Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Overhead Weave = Windmill??

Login/Join to Participate

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I'm currently in a state of confusion. A few weeks ago I taught myself the corkscrew, from which a few days later the windmill, simply by moving up into standing position.

Before that I'd learn forwards and backwards weave from the art of poi dvd, but couldn't do overhead weave, so left it.

Recently whilst moving between backwards and forwards weave I've been doing a bit of windmill. Watching the video again tonight for the first time in a while I can't actually tell the difference between what was described to me as windmill and overhead weave.

Are they infact the same move? If not, what is the difference? I always assumed that like the forwards/backwards weave that there would be more than one beat on each side in overhead windmill, but according to the video not.

Any clarification would be appreciated

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've never heard the term "overhead weave." It sounds like a windmill/corkscrew to me. 2/3/4 beat corkscrews/windmills are certainly related to weaves as the poi are doing the same thing...

But I am rarely right.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I haven't seen said video, but I do an over the head weave that is basically just that - a weave placed high enough for my arms to be directly over my head. The main difference between that and a windmill besides the number of beats in each side for each hand, and that the planes of the poi are more or less vertical and strait out front and back from my body, as opposed to vertical and left and right from my body with a windmill.

I throw in windmills into the overhead weave pattern in both directions for varition, which looks a lot more complicated than it is. Because the weave is placed to high, it is simple to drop in a partial windmill, but even experienced poi artist ask me what the hell I am doing.

[ 20 September 2002, 06:20: Message edited by: vanize ]

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
the most raw discription of it is...
there is only one move. that cross over your body move, like jumping rope. after that, the only difference in ANYMOVE (other than wraps) is direction of the poi(s) and the posisition of the point to your body and the timing of the poi.

a weave = windmill = corkscrew
and the butterfly is the same as those, only one poi is going the other direction...

confuse ya yet?

I smell something burning.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I think The windmill, as taught on this site, is not a proper 3-beat weave. It can be seen as a 2 beat weave, or simple cross over, but in a different plane and position. A 3 beat weave in the same plane is halfway to 4 beat windmill.

Did that make sense?

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
if chewbakka lives on endor you must aquit

I smell something burning.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
it makes absolute sense