• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 12
alterego
BRONZE Member since Jul 2001

alterego

Warm beer is infinitely colder than no beer

Total posts: 222
Posted:Any regular to the board can easily recognize the large amount of people claiming to the able to do amazing Poi feats mainly including the 5 beat btb weave that people who have been spinning for years still cant pull off. Unfortunately I cant accept the fact that it is a god given skill or that these people are so much more coordinated then me that it just comes naturally, so please, before you go braggin... Send in a video or bust!Love always,Spanky[This message has been edited by Spanky (edited 06 August 2001).]

Delete Topic

flash fire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:another cynic raises hand:::raises hand::hear here!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete

phunky

old hand

Total posts: 877
Posted:I've only been spinning since the middle of March 2001. I learned everymove on the moves list in a month and a half and have probably 20+ other moves that have yet to be listed (i'd post them but explaining them by typing is just not possible) that including btb 5-beats and now in progress of learning btb 7-beats. The thing is we (my friends and i) *practice* everyday. It isn't even really practice its more relaxing and a social if anything. Honestly, there hasn't been a day that i haven't picked up my set of pois and just spun.I don't see the point of sending in a video just to satisfy someone elses ego who think there can't be any better spinners than them. I've been following this messageboard ever since i started spinning but have only recently started posting. I can't believe the little world most of you live in here. Poi is not a tough concept, it's all common sense. If you sit down and think where the poi's should move and why they move like that, learning new things is that much easier. Just remember, everything you can do forwards and backwards infront of you, you can do behind you. Also, when spinning forward in a butterfly motion, when you move you're hand behind you it goes into reverse. When you move you're left hand to you're right side, it goes to reverse. That's how when you do a one-handed butterfly and when coming out you grab the chain farthest from the inside it should come out the opposite direction. Maybe that should open up some new moves for you. Happy spinning.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Delete

alterego

alterego

Posted:Let me explain something to you without granting chagrance to the personal vendetta I just developed for you. The moves listed on the site are thorough and conclusive. The only thing that determines the way you spin is your personal style. Of course you can variate the moves and transitions, but saying you have 20 moves not listed just shows how naive you are. Nextly, You cant do a 7 beat weave in front or behind you. Anyway, FlashFire has already talked to me about bait like you ^_^Love always,Spanky

Delete

Myst

addict

Total posts: 439
Posted:Hey Spanky, you're a jar head aren't you!?! Well I live in Oceanside and if I've said anything you don't believe I can do then come on over to the pier and spin with me and Pozee. Even if there isn't anything you think I can't do then come spin anyways and I'm sure we can all feed of eachothers energy. Pozee and I both spin glowsticks and fire so whichever you want to play with.

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Delete

Myst

addict

Posted:Ohhhhh... My names Eric, it's a plesure to meet you.

Delete

alterego

alterego

Posted:I'm a Sailor not a Marine
Non-Https Image Link
I am leaving for 6 months on Monday. I spin at a hippie bonfire every Sunday night at South Shores campground right behind seaworld. If you cant make it then I can meet up with you anytime this week excluding Friday cuz I have duty.Love always,SpankyE-mail me; Spanky@spl.at

Delete

Bassman

Total posts: 95
Posted:Spanky -- I guess you were referring to my post. I didn't mean to come across as bragging
Non-Https Image Link
I apologize because I don't like it when people brag about themselves. I just wanted to share my excitement with you guys. Also, looking back at my post, I may have made it sound like I have that move down rock solid. I don't. It's smooth as in not jerky and it makes sense, and it doesn't require much flexibility, but I still tend to bash myself in the shins after a couple of times (or less) through the pattern. I definitely have it down well enough to get it on video though. I'm supposed to meet with my friend John this weekend I think to do some videoing. So I will try to get a video of it at that time. If I don't get the video posted up here within a week or so, you can harass me via email: nathan@juggler.net.I've only been spinning since the beginning of June, but like phunky, I practice every day (at least 2hrs on weekdays and more on weekends). I have 11 years of juggling experience and I'm used to practicing all of the time. Plus I practice tricks, but I don't really practice putting tricks together, so I prolly wouldn't make a good performer at this point. That may change later.Phunky -- I'm interested in hearing about this 7 beat btb weave. Are you using some wrap or something?

