Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > isolated buzzsaw (and what people call things)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
"if glass does the inverted buzzsaw thing please kick his a$$ for me"

NYC wrote this a little while back and after searching the site i still can't find any mention of what it actually is...

from what i did find, the buzzsaw is another name for burn the nose (names, names, names and more names). if this is so, what does it mean to 'invert' it?

and while i'm pestering you all for info, is there a popular name for doing btn on the horizontal plane (so you can spin around with it)?

[ 27 October 2002, 17:59: Message edited by: colemaniacal ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I think NYC meant a buzzsaw isolation, where the centre of rotation moves down the string towards the poi. Don't ask how to do this, we can't tell you. There might be a video soon.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Isolations with poi.
I can *almost* do them, and them sometimes I think that they're impossible again.

they're insane, they're one of the "taking the weight off" moves. Imagine doing a buzzsaw, but instead of your hands being in the middle and the poi at the outside of the circle, you have your hands and the outside of the circle, so that your left hand is moving next to the right poi and right hand next to left poi.
everything is spinning around the midddle of the poi string.
Get it.
I don't know if I do.
they are utterly jedi.

Don't have tails

And for your next question...
"If glass does one of those Hyperloop things, kick his butt for me."

be cool
Glass
__
be

[ 16 October 2002, 07:29: Message edited by: glass ]

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I can do a few of those, but I can only do one beat before having to come out again. Must learn to sustain it.

I learned by concentraring on one hand at a time, and trying to spin the poi while moving my hand in a circle directly across from the poi. After you get it down, as glass said, the both your poi and your hand are spinning around the center of the string.

Anyways, it wourked for me, so give it a shot if you like!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I can't do it, but I can photoshop it so I can look like I can.

I also can SAY I can do it on the internet because, who's going to check me? It's easy, just kinda move your arms like this?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
cheers for the info glass. thanks 2 dom too for actually showing me one of these 'isolation' thingys last night.

like paddy, i sort of learnt to do one (only on my left) just taken out of a normal weave.

it truly is zen.

as for doing it constantly in a buzzsaw? i'll leave that to the hyperlooping-sevenbeat-airwrapping guru's among you.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
after spinning with Dom in Paris I can just about do one beat of 'isolation' in the weave on each side, and one or two in the buzzsaw. very messily.

I reckon now I understand the concept though I will be able to refine it

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
:shudders:

can you imagine the speed needed to sustain isolation???

im gonna say, almost seriously (because theres always gonna be someone who can), that its humanly impossible for more than one beat...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
wiffle, slower than the speed of thought.
slower than poi can spin, then slower still

but no, they're impossible today, see its a waining moon, tides are all wrong. They're not going to happen

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
What can I say? There have been a lot of new and innovated moves posted recently, but I’m having trouble just visualising this one, let alone doing it.

Would the action be anything like peddling (push bike action) with your hands out front??? Dunno, crank like. The centre of the circle being the middle of the chain, b/t the hand and poi. Am I even close??? Sounds extremely difficult.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yep, think what you're thinking is right. It's one of those concepts it takes a bit of time to realise, then a lot longer to actually do! Have to see if we've got any good examples on video.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thank’s Dom

You guy’s sure come up with some interesting concepts. Will give it a go tonight after work.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
Ohh... I think I get it. One of my friends was trying to show me how to do a weave like that, though he hadn't done it for a while and kinda forgot how.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
'peddling' with your hands if your doing buzzsaw isolations sounds just the trick

good luck -

Dom gave me some but it hasn't worked. Maybe someone else will get it to function better.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
the longest I have on video is only 37 beats.
I got some good ones on video, very dull footage, byut good iso
need to edit them up
Dom shall I mail them to you like last time?

seems that lunar cycles are right for them today
them be illusive little buggers

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
yep

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Glass, and Dom, mail me the same, I'll try to get a copy of mine mailed to you as well. 9 beats of buzzsaw, switch to 12 beats of weave very sloppy on left side. Thanks. Candykid322@aol.com

PLUR
DOC

[ 24 October 2002, 15:28: Message edited by: DocLiquid ]

Let us Light up the Night

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
anyone still not grasping the concept... grab a single poi, then spin your hand around in a circle in the horizontal plane - like your stirring a big pot. The center of spin of the poi should move down the rope, towards the end.. and if you go real fast, should go all the way so the end of you poi is stationary, while your hand goes nuts around it.

now all you have to do is do it with both hands, offset, and in the vertical plane!

