Forums > Social Chat > Performing with makeshift poi

Login/Join to Participate

sandmanmember
65 posts

Posted:
We had our office summer party the other day in a big barn with a stage and loads of free booze. On the tables various toys had been provided: silly hats, grass skirts, and... yo-yos! No idea why they provided yo-yos, but imagine how pleased I was to discover that they lit up when swung round.So, I go into a poi swinging performance in front of the stage, and someone notices and says over the mike 'ladies and gentlemen, the king of the yo-yos!' So everyone looks round and starts cheering and applauding! Went really well for a while until I hit one of the yo-yos on the ground and it shattered into a thousand pieces.Great fun, and it got me loads of attention (I crave attention smile ) So anyway, has anybody else performed with 'unorthodox' or makeshift equipment? You don't always have to have your poi with you to perform!

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I read on here that someone spun a pair of computer mice as poi.A little boy at my family reunion yesterday swung his shoes in an effort to imitate Pele.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Very cool Sandman! What fun! I never knew yo-yo's could shatter though. I knew they could break but my issue is normally the little platic part goes flying off the string!!! And that is just when I am trying to yo-yo! grin (I suck at it) I think I'd be terrified to try to twirl them!Yeah, that little boy was so cute with his sandles!!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Masayamember
6 posts

Posted:
Before I got my fire poi, when the addiction had me in it's grasp, I brought yo yo's, the ones that light up when you spin them as a replacement light. I broke millions of them and my poor neighbours must have been finding little bits of plastic in thier gardens for weeks! I also worked as a waitress part-time whilst doing my degree where i tied knots in tea towels to spin at work and practice new moves. Thank god I moved to Brighton where I could get hold of decent equipment or god knows what I would be spinning with now!!!

xxx Masaya xxx

Masayamember
6 posts

Posted:
Before I got my fire poi, when the addiction had me in it's grasp, I brought yo yo's, the ones that light up when you spin them as a replacement light. I broke millions of them and my poor neighbours must have been finding little bits of plastic in thier gardens for weeks! I also worked as a waitress part-time whilst doing my degree where i tied knots in tea towels to spin at work and practice new moves. Thank god I moved to Brighton where I could get hold of decent equipment or god knows what I would be spinning with now!!!

xxx Masaya xxx

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
Where I live, on the beach you can find very nice algae about 1 meter long with a thin stem and a big head in the end. It look like poi and you can spin them about 5 min before they break grin

o]-[DasK]-[o

sandmanmember
65 posts

Posted:
Cool, 100% natural grow your own poi! Come to think of it, I did once make do with a couple of satsumas on strings.