Delete

NYC_not_PK

NYC_not_PK

One Tyred Guy

Total posts: 203
Posted:I believe the hype. Looking at the current pole, most of us only practice less than an hour. I think if I put my head down and put in 3-4 a day or 6-8 like some of you crackheads, I'd kick ass in a few months. I just don't have the obsessiveness (negative spin) or dedication (positive spin) to do such.I, personally, have resigned myself to a fact. I'll never be the best at any one thing. I've got far to many other interests!Besides... By not really trying that hard I've got an excuse to suck! I learned that one in High School!
Non-Https Image Link

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

Delete

Bassman

Posted:mrmo_nyc -- The problem is I think people practice even less than how you are interpreting the poll. The question just asks how long people spin during one session, which has nothing to do with how much people practice per day. Some people practice maybe 2-3 hours at a time, but only once a week or so, and I'm sure there are people out there who spin for 5 or 6 hours at a time but only do it once a year at burning man or something. I would be really interested in seeing the results of a poll on how much people practice per day. Do any of you guys actually practice 5-6 hours a day?Oh, and mrmo_nyc, I agree with you. Jack-of-all-trades is a great way to be
Non-Https Image Link
Right on!Keep on keepin' on.

Delete

flash fire

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Posted:http://www.homeofpoi.com/poll/previouspolls2.htmcheck
it out...

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Delete

phunky

old hand

Posted:Man this is funny. I'm not even the best spinner in my neighborhood lol. Alright Spanky, me and a friend of mine are going to make a video. My video will make you eat your words. My friends video will make you choke on your words and die lol. And about the 20+ moves thing, if you count the variations i do for a bunch of the so called established moves the count would be in the 40+. Theres a whole new world... actually i shouldn't say that because someone has probably done them before me, of moves inbetween your legs that you have probably not have thought of.Also, if my posts have offended anyone but Spanky and whoever is naive to think without a little practice anything is possible, well im sorry. But these post has angered me so much. I can't believe the people on this msgboard that are so blind to the fact that there are just people that push themselves to become good. My friend and I pushed each other, it was almost a competition. Some people will say thats not the "spirit" of poi, but you know what, being one of the best spinners in the city gives me great satisfaction in my abilities and has given me a lot of confidence, and gaining confidence and one's self is probably in the spirit of poi.And about that 7 beat. I can do it infront of me... not as pretty as i like it but its there, nothing a little practice can't fix. Turning it into a 9/11 beat isn't that hard either using the non-wrap method (http://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000254.html if you want to know what im talking about). Another thing, i said i was WORKING on the btb 7-beat. Probably get it by the end of the week.Lastly stuff that i just remembered, i was talking to Robert Micheal on irc the other day. If you don't know who he is, he was one of the better spinners in the circle of light video. He told me he did the video back in January and cringed every time he saw the video heh... and he wasn't even the best spinner in his group. Just goes to show not every spinner visits this msgboard... probably read the shit that goes on here and decided its not worth his time (like my friend). Almost at the same conclusion for me, but i have faith that once all the little barriers aren't there, eg. people like spanky, there will be a good exchange of information and will better me as a spinner and everyone else too. And even if i was lying about my "amazing poi feat" lol, i get teary eyed when i read that. The idea of the move is still there. And someone else can build off that. Well i've blabed enough. I'm excited about this video now.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Delete

Bassman

Posted:flash fire -- Thanks
Non-Https Image Link
phunky -- Oh yeah, the tangle method. That's practically a wrap. If you were doing a regular 7 beat weave btb I would be *really* impressed. But then again, what you are doing is pretty impressive anyway
Non-Https Image Link
I realized that it is possible to do a 7 beat weave without doing a wrap, tangle, or release. This move requires a lot of flexibility so doing attempting it is kind of painfull for me. It looks really f***ed up because your arms are really tangled. I can kind of do it, but I really suck at it. I do know people that can wrap their arms really far. I know this one kid that would theoretically have no problem at all doing a 7 beat weave. He can wrap his arms around eachother so far that it blows my mind. I wouldn't be too surprised if he was able to pull off a 9 beat weave like that, but he doesn't swing poi, so I guess I'll never know.There is a juggling pattern called "Eric's extention" which basically requires you to be able to wrap your right arm all the way around your left arm so that your right hand is to the right of your left hand and the other way too, and you have to be able to catch and throw in that possition. That's basically the same possition that you need to be able to be in in order to do the 7 beat weave, although the 7 beat weave is not quite as bad because you don't have to do any throwing or catching in that possition. I can't do eric's extention, because I'm not flexible enough, but I've seen people do it. It looks really messed up.

