Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > the wide wide world of throws

Login/Join to Participate

markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
As far as i can see(at the moment)there are three types of throws.
1 throws that make the poi the center of rotation.
when swinging backwards wait till the poi swings up to the middle point of its swing (3 o'clock).this is the important bit,hands facing down flick the handles down so the poi stays where it is and the handle rotates around it all the way back 2 your hand.easy.
2 drifty throws.
these r easy throws you just let go of the poi as its on the way up.follow it and catch it.this can be used from btb, under the legs or any where.
3 half wrap.
this works like it sounds.the easyst to learn is the leg one but there are arm ones, wrist ones and many more.first swinging backwards open your choosen leg to the side you wish to use.swing the poi under the leg from behind so it gos down inbetween your legs , then it will go up and toward the top it will start to come back towards you, this is when to let go and catch it
Hint;you can almost catch this throw befor you throw it.?.
enjoy the wide wide world of throws
Let go of those pois!!!!!!!!

Markeespark Sparkeemark & me

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
oooh good post

and I remember ther are 2 kinds of catch.
Those that do and those that don't.

and then there are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't.

[ 22 October 2002, 10:11: Message edited by: glass ]

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Glass - that took me ages to get

how funny

I'm gonna start learning throws now - thank you mark

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Accipitermember
6 posts

Posted:
Markeespark

Could you run that first throw by me again? Maybe it's chem lag or maybe I'm just not getting it.

Odi et amo: quare id faciam, fortasse requiris. Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior. -Catullus

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
Accipiter:

the poi is released so that it stays stationary (or nearly so) while spinning in the air, almost as if you had thrown a staff...

to do this most easily, release the poi when it is at the bottom of its rotation, and flick the handle forward to make up for its lack of mass, this should cause the poi to rotate as if the center of mass was in the middle of the string and thus prevent it from flying off to the great beyond...

good luck...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

iluminaryfaeriemember
89 posts

Posted:
oooooooh aaaaaaaaaaah
i like i like

thanks dear
*gonna go break shit in her room now*

orangu-funking-tan

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Apparently - amongst the people that can count - 5 out of 4 can't do fractions...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Whiffle Squeek:
...flick the handle forward to make up for its lack of mass, this should cause the poi to rotate as if the center of mass was in the middle of the string...
sorry to be the resident physics geek but when the poi are freely spinning - ie. there is no pivot (like your hand) attached to them - they *must* spin around their centre of mass.
luckily, the centre of mass of most poi are near to the ball/wick since in comparison, the handle is very light (the string/chain can be ignored because it has even mass distribution along its length). a flick on release will speed up the rotation however so it is worth doing.

--- smartarse rant ends ----

markeespark - i LOVE these throws! it seems some are good for direction changes (alternative to a stop or wrap) and others just look good.
and like wraps, once you do one, you can work out a *load* of others
cheers for the inspiration - or should i say 'spark'...?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'm in a bit of a "throwy" mood at the moment and have come up with some nice ones (Not saying they're original, just that I can do them)

One each way - Throw (well, release) the backwards spinning one -> Forward spinning. If you put a low or tuck turn after this you can get a nice flow going.

As above but after catching, on the down swing do an over-the-shoulder-from-behind throw back into one each way

Both backwards - Double release -> Forward

As above but do a double over-the-shoulder-from-behind and catch them both

Butterfly - Right hand goes over then as if to stall but keeps the momentum going and throws the poi up and under your left arm to be caught at your side -> Forwards spinning

As above but after catch swing it back under your left arm, throw and back into butterfly

Butterfly - One arm under-leg throw
As above but reverse butterfly

The one I REALLY want to get - and personally I consider it a Jedi move, though it's yet to be entered into the list - is a butterfly, double release into reverse butterfly. I've got close about once...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Durbs:
butterfly, double release into reverse butterfly. I've got close about once...
i've been dreaming about this one too! have come close to trashing several living rooms trying to get it but only one hand seems to throw right at a time with this

another throw that i'm working on (only managed it about five times up till now) is the low turn with double release before the turn and double catch afterwards.
this switches the direction you are facing and the direction of the poi; which means you start spinning forwards, throw, turn, catch and continue spinning forwards.

it also swaps the hands your poi are in but it doesn't notice since most people use matching poi anyway

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Maybe it would be easier - I haven't tried it, it's raining outside and I've just thought of it - to try it split time?

