Page: ...
GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Throughout the world of poi there walk a breed aside from other moves. Many have claimed that they don’t exist, or that they did, but that they died out with some long lost tribe of poi masters, and now they are “just legends”. But, they exist, and not just in the fairy tales we tell young poisters and poiettes to make then scared of the bogie poi that live under their beds.

The Jedi set are the most technical of the most technical moves.
The Jedi set are the poi swinging moves which defy the known laws of the physical world.
For everyone of them, at the moment only a handful are known, is utterly a Jedi move.

Until recently the easiest known move in the the jedi set was a 5 beat weave to reverse 5 beat weave behind the back, preferably done in the wall plane. And yet some exciting new discoveries uncovered using the latest state of the are technology in archeopoilogy. New additions have been threatening to join the ranks of the Jedi set, The Eight Council of Poi demi-gods are currently in congress to determine the place if any of these exciting new finds which include 2 air wraps within the Jedi set.

Not everything is known of the origins of the Jedi set. But it is much hinted in pagan folklaw, that in days of old back in martober two mysterious men, possibly of a tribe of orangeness denoted by their attire met in a misty field in Clay-pham a small village near Londinium. And lo, One of them who may have been the legendary Jedi Tony Touch spaketh unto the other, (the ugly stupid one with poor personal hygiene) who is, it is rumoured to be a distant forefather of the author. (alas the lineage has never been proven).

“That move is utterly Jedi.”

And to the sounds of trumpets from between the legs of a chorus of angels, the Jedi set was gently placed by a large crane amongst the meeting of poiers.
And the quest began...

That was many moons ago, and little remains to document what happened in that original quest...

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Since that time, I have been attempting to piece together the work of the gods, to re-assemble the Jedi set. by trawling through the encyclopeadia of Poi original first edition, and such weighty tombs as the ancient mayan encyclopoidia. And in communion with the spirits in the ether to find moves never recorded long hence forgotten.

Here are some of the results of the quest so far:

[ 24 October 2002, 13:05: Message edited by: glass ]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
One of the Candidates applying to join the set, appeared this summer, presented by a pixie named Mia in a far off land of Bremen by the lake.

This move is a plucky young upstart which goes by the name of:

7 beat weave to reverse 7 beat weave without wrapping

If it is a member of the set, then it is certainly the most ugly and most unpleasant member, disliked by many of the know members, it nevertheless possesses a certain dark twisted charm.

An artists impression of this move rendered in live cini-color by the magic of modern video editing technology resides in the same place mentioned below under the title of hyperloops.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
5 beat weave to reverse 5 beat weave behind the back

and in the wall plane just to make it a bit harder.

currently this is the easiest confirmed member of the set.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Hyperloops - one of the family of air wraps. A small but exquisitely noble family in the poi kingdom with only 10 known members.

Entering the wrap on one side of the body and exiting on the other, usually added into a weave. It is rumoured that one of these elusive creatures as recently caught on film and that film can be found in the staff section in the poi household, in a thread called glass staff video and DJ Shadow?? Little more is known....

two more of the candidates for the set exist in the same family, and are very interesting, the hyperloop maxi plus (Real name unknown, this temporary name is probably based on a press-on towel with wings), is a hyperloop with an airwrapped buzzsaw in the middle , stretching the boundaries of poisibilities.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Double neck wrap and reverse double neck wrap
To describe this move using the vehicle of words may be considered fruitless. So I shall describe them with fruit.

Plum, apple, mango, Sharon fruit, banana.

Or

Left hand anticlockwise in the wall plane, head down forwards, bring the poi up to the neck so that it wraps one turn in, then throw head back so that the poi comes up under the chin, and starts to unwind, the poi drops down the back rather than continuing on to strangle the neck. It’s a keep going through wrap, not a stop wrap (unsurprisingly if its In the Jedi Set). The poi unwraps one turn of the neck BTB and comes out with the hand moving upwards.

The Jedi move is where both poi do the wrap around the neck in opposite directions simultaneously.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Isolations

Recently sighted on HOP Here

Imagine a buzzsaw, but instead of the poi around the outside and the hands at the middle, the hands and the poi are at the outside of the circle and everything spins around the middle of the poi, continuously. Some days they may be impossible.

Bugger that I'm going back to play with my video camera. back in a couple of weeks with another movie

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
eesh, i feel blasphemous even posting here...

but anyways, what a great topic, keep up the great work glass...