Delete

phunky

old hand

Posted:7-beat without wrapping... would have never thought it would be possible. Thx bassman i have something new to work on
Non-Https Image Link
------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Delete

Myst

addict

Posted:Here in san diego there's plenty of talent and I find myself one of the best as well. But that doesn't mean I've met everyone. There may be someone out there that'll woop my ass on strings, so I don't go around saying that I'm the best. But hey san diego is fairly big so I'm sure phunky lives in a small town with people who don't spin so he can say he is the best.(lack of compitition) I too started spinning in march 2001 and learned mad shit just like you, I took the time to get it consistant and progressed at an extream rate, now I'v taken a break from thinking about new moves and took the time to make it all flow, like painting a picture, eg. tri-weave to BTB tri-weave. The tri weave shows that you can do a move forward and reverse, and also gives a different perspective to a veiwer. I've also learned wraps behind me to show that I've practiced my ass off, butterfly double arm wrap to a reverse butterfly. It shows that you know where your poi are and that you know to a science how to manipulate them. as for your friend who doesn't have time for this site cause it's childs play to him, lol, he's the kind of person I like to break off. they're easy to fuck with, they prey on the people who suck. How to reel in an asshole.1) spin circles at your sides very spaztically and whack your shins a couple of times.2) attemp a butterfly and hit them together every couple of seconds.3) do your choice of wraps but do them very sloppily, this will surely bring him out of the wood work.4) now you got him, as he starts spinning to suck in all the attention, start spinning at his level for a bit.5) step it up and show him why he wont be jumping into any more circles trying to show people up.The assholes just keep lining up and they just keep getting nocked down. I wouldn't have said anything but, it seemed your friend was just too good for anyone on this board, seeing as I'm an anyone on this board, I took affence and acted acordingly. LOL, this may not of happened to him yet, but if he doesn't get his head out of his ass and stop thinking he's better then everyone, I promise you it will. EricIf anyone takes affence to my post I appologize, I get a little angry when I see cockieness hidden under bullshit enthusiasm.

Delete

phunky

old hand

Posted:Man, you must be blind or can't read, i never said i was the best. Neither did my friend. And the thing about him not posting on this site, its because of bullshit threads like this. Actually, what you just said has already happened. About 2 months ago when I thought i was the shit and my friend thought he was the shit we ran into a guy who just showed the fuck out of us. We later found out he was considered the best spinner in our so called small town LOL. But he has been spinning for about a year, us only two months. So it was basically back to the drawing board. Anyways, long story short, we've been showed up already and it's made us better spinners. You say you cant wait for us to get showed up. Ya know what, i want to be showed up, it makes you a better spinner. If i didn't get showed up that one day i woulda probably got stuck in the "all i wanna do is weave and windmill because it looks so good" syndrome that most people fall in to, and never learn any new stuff after that.It's funny how you said "lack of competition", i didn't know i was competing with anyone LOL. I spin for myself first and foremost. Honestly though, i do compete with my friend, i wanna be the next one to knock his ass back to earth lol. You say we prey on newbies... gawd thats farthest from the truth. The amount of people that we've taught and helped... gawd thats actually pretty offending that you would say that. You don't know me and my bud so don't start accusing shit like that. You assume too much. You say you don't like cockiness yet you come off as one of the cockiest people on this board Myst, its pretty funny actually. So you can go pretend to suck and show people up who think they're good. I'm going to go practice.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====[This message has been edited by phunky (edited 07 August 2001).]

Delete

Pele
BRONZE Member since Dec 2000

Pele

the henna lady

Total posts: 6193
Posted:Now let me ask, and this is not being snotty or anything, why? Do you not realise that being the best does not lie in technical wizardry but in the full and complete presentation, and to laymen the 3,5,7 or 50 beat weaves all look the same, like circles of light. My example for this is Cirque Du Soliel. They are, generally speaking, concidered the best at what they do. Do they truly do anything beyond the grasp of you or I? No. I mean, I will kowtow to their poi spinners,and actually to nearly all of their performers most assuredly but, they have a presentation and a style that far outweighs any specific tool technicality, which is actually harder to acheive than any technical move, see what I am saying?I also want to say this, that concepts of the best are merely opinion. While I found alot to be impressive on the video, I personally think Dangerboy was the best, but it is only my opinion. I have talked with him and he thinks otherwise. This also applies just as much to the tone with which you select toread the posts it. It may not be what the writer intended it as. You might read it as a persoanl attack, I read them as a valid request.I did not see your name phunky, nor your's Myst, in Spanky's post. Yet you, especially phunky, interpretted it as a personal attack. All I am saying is keep yourself open to that many of the posts on here are meant for all and are not specifically aimed at anyone, unless otherwise addressed.Thank you.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...http://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete

