MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I nailed what I call a "low windmill." It's just like a windmill, but your hands are at your side. You can also do a "middle windmill" with your hands at your shoulders.

Anyone know if these moves are named?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
yup. bill and frank.

From the makers of soylent green.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Er... describe it more. Is it just an off beat change of direction? Does your hand go above your head at all? I think I know what you're talking about. Though usually I'm clueless.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I think it's this: the poi are going from the front to the back of the body on each beat, in the same direction and in split time, as per a normal windmill. except with this, your hands are not over your head but around the thigh area.

is that it Mike?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Like a split time, hip level, follow the sun? I think I do that.

[Kinda like a lime flavored crabcake but harder to dance to? Sort of like summer and discomfort in a flakey tortia crust? Or more like a 3D movie that gives away the ending at the beginning? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I do that.]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
LOL I'm gunna get in trouble for this. I reckon you probably stumbled across a two-beat fountain.

When I get time, probably on the w/e, I do a bit on 2, 3 and 5 beat-fountains in the club/torch thread in Other Toys. K.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i've been doing a kind of "low windmill" recently.

its done leaning forwards, spinning the poi in front of your knees - the poi spin outside your arms and then between your arms and your body in the 2 beat fashion of old. i haven't attempted this with fire as i am a chicken and scared of burning off my armpit hairs.

i like to call the move "this one". in fact, most of my moves are called that...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Paddy:
I think it's this: the poi are going from the front to the back of the body on each beat, in the same direction and in split time, as per a normal windmill. except with this, your hands are not over your head but around the thigh area.

is that it Mike?

Yup. Just like that.

-Mike

884 posts

Posted:
cool. I do it too...I liek to call it "this one" as well.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
In some circles, windmills are also known as follow-circles

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
hmmmmm... I either call moves by thier names or if I screw up and hit myself, it becomes my dubious specialty moved called, "ow, fuck"

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It honestly sounds like an off beat, low turn. Except you're doing it at 90 degrees rather than turning your body each time.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

884 posts

Posted:
your explanation makes sense too NYC...I think the two would be equivalent. there's always more than one way to describe a move.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Upon rereading my post it did sound like I was disagreeing. But I wasn't. I was just trying to confirm that I knew what I was talking about. I probably should have put a few question marks in there... My bad.

I don't think it is a two beat fountain though, as that would require turning and alternating forwards and backwards figure 8s.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Too true NYC. I should have said it seems like the start of a 2-beat fountain. Hips, shoulder, then overhead, down the other side and so on.

Anyhow Mike to answer your original question Anyone know if these moves are named?

The moves you describe appear to be 2-beat follow circles, which are club moves. They aren’t discussed much here because most of the poi moves start with the 3-beat weave. With clubs you start with the 2-beat moves and work up from there.

I’m loath to bring up the club names in the poi section because they confuse everyone and I’m not sure that I know them that well anyhows.

The one at the hips is probably called a hip grinder or hip coffee grinder. There are a sequence of these and you go btb and everything, building up into other combinations. The one at the shoulder could be a tangle, but I cant remember if it is a 2-beat move or not.

I like the 2-beat stuff, even though they are considered old fashioned. So, I suggest if you really want to learn more about these great building moves then you could look up one of the club swinging books, like the Jillings or Schatz book. Also keep an eye on the club thread.

coleman, try a search on the buzzsaw or burn the nose (btn).

Hope this helps

[ 11 October 2002, 10:36: Message edited by: Stone ]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, fine, if it's not named, I christen it the..

uh...

Gee, this is like coming across wet concrete...

um... a-HA!

The two-beat GRUBLEFLÜGGER!

-Mike

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
looks really cool, in my opinion, to bring it up and down. 1 beat top right 1 top left, 1 bottom right, one bottom left. or you can do it in reverse o fcourse. but for picture purposes, that is one of my favorites because you get like a four leaf clover effect around your body.

and with glowsticks it is a great one to do a color switch with really quick and really blow some minds. kudos...

anyone got a light?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I know that them, think I do em sometimes from top right to bottom left etc. But, four-leaf clover sounds good.

I know, I seem to have this thing with fountains

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
True Poz,

In New York we call the same motion in butterfly "The Jammy." It looks cool when done by hot chicks or muscley guys, sometimes I do it too.

Probably would look cool with a quick arm wrap to alternate between the two (Mikes "weave" version and Poz "butterfly" version)

With the butterfly variant, it's: Top left front, bottom left front, bottom right behind, top right behind (with the left poi) and "Right" everything with the Right poi.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Is it new??

Start wit swinging backward then throw out both poi, turn body 180° around then catch them , swing forward and continue.....?

POI THEO(R)IST