(and i eagerly await proof of the isolations)

[ 24 October 2002, 14:24: Message edited by: Whiffle Squeek ]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Wow, those moves sound incredable - something new to aim for after I finally manage to get the btb weave sorted methinks.

So far, I can do 1, sometimes 2 beats of the buzzsaw isolation - looks like I'm still a padawan

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I feel vaguely honored that I'm capable of one of the Jedi set, even if it is the easiest! I feel a warning should be included with the double neckwraps - be careful if you're trying these with thin strings, such as those on HoP performance poi. Danger of stragulation aside, it is possible to cut quite deeply into the skin if things go slightly wrong. Not good on the neck, what with all those important blood vessels and such!

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
The isolations will make mockery of even the finest Jedi Knights. A move of the highest skill and power known in the force, once mastered they are ellusive buggers and bloody well decide not to bloody work in front of important people! grrrr!

just my 2 cents

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i'm trying not to seem like a plucky young upstart (which *is* all i am here) but, according to my friends on the dark side, the double neck wrap is actually the easiest of the jedi moves - looks hard, is scary but actually not that difficult (imho). admittedly, reverse one is infinitely more scary.

isolations?

but what i really want to say is 'thank-you'. this post is a *great* idea and although i still have failed to witness a hyperloop or any decent air-wrap for that matter, i aspire to (one-day) trying to learn all of these. i saw a sort of butterfly waistwrap thing recently that looked gorgeous - maybe not jedi but if isolations get in then this baby is a sure candidate...

ps. no disrespect but can anyone really picture yoda doing a 7-beat weave?! with those little stumpy arms?! and anyone else notice the sith use staff...? the plot thickens...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
coleman you been talking to the one handed master jez again.
The Jedi count is made with fire, not with stripy sox poi.

Only a fool or a jedi would attempt
A double neck wrap with fire.
(I won't....yet)

Anyway, 5bt2rev5btBTB aint that hard, it only took 2 hours.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i know not of jez but i retract my earlier statement on the grounds that trying to prove i am right, would undoubtedly reult in my face dripping onto my shoes the first time i messed it up.

on a similar note: isolated buzzsaw with fire - possibly the best way to warm your hands up when spinning in the cold...?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
EDITED!
i can do the 7 beat to reverse 7 beat no wrap..

(can i point out at this time it is the most uglyest and most pointless thing i have ever been able to do.... erm apart from that gurl 6 years ago called louise but thats another story)
glass i need new moves..
hehe

[ 28. November 2002, 14:30: Message edited by: PK ]

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Mighty fine post mr glass, mighty fine. Not only an enjoyable read, but also a great set of truly esoteric moves. I also enjoyed the video, and reckon everything I do has improved since watching it. Well, I’m looking harder at what I do, and I’m trying to be more inventive by just going with the flow. Love those Isolations.

The movie coming out before the book kinda reminded me of that other SF classic - “2001 a space odyssey”. However, one question remains mr glass. Why weren’t the Phantom Phountains included in the set? Surely, they must be among the most illusive of moves

Great stuff

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've seen the double neck-wrap. On fire. The guy got it right once, and then got it wrong. Good thing his safety person was quick with the towel.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Sailor25member
16 posts

Posted:
Is there any video of these moves? I just can't seem to visualize what they should look like. And failing that I have no idea how to procede.

Sailor25member
16 posts

Posted:
Another move ready for inclusion into the Jedi Set, Mr Glass you must make the final decision?

Reverse butterfly to regular in just 4 steps

1. Start with a reverse Buterfly, with the chains about 4 foot long.

2. Slowly bend backwards, bringing the Poi to a horizonly plane, and resting only your head and feet on the ground.

3. Stall on your shins, and when pulling the poi from your legs bring your legs out with the poi (now you are lying on the ground.

4. Flip strait from your back with the Poi in a butterfly to your feet bringing them back to the horizontle.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Wow, what a great thread!

Keep the ideas coming, glass!

Raphael

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
theorys of relativity are becoming of us glass we need new moves, ones that can remain secret for as long as possible (about 10 seconds if Doms around).