This would allow you to focus on each throw one at a time, as opposed to both together. It'd be much more like club juggling this way too - so could be easier if you're that way inclined.

I'll try it when it stops raining (probably next year in the UK)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
Your right, it is raining a hell of a lot here. In the midlands we've had it every day since I got back to uni I think!

Out of interest, do the throws work well with fire?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
will_uk - ignore the weather, do what i do - trash your room! welcome to HOP by the way. check out this:

throws in the dark thread

to be honest, i only started doing throws since this thread (cheers again mark) so i haven't had the chance to try throws with fire yet (i only know one person crazy enough to do fire in their living room and it definitely isn't me!)... roll on friday

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
cool durbs Ive been working on these throws also and they are tight!
Ive got the dbl butterfly throw and its cool,you can do it with pois at each side or you can do it wiht one in frount and one behind(no look style).
good shit durbs ! let go of your pois! Yeah!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Throws are something I tink about every now and again. My practice throwing poi are equaly weighted on each end (monkey fists). And I throw my flags a lot because they throw so well.

The reverse butterfly throw is easier normal butterfly time, at least I think so. I don't think it's Jedi.

Some throws I do (mainly with flags and my poi that will throw differently from poi with center of spin near to the poi head):

* Clockwise windmill. Right hand goes behind the back and releases poi to throw over the left shoulder back into a curve into the right hand.
* As above, but angle of poi throw puts it in a position for the left hand to catch. The left hand does a throw over the head to be caught in the right hand.
* As first one, but from butterfly, and can be caught into a weave.
* Spin forwards, tuck hands under armpits, let go of poi and they'll sail forwards ready to be caught again.
* As above but crossing over to be caught in alternate hands.
* Reverse spin, throw both poi straight up in to the air, turn your body, and catch the poi as they come down.
* Behind the back reverse weave. As the poi come up under the other arm let go. Catch with same hand. You might find it easier to turn in the direction of the thrown poi, taking the other poi to the opposite side from the catch, so you go into a forwards weave.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Cuh! There's always one isn't there!
Someone comes along and is all like "Oh yeah, that's easy..."

Just joking Dom, and thanks for the more things to practice.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Did I say any of it was easy? Some of this stuff I get one time in 10.

will_ukBRONZE Member
83 posts

Posted:
thanks coleman, but my room is about the size of a telephone box on its side.

Still, I can practise short poi in there.

LPHmember
20 posts

Posted:
*u can also try behind the back weave ,and then release the right poi under the leg(during the weave) .bring the left poi forward to continue weave after catching the right poi(with the right hand ).
*another 1 is avariation on athrow posted here before ,do the reverse butterfly ,release the right poi so it does acircle over the left hand ,catch it infront of your body with your right hand under the leg .
*while spinning backwards ,throw both pois under the legs catching them infrot of your body .you can throw them together ,or split time .
*spin backwards ,spin the left poi on the inside of your arm (inside circle. kinda burn the nose with 1 hand ),let the right poi go under the leg ,release it ,and catch it infront .if you time it correctly ,both poi would do an inward circle ,the left 1 in your hand ,the right 1 in the air.
*the same as before ,but spinning forwards ,throwing it under the leg to behind the back burn the nose ,and catch .this 1 i still can not do .
happy spinning ppl
p.s.
hope i was clear enough .most of the time i just ramble and ramble ,yada yada ...oops ...as i am doin now ...adios

LPHmember
20 posts

Posted:
hmm...it just dawned on me ...abehind the back burn the nose ,is actually ...burn the back .Dow!

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
i hate to be the beginer. as it seems i am. but could someone please explane in not experienced poier language what throws are. *bushes* they seem very cool and i do wish to learn.

anyone in my area that spins out there??? get a hold of me if you are.....

t

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
throws are letting go of your poi!
disconnecting yuor hands from your handles,which after playing wiht throws you might find it easyer to hold between firger and thumb not lock or looped in in any way,any way.
have fun and let go of your pois everyone!