas coming.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Ok, I'm sure every body knows what a handcuff wrap is (with two poi at the same time) it can be done from a butterfly or a weave. So, how about doing the afformentioned from a btb weave or a waist wrap. I can do it "all day" from a front weave and butterfly, but btb? Or from a back waist wrap? we shall see...time to go practice what I preach...

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
actually, jedi white aka jt, you know as well as i do that the audience usually doesn't know a butterfly weave from a 5 beat weave, much less a jedi move from a really fast rave spinner. The audience's opinion might count, but not when it comes to being jedi or not....IMHO

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
can anyone answer my questions?

what is the point of this thread and where is it taking you and what is it about?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
pk, i have a feeling that this thread has sort of become an alternative location to post your favourite badass moves.

*snip*

the buzzsaw hyperloop discussion for example has been really interesting.

[ 28. November 2002, 00:55: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
hey coleman, i hear your skils are pretty damn good and i know you understand what i mean. dom told me yesterday before he left that he and drew met you at the weekend and your quite the man busting these moves. would be good to meet you next time we venture down to london.

quote:
this made coleman blush so this stays!

[ 28. November 2002, 14:41: Message edited by: PK ]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
(<-- this is supposed to be the emabaressed smilie even though it looks like someone yawning?!). maybe this one is better

i'm only a beginner - i can't do half of the moves on this thread dude!
i do like playing with interesting concepts though and i've found without a doubt that dom and drew are the right people to get more of those from.

were you @ the last clapham common pitp? i saw someone doing lovely straight-arm butterfly type thingy's with fire ropes and it was suggested that might have been you?

anyhoo, it'd be great to meet ya - i'll at least try and get my isolations sorted for when you next come down to visit so you're not wholly disappointed (should probably learn reverse five beat weave at some point too!)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
what is the point of this thread and where is it taking you and what is it about?

The point of this thread was to bring up all the old bad ass moves that everybody doesn't know about. Unfortunatly I live out in the wilderness, so I am cultraly deprived. Luckily the internet is available....

Where is it taking me? Hopefully to the next higher level of jedi...

What is it about? Sharing ideas!!! People submiting moves that are the hardest ones they know of, people trying to come up with new moves that can be considered jedi.

MOst people have never even seen club swinging, or know that it used to be an olympic sport. so how could we possibly submit moves that match that citeria? But we can still do our best to advance the knowledge of the masses.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Ok, I spent some time with jedi white working on the inside hyperloop. the only requirement for it to work is that the inside beats need to be even numbered...that is final.

however, there may be some variations possible. I didn't work on it yet, but I am pretty sure a recoil (wrap) could be worked into the inside hyperloop. I sort of have it in my head , but I need to try it.

to be continued.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
santanatwo - why are you not blessing us with video of this sh*t?!!??!

come on man, you know a picture is worth a thousand words and seein as avi's are @ 25fps just ten seconds of someone spinning is worth 250,000 words

less typing, more taping!

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I am working on it man, I don't have the hardware set up yet, but I have a video camera with a usb port. I'll need to get a faster computer (pentium III) to make it work though. All I have right now is a pentium II. The mpeg is OK quality, and that is what my camera puts out though the USB port. Brody has a buddy about 500 miles away with a fire wire, so maybe he will get some of it converted to high quality avi over the christmas break.... I am working on it. I got five minutes of bad ass footage last night. started it out with an inside hyperloop weave, just tennis balls and shiny chains on a dark background, but it showed up nicely.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
hey coleman that would have been me doing that long arm stuff, just been working on new stuff for my self with aid of the master longarmer jo derry himself.
be priviaged of drew and dom man.. they are my very best of friends but a shame that dom is off traveling for some time from next week. they have helped me loads since i first met them at the viaduct at vauxhall back in feb. if you saw me a drew when i first arrived at clapham after i got off those damn stilts and out of that mad orange top we were ike right cam out need new stuff to film and go home and work on it.
i got a mad film of drews fuck ups after an all night party and a poi in the park weekender at my house... was really good footage in the end but 80meg is not easy to upload so i passed it on to drew. be a good pupil man i have heard good words about you.

and common man, i gots this bag of piss in front of me less than pentium 2 running so pretty shit hot footage with premier 6.0 and my nice sony digicam takes me 30 mins if that to make a 10 min clip of high quality just wish i had means of uploading most of my stuff.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
and i still hate that 5 beat reverse man my right hand side still lets me down.. you get it gimme a shout.. my timings out... one day one day all in good time. yet today was playing and got a nice 6 no wrap on the right in reverse but that 5 beat hates me man realy.
you wanna see a grown man cry that will be me if it dont come with in six more months.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
it'll be alright PK, I saw your sh@t on col3 man, I know you can do it. Anybody who can turn btb weave has got da skillz. word? you probably need to just set down the poi and do it with you hands only. practice touching your wrists together. you got it on one side right? so look (or feel)at what you are doing. then copy it on the other side. There are actually two different ways to hold you wrists for a 5 beat. maybe you are doing it different on one side. you are talking btb 5 beat right? failing all that, just add some weight to your poi, so they will hurt more when you hit yourself....pain teaches QUICK!!!