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
hurray =) I can do the Hyperloop you had in your DJ shadow video, glass and I can do the 8(or 7...) beat weave without wrapping

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
My candidate move for the Jedi set is a reverse weave on the right side of the body. As you go to cross over to the left side you do a 2beat windmill, but only in front of the body not a full windmill (air wrap?) this will then put you into a weave on the left side of the body, now to go back into the reverse weave on the right, you do a chasing the sun in front of you, without it going behind your head, once it is at the bottom, you can switch it into a reverse weave onto the right. Some will say it is a fountain *glares at Flynt* but it isn't. I believe that I may have rediscovered the lost ULTRAWEAVE spoken of by the ancient texts

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a fountain to me, only with half the windmill instead of it all.

Do that 5-beat btb and we'll talk Oh, and keep it in the wall plane. And when they go between your legs, do a 4-beat whatever-you-call-a-btl-windmill instead of just a 2.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
ARGHHHHH, it not fountain.... it new move!!! It has been acknowldged as a new move were I live

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Bram, I believe that's an waist wrap you're describing (the chasing the sun ting is called a 'carry'). Is there an air wrap (or poi on poi wrap) in it? 'cos that's be a variation

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Tiss too

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
bram - that def sounds like a waistwrap.
just learnt that myself but the other way round (back 2-beat on right to forwards 2-beat on left).

i'm trying to get all the variations (check the 'what is a waistwrap' thread for a proper description) at the moment but am for now ignoring the btb/round the side of the body type moves!
the hardcore ww is like your move but the following hand goes behind the back. this just ends up with me getting tangled!
my feeble suggestion for a jedi move is this but instead of weaves, you do it with butterflies.

if i could do it, i would sort out some video but i can't! however i do know a man who can (and a girl but she refuses to do poi in front of a lens - "it ssstealsss your sssoul...") so let me know if you wanna see it and i'll sort a video next week.

[ 02 November 2002, 00:41: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Err sorry its been so long, I had to visit the urologist of the eighteenth council of poi demi-gods.
the verdict is... the council announce with regret that none of the recent moves which were applicants to te jedi council have been sucessful. They wish to clarify:

- That the jedi set are all purebreed poi moves,
- That all the existing the members of the jedi set are the hardest move of their type.
- That they are all utterly Jedi.

so in order:
Sailor 25. NOPE. the council felt that despite this sounding to be a very inpressive move, and that they would be interested to see such a novel phenomenon.

But holy divination showed it to be not of the jedi. The spinning is basic and on the grand scale of things the acrobatics is fairly basic to.

The inclusion of acrobatics suggest that it is also not a purebread pedigree.

coleman the council say forget it, not even close, too easy. Front waist wrap pretty much comes under category of basic spinning. Even with butterfly is intermediate. not feeble though. a very respected move. Admittedly split time (opp direction)is LURVERLY, and hard work above your head.) but no jedi. ps if your collecting all waistwrap family, its one of the biggest families, I've not counted recently, but i reckon your looking at at least 50 plus their reverse, thats about 100 moves. but they're not jedi so no more talk of them here.

bram what your describing sounds very waist wrappy. Air wraps and family are up infront of the board as applicants for the jedi set.
but tell me more what WORD have you heard of the long lost ULTRAWEAVE, The last I have heard it that it was sighted somewhere near the kayman islands.

Pk
If you have to ask.... not yet
(hell, I'm not, I'm just a beginner studying their ways )
the moves you want are inside of you
Some of the poi moves that I'm waiting for are comming from you.
so quit following, start leading.
My energy is with my stick, yours is with poi.
I posting these as part of my aim to hang up my poi.

Kinudin, nice one
stone cool
Ros LOL

be cool
I'll keep you updated.
Glass

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I have come across no reported sightings of the sacred ultraweave. but I will undertake a quest to find the fabled Ultraweave, in which the reverse and forwards weave are joined into one move. Now here the scrolls are fuzzy, glass. does the ultraweave involve the poi going btb and forwards all in one fluid movement so as to give the impression of detachable arms which spin completely around the body, therefore achieveing the poi 'god' state. or can it on eitehre sie of the body?

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I have a question for those of full poi-god status, questioning as just a mere desciple wishing for insight into what he does not know. I quest the name and nature of a hyperloop that does not travel directly from one side of the body to the other; rather, it travels inbetween the arms for 2, 4, 6, etc. beats then exits out the other side. As I do this move often now, I wonder if it is simply a modified hyperloop, or rather, if it is its own monstrocity. Either way, what might it be called?

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

Page: ...