Forums > Social Chat > finally, my own fire poi!

Login/Join to Participate

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
I finally got off my butt and made myself some fire poi smile I've never had my own before, and it's been about a month since I last lit up. They're kind of fun to play with, although now that I'm working on some more advanced btb moves and such, I'm a little reluctant to try some of that stuff with fire. I hit myself in the shins too much and I'm afraid I'm going to burn off all of my leg hair! Plus sometimes I get myself tangled pretty badly with my regular poi. A friend of mine was playing with a fire jump rope one time while he was drinking and somehow managed to tangle his legs with it. I think he stopped doing fire so much after that.I'm using tennis balls covered in electrical tape as handles so that I can throw them in the air. It's unfortunate that I can only catch one end, but I can still do a lot of cool stuff smile

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Hooray Bassman!So you've made fire poi out of tennis balls? How does that work?Leg hair schmeg hair. You weren't _using_ it for anything, were you? wink-protie

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
Well, the poi that I usually use are basically chains with tennis balls on each end. They're like mini meteors I guess. There are no leather straps. You just have to hold on to one of the tennis balls on either end as you are swinging.With my fire poi, I use kevlar wicks on one end, and tennis balls on the other. The tennis balls are just there for me to hold onto and so that I can throw and catch them easily smile

sandmanmember
65 posts

Posted:
Interesting! I was toying with the idea of throws and catches with my poi the other day. Having a weighted handle would certainly open up more possibilities. Does anyone do this? I haven't seen any poi throws on vid or in real life.

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
Well, I do it. I'm an anyone smile No I actually haven't seen anyone else do it, but I know that they are out there. I've heard that there is a guy that can do 5 meteors at once and throw them in the air and stuff. I hardly find it believable, but I've been told this buy 3 different people that saw the video. I'm going to try to get my hands on that video at some point.There has been a little bit of discussion on homeofpoi about throwing poi. Here's a thread from June: https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000066.html

tricky56member
23 posts

Posted:
actually I can land a couple of throw moves with a set of poi that I have made, and some how manage to do it pretty well with fabric poi too. Oh well, one thing that works really well is do double leg wraps whil spinning poi backwards when they come back around in a forward rotation release them perpindicular to the ground and catch them. The trick is getting the proper number of rotations and right angle to catch them at.

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
tricky -- I think I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure. Perhaps you can show me in person. Are you going to the meeting tonight? I have no idea who you are. There are so many spinners in Austin. It's great smile