The pentium II acts like it should work, but my camera streams it to quick for the harddrive to save it correctly or something, and the data gets all screwed up !@#$%^&*

I got some dedicated machines at work, maybe when the boss isn't looking

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i know the prob with my 5 beat just needs smoothening out i tried the hand thing already and doesnt make a difference you just get a nicer plane with fists back to back.

alls you need is a progie call adobe director 6.0
rip that on to ur drive, then you can codec your flicks and compress so that you can either save em uploaded em or let us all see.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
pk - cheers for trying to make me feel better by acting like you can't do a reverse 5 properly man but i know you nail it compared to most people
i am working loads on learning waistwraps (thanks to drew) and btb wall-plane stuff at the minute and hence still i manage to avoid learning the reverse 5 beat
dom leaving is quite a blow for us londoners - i'm sure he'll be sorely missed by more than just us as he always seems to be teaching someone whenever i see him. that's not to say that i'm not happy he's off to though - i love to see people go travel and (apart from having his teeth ripped from his mouth yesterday) i'm sure he can't wait to go either.
as for straight arm stuff, i'd love to swap some video some time - i should have some of myself and moohaha next week so i'll let ya know when its sorted and maybe then you can show me what its really all about

santanatwo - sounds like your hard drive transfer rate is too low. you may well need a new hard drive before you do anything more - i know i had to get one once i got a dv cos my old one was too slow and as such was doing exactly what you described. just take advantage of your workplace - even if you have to use your lunch hour, i'd love to see some of these hyperloop variations and am far too impatient to wait for ya to save up for a new hard drive

and now in a random fit of internet etiquette i'm bringing this thread back on topic by saying i tried hyperloops with the hop relay fire poi last night.
i'm still crap at hyperloops unfortunately but i had a go and they kind of worked (just nowhere near 'neat' yet).
i wasn't sure how good they would look with fire but you get a lovely 'big circle to little circle' effect goin on that i never really noticed when using normal poi.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
PK -

You made my day at Clapham when you showed my that I could do a move you can't

Cos you're at that level that mortals like me aim for. So I got a little idea that I may just get there one day

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
aww shucks cheers you, you are up and coming Ros, you have what it takes inside you and seem to be progressing real fast and you have an understanding with your poi... keep playing things will come, i gots some better stuff for you to play with when i see you next more waist wrap style stuff with butterflies and wotnot.

hey coleman how is me old bud moohaha, like i aint seen him in ages, say hello from me.
as fo footage i can try and sort soming out, if you can down load 20 meg files i can get them posted on my server via a good mate with broadband.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by fluffy napalm fairy:

Cos you're at that level that mortals like me aim for. So I got a little idea that I may just get there one day

you will get there, this is a problem i have with my self and that is that people such as drew and dom and some real good friends tell me that i am this good and i do not believe them because i still have a lot to learn. i believe that you are a very very good swinger and you should be proud as we can not see our selves spin so we feel in adequate in our abilities so to believe some one else that is watching is hard. you have a real good style and a feel for learning and see things happening and understand how things work and to go away and play with new stuff just like we do, its just that some people find it hard and others a little easier. you should not think of yourself as being a lesser mortal and i hope you do not feel that i am some sort of master type person, that isnt me, i need to learn loads more yet. considering that you live in the stix down south i have seen you every now and again busting some real good moves and so fluently with your own gratious style.
As for moves that i couldnt do and you can is just a case for me to learn i cant remember what it was that you did and i probably got it now but thats not the point, for a self taught spinner out there with no others you should praise yourself.
i have to thank drew and dom and jo derry right now for giving me inspiration because not in a big headed way i have no one on my level here any more and am just teaching others what i have leaned recently, there must be 20 soming fresh beginers at teapots this semester that are ragging my head to teach them basics which is good, but not for me to learn new stuff. which takes us to the aim of this thread... moves are with in, not about posting the most hardest old skool forgoten moves that not many people can do. venture into your mind and you will aid yourself and take you to the next level.
but as you put it in your post that you see me as being on a higher level, i have been hating my spinning recently and looking at old footage and wishing i still had a certain style that i used to do.. but things progress and so do stlyes.
i hope this helps you and i hope i am not in such i high place in your mind now as i am affraid of hights so put me back down i dont deserve it. but thanks ros.

san : back to your post about my col footage......man thats old old footage... made before the col date and i had only been spinning for like 5 months man.... but like i said to ros above i wish i still had a certain things from that style and others as i progress.

my style right now is kinda hard because most of my spinning is in front of hundreds of people every time and like only get 4 mins to do some fire in each show, but then most of what i do is fire breathing. so my style for now is kinda like for crowds and stuck in rut, sort of presentation style and set routine type sets. i hate this time for bouncing around again, just wish that some stages in clubs were big enough for me to do this. i just hate on the spot routines I NEED FREEDOM! lol.
i thank you to for the confidence boost and you oppinion on my footage, maybe i should post some thing new up on my server. i have 2 nice movies i made this past 2 weeks. gimme time to upload if i get round to it.

be kewl and play safe.

Page: ...