(if this description is misleading, someone let me know - as i've never actually seen this jedi move performed)

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
how incredubly original.
goes to show that twirling as an art form is always in a state of growth. kinda like fungus, but nicer smelling.
thanks for the new direction, dudes! keep up the good funguses!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by falloutboy:
and if you go real fast, should go all the way so the end of you poi is stationary, while your hand goes nuts around it.
i've never seen anyone pull this off.
maybe steve austin could manage it (just with one arm mind).
i'll have a go later with some mini poi but sincerely doubt my ability to even get close!

middle of the string isolations look great i reckon and are easily hard enough to keep even the best of you lot busy for a few weeks.
once you get up to 37 continuous beats in a buzzsaw, try it with the poi string @ 90 degrees to each other...
go on, i dare ya.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
"(if this description is misleading, someone let me know ...."
you know
falloutboy, i think that what your describing would be impossible in vertical plane.
but then, most of the jedi moves are impossible.
so post a video when you've got it.

coleman are you talking different planes so that one is wall and one is front to back.
or different planes so one is front to back plane and one is horizontal
or off time so both in front to back plane but 90 degrees out of phase.

Either way, I double dare you back , I'm chasing some other fish at the moment.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
glass - what i meant was off time so both in front to back plane but 90 degrees out of phase.
i can't work out if the others are even possible!
if my visualisation is correct, the one i mean should look like you're winding a cross (or a four spoked wheel).
in fact it would probably look more like you are god, come to earth for the day, just to show off

double dare? i'll take the physical challenge!

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
well, if you can do the isolations like that, you could concievably do Snakes with poi (instead of clubs) Love to see it! Now THATS Jedi

Josh

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
well, I hate to have to be the one to tell you all this, but I can do that thing falloutboy mentioned. You know, the poi stays put while the hand circles around it, and (glass) I have always done it in the vertical plane, never even tried it in the horizontal plane. It does work, and yes, you have to be VERY VERY VERY fast and SMOOTH. but it does work. (definitly a jedi thing) however, I don't think I have ever gotten more than one circle in a row. Of course I don't think I tried to either.

try it from a reverse butterfly (with just one poi.) let it swing up and just as the poi reaches the point where it is traveling strait up, drop your hand and move it under the poi head in a circle, up and around the poi head. If you are fast and smooth enough it will work perfectly. and it does seem to defy gravity but it really doesn't, you are simply utilizing the laws of acceleration. the top of an arc has a brief moment when an object appears to hang there for a 1/4 second. to see what I mean through something in the air and watch it reach the top of the arc, it will be motionless for a moment. you can use that moment to move your hand around the poi head and then continue twirling normaly.

[ 30 October 2002, 07:34: Message edited by: santanatwo ]

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
Wow. I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy.
I would be a Jedi's steward.... can I get anyone anything while I'm up?

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
err santanatwo
just doing one is a great move, (we called it "taking the weight off", same family as isolations, but not isolations) but to do it continuously, which is what fallout boy was describing I still think is impossible ("simply by applying the laws of" motion )
so am looking forward to anyone showing me/video cos would be a nice surprise.

same way as when you do the horizontal spin fallout was describing, if the poi head is isolated, poi plane never goes flat it always stays as a cone.

I assumed that fallout boy was talking isolations as in continuous, I was.

Isolations worked again today

toneman

Glass

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
wait, before i embarass myself any further, what can you do glass???

continuous vertical isolations?

or continuous horizontal?

bah, i can tell whether or not youre mocking us unskilled padauins...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
*cough* *cough* padawans, Kyle--padawans *cough*

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
but then, of course, i have anti-gravity poi

- with "regular" poi, yes, you be right, in that you can only get continuous isolations centered about the middle of the string, not the poi head.

still though, who ever let a few lousy 'laws of motion' stop them? huh? are we going to sit back and abide by these oppresive rules??

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

Psychmember
14 posts

Posted:
Ok I finally understood what everyone is on about (shouts out to falloutboy)

Continuous horizontal? Don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. Hand above the poi just maybe maybe maybe. Hand below or same level as poi? Naaaaaaa mate - you're having a laugh!

But vertical is jedi as anakin. Can anyone do actually do that BTN out of phase thing where one hand follows the poi in the other hand? I'm more than impressed. I think my poi might be too long. You people doing this with fire? Madness.

Oh and what are snakes?

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
snakes are like kevlar rope with poi handles

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Page: