FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
yes, im aware theres probably a million posts on this already, but i've done a search and nothings answered my q, that i found anyways

In the vid, in poi lessons on HoP the neat guy doing the btb butterfly, seems to have one hand WAY above the other, is that just my imagination or what? am having real trouble getting btb moves, and butterfly is still no where near getting good...

So im wondering if the distance your hands are apart has anything to do with it? i tend to try get my hands really close together as with front butterfly, but this seems to just end in disaster...

any clues anyone?? xoxox

Currently on the right side up of the world.

(Sole)Sparkfixerupera of strangness maximus
147 posts

Posted:
well flynt normaly what i do (starting from an intime forward swing) bring my arms around to my back when the poi reach the bottom of the paths but my hand positions are basicaly the same as what a normal butterflys are. durning the up swing of the btb butterfly i kinda move my left arm up to my upper middle back, while my right arm stays above my arse. but i have seen afair few variations on it i guess its whatever you feel comfortable with

yay up to 5 beat weave only 4 more to get to 9 :P

(andrew)member
140 posts

Posted:
i really cant answer that question flynt, i cant see behind my back when i do butterfly

hee hee, ill show you when you come down for christmas, its less than three months now

what am i going to get you

on a completely unrelated matter-i cleaned out the shed, so i can practise my moves in their when it rains (which is alot) or when they look stupid (ei, learning anything)
okay, you better ring me tonight!!

your brother,

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all thebad girls live.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
My hands are almost touching each other, one above the other, just like in the front.

'Untidy' butterfly moves are easier when one hand is way above the other, however I normally only use this as a route to get people into the butterfly initially before they're confident with it.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Agree with Dom on having the hands close together.

This works for me, but we are all different. I'm most comfortable with my right hand a bit in front (on top), when hands are in-front, but my right hand is closer to my back (on bottom) when I go btb.

It took me ages to get a smooth transition from in-front to the btb butterfly, and I think a smooth transition is important to set up the btb butterfly.

As they come towards the top of the beat in-front, I kinda let the poi float a bit while I take my hand's btb and I push my hand out a tad (away from my back) to stop then from catching. I may drag then slightly, but I don't try and force them.

If none of that makes sense, then try floating them a bit as you go btb, and see what happens.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
lol..this is the one move that no matter how hard i try or how long i work at it i still screw it up 80% of the time...i hate this move so much for it too..but it is the opener to an insane combo i have worked out. lotsa luck on it

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Sparx you gimboid, get Mum to look at your hands while you do it....

Ummmm i am still trying to get this move....

Dom do you recommend learning an 'untidy' btb butterfly, and then try to tidy it up after i have the moves down pat???

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
i disagree with Sparx in that melbourne is "down" from tasmania.. lol
but then again, who says the northern hemisphere is the "top" huh?
maybe if i stand on my head for a while....

*tries to put feet on own head*

and thus concludes my oustandingly informative contribution to this thread.

[edit] oh man, i just realised he wrote "when you come down for christmas" not when I come down... - i'll get back into my box now..[/edit]

[ 02 October 2002, 14:37: Message edited by: falloutboy ]

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
thankyou for that display there falloutboy

are you coming to edinburgle gardens tonight? bender tells me its happening!

oh, and Sparx? for xmas? can u get me..... um..... er...... i dunno...
a microwave? *chuckle* kidding.

(andrew)member
140 posts

Posted:
firstly
Theblackunicorn---whats the insane combo???? i love butterfly combos. ecspecially the hard ones, ithey make it all the more worth it when you nail it.

secondly
smallboy, i know you edited your message, but i just wanted to laugh at you any way
there you go.

thirdly.
flynt
i dont really have anything to say to you, i just talked to you, i just like doing the number thing..

seriously, keep on practising, ill use a mirror or something and get back to you on the whole, were are the hands thing. and take it slowly
bye

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all thebad girls live.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Flynt, yes. Although 'down pat' is when you can do it very tidy with your eyes closed standing on one leg