JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
Not Butterfly! Works much the same as a TTN though, one arm gets pulled back ontop of the other, then flips under and they switch position. Forward is easier.

Start doing a figure-8 (standing paralell to the planes of rotation, so they pass infront then under the armpit) with your right arm extended straight out to the side and your left arm going under your right armpit.

As soon as your left poi goes under your arm (thus behind you, your right should allready be there) start into a 5-beat weave, and bring your hands together. Your left hand should slide down the backside of your right arm while you are also bringing your right hand closer to your body.

Your hands should meet at the same time as your left poi is ready to lead back to the left (or in this case, infront) side. Now, as your right hand follows across it should be pulled back along the top of your left arm. It should do one rotation going back ontop, then flip under your left arm for another rotation. At this time you begin to push your right hand back down your left arm until they meet agan and your right poi leads back across.

The basic visual effect is two circles with a spiral leading to and from each of them, while your arms slide back and forth across eachother and seem to pass through one another at the crossover point.

I'm not very good at describing things, so if anyone knows what I'm talking about please help clerify this.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

OdinBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
I find this description difficult to understand. But i am very interested in the butterfly family of moves. I can do something which i suspect is the butterfly weave (fwds BTF on my right, bwds BTF on my left - in split timing). There was a thread by Bassman somewhere in the depths of HOP prehistory that described the TTN weave, but that involved doing both fwd & reverse TTN in Split Timing which is something i just CANnOT achieve.

However your description seems to suggest that all you have to do is the fwd TTN in front & behind your body. But i don't know if this is in Split timing of same timing. it sounds like a very interesting & shapely move in any case & i would love to get it right.

At the windowsill ...

OdinBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
I find this description difficult to understand. But i am very interested in the butterfly family of moves. I can do something which i suspect is the butterfly weave (fwds BTF on my right, bwds BTF on my left - in split timing). There was a thread by Bassman somewhere in the depths of HOP prehistory that described the TTN weave, but that involved doing both fwd & reverse TTN in Split Timing which is something i just CANnOT achieve.

However your description seems to suggest that all you have to do is the fwd TTN in front & behind your body. But i don't know if this is in Split timing of same timing. it sounds like a very interesting & shapely move in any case & i would love to get it right.

At the windowsill ...

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
That is correct. The butterfly weave is basicly just a TTN on both sides. This however is a 5-beat weave. I said TTN because just with the butterfly you need to pull your hands back down the other's arm, with this you also need to pull one hand into yourself at a time.

Were I more computer literate I might be able to get a video onto this computer thingie, but I do hope to get an entry in for COL4. This will be on there, though that's kinda a long time from now.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i think i know what ya mean - like doing three beat weaves in the wall plane, over a straight arm directly out to one side or another. i've just started doing this with the butterfly weave and found can be done with same-time butterfly too. i think this is the basic version of what you're describing.

is this right but doing 5 beats rather than just three on each side and bringing the butterfly together on the last two for the crossover? that would look gorgeous even if its not what you're saying! will try it out later...

i saw someone using fire ropes (or snakes or whatever), wearing no top, doing similar moves at the last poi in the park at clapham. reliably informed it was someone from sheffield but didn't get to say hello as i was busy burning myself with another pair of strings-o-fire.

anyone claiming to be this person might well be able to discuss this further with you...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I still don't quite understand what this wall-plane is, but from what I read it sounds like all my spinning is done in it. (wall plane, poi spin infront and behind you, not side to side?)

Sounds kina like you know what I'm talking about, only when you start to do it in 5-beat it flows much better.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jaeden:
wall plane, poi spin infront and behind you, not side to side?
i only found this out a few days ago courtesy of that nice see-through bloke...

quote:
Originally posted by glass:

wall plane is "juggling wall plane" where balls would be if you were juggling
back wall plane. same BTB.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

iluminaryfaeriemember
89 posts

Posted:
pssst what does TTN stand for?

orangu-funking-tan

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
TTN stands for Thread The Needle. It is a butterfly move. I use it here only because the move I've tried to describe uses a similar hand movement.

Psychmember
14 posts

Posted:
Hey Jaeden

I really can't follow that at all man! Is it the same move a I posted (when I thought I'd made it up - foolish me) in the "Almost certainly not a new move, but hey you never know" thread (sorry - don't know how to do the html link things). If not can you explain again as it sounds pretty damn cool!

The one I posted is definitely the same as the one Odin talks about that Bassman posted ages ago (he explains it a bit better I think). Mine is done with split (or out of phase) timing.

PLUR

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
and again, THIS IS NOT A BUTTERFLY OR ANY VARIANT THEREOF!!!

Ok, do a forward 5-beat weave.
As soon as your the poi in your left hand crosses over to your right side, start to slide that hand(L) down your right arm.
Your left hand should be ontop of your right arm.
The left poi does one circle ontop of your right arm, then one underneath (by your armpit).
at this point it is time so slide your left hand back down your right arm untill your wrists cross to move the 5-beat weave to the other side where the whole thing is repeated only switch L and R.