Myst

addict

Posted:I've never benn broken off because I don't go around battling people. When I first started, I'll admit, I wanted to, but I didn't cause it didn't seem right. Phunky, the way you were writing was exzactly how I used to write on this board, and now I know why people were dicks to me. This wasn't a bull shit thread until you took it as an insult. I personally didn't take it as an insult but wanted to spin with a new spinner so Spanky and I are in touch now and can learn new stuff from eachother. LOL, "you teach people", everyone on this board teaches people, it's part of the fun. I'd personally rather watch a spinner then battle a spinner, I only battle people who battle me. If I spin shitty to weed out the assholes I see no shame in that, and if no assholes come out, I think it's awesome cause that means all the spinners are cool and are in it for the right reasons, to further themselves, or another worthy reason. Only dickheads challenge a spinner that isn't trained. You were right though, I don't know you, and probably mistook everything you were saying, but hey, who cares, they're just words, and you can make me eat them but you can't make me like them.

Delete

Myst

addict

Posted:...And pele, you're not allowed to kiss me anymore. Eric

Delete

Pele

Pele

the henna lady

Posted:Okay Myst..you lost me there. Kiss you? Did I ever? I am seeing doubles due to a headache so maybe I am a bit slow but huh?
Non-Https Image Link
------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...http://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 08 August 2001).]

Pele

Delete

phunky

old hand

Posted:I don't even know how battling got into this thread. Pele is right though, how good someone is at Poi is all in personal opinion. Some people may like technicalness and some people might like artistic ability. I have a friend who does only like 4 moves, but for some reason the way he puts those moves together it still looks good. Anyways the bottom line of the thread because this is heading off topic. Spanky wants a video for any supposed new move that someone claims they can do. I guess anything outside the moves in the lessons section of this site is foreign to him. I found that offending. Maybe i shouldn't have. But whatever thats how i am.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====[This message has been edited by phunky (edited 08 August 2001).]

Delete

Myst

addict

Posted:pseudo innocense, gotta love it. True, it all comes down to a video, so might as well work on that. Now I'm out to practice as well.Pele, I have no dialog with you so I figured I'd joke with you, so there will be no more cuddling either. Eric

Delete

Pele

Pele

the henna lady

Posted:Damn Eric, you are taking all the romance out of my poi fantacies!
Non-Https Image Link
What am I supposed to do now.....ha! You didn't ban snogging...but Whipping Boy might have something to say about that!Yup, I know...I am off topic..so what!
Non-Https Image Link
>>maniacal laugh<< Abuse of moderator priveledge..ahahahahaha!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...http://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Delete

flash fire

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Posted:Pele - Myst is a tart. He told me that he liked me too. I think he's just trying to sleep his way to moderator status
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
(joking) (well, sort of
Non-Https Image Link
)

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Delete

alterego

alterego

Posted:Off topic, who cares
Non-Https Image Link
Flashfire...Today the Commodor of my Amphibious Assault Group (USS Peliliu, USS Comstock, USS Dubuque{me}) told us that upon entrance too our 6 month deployment we will go through Darwin, Australia, and 5 months later when we are leaving, we will spend time in Perth and Sydney. I just noticed that's where your from. Catch my drift?
Non-Https Image Link
E-mail me!Myst I am leavin Monday and wont be back for the aforementioned time frame. If you want to spin with me you better kick up the speed on the e-mail reply's ^_^Love always,Spanky[This message has been edited by Spanky (edited 08 August 2001).]

Delete

flash fire

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Posted:Spanky,naughty naughty being off-topic! I'll forgive you this time, but in future please direct all personal stuff via email. That's why our email addys are shown in our profiles.
Non-Https Image Link
It's all good though, but let's try to behave occasionally.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Delete

alterego

alterego

Posted:Fine, fine, fine. Check your e-mail then
Non-Https Image Link
Love always,Spanky

Delete

cherrykoke

Total posts: 2
Posted:I hope that nobody forgot, Spanky started this whole thing with 'before you go braggin, send in a video or bust!'Look back, it's still there.

Just look under the cap, 1 in 6 wins!

Delete

Myst

addict

Posted:First of all flash, I never said I loved you, you were just there and seducing me with your fire battons, whats a fella to do!?! Pele, your the only one for me babe, just you me and ok, maybe whipping boy, but no more, it's kinda full.EricP.S. I'll bring the hand cuffs this time

Delete

Boki

Total posts: 9
Posted:this phunky chap sounds like quite a badassi reckon he could do all those things whilst holding the camcorder in his invisable third hand

Delete

Finn

Total posts: 341
Posted:Someone should start a thread about the cultural differences in twirling. Hmmmmm........ I think I will.
Non-Https Image Link

Delete

Page: 12