Forums > Social Chat > Music to spin to, Tell us your favourite music to dance to

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
Music to spin to, Tell us your favourite music to dance to

Has anyone ever thought of making a "poiers" music album? A collection of music that's GREAT to poi to? What music would you put on it?

My favourite music..

I'll start it off with 'Bony Incus (the man with no name mix)', by Eat Static. What music would other people put on it?

Happy (rythmical) Swinging,

Tim

Music Music Music

Music to spin to, Tell us your favourite music to dance to

jessejamesmember
22 posts

Posted:
although i love spinning to "dance music" as funny as it sounds i find bluegrass best for me to spin to so how bout pig in a penor fogging mountian breakdownjust wondering if im the only hick burner ou thereif so yall should try it out some timejessejames

burnin down the house

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Techno!Lab4 preferably.With music this fast you can proper have it if you've got lots of energy/drugs or if your tired you can move to every second beat coz it's so fast. Hard drum and bass is also good but you can't really poi in d&b clubs because everyone thows themselves all over the place on the dance floor.Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
I was listening to the Crystal Method just today. I like fairly aggressive mixes like that. "Trip Like I Do", wigs out in a couple of spots, and would be great if you could sustain a routine through the whole length of the song."Firestarter" by Prodigy is a slightly cheezy but obvious choice. There is at least one good remix of this song out there.I'd also add something by Loreena McKennitt or someone like that. I've got Celtic blood, and I really think the hypnotic, slower side of spinning can be beautiful if explored. This music helps it become a graceful dance.

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Funny you should mention this, I am putting one together now or I should say, I am beginning to start the process of. I didn't want to say anthing, until, I got it finished, and artist's permission. Alot of is going to be original compositions, with some remixes (done by me wink ) , and some old favorites. Any contributions would be great. Just e-mail me at ryanee@hotmail.com. It will be a few months yet, but I think it will come together. This was going to be a little project, for a few people on here, but if there's enough interest, I'll hurry up and do it! As a side note, I'm working on the cheesiest. A remix/remake of "Ring of Fire" by the man in black himself.-PSM[This message has been edited by psychomonkey (edited 15 January 2001).]

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

Bmember

Posted:
live drummingit kicks much ass.

Bren

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have about 4 cd's...all for different moods. MP3 Sites and a cd burner are really a performers best friend!!!!! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
I heard that! winkmusic to spin to: run lola run soundtrack, track 7. great beats, follow the heart. otherwise there are bands like covenant, leather strip, klute, ministry etc.did some-one say Crystal Meth-OD?yeeehaa!oh yah jah-mon, and we lucky enough to live wid a rasta. 'e know da beat mon. busking with them is cool.o-o

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
i'd have to be trance music for me i am afraid grin - although some Enigma songs are good to swing to too, they are good for 'free-style' swinging, not going with the rhythm but playing round it - i am really into music and find it really interesting to play with the rhythm, although i must admit that trance music really makes me wanna spin!happy swinging,Simos

ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
Mmm, live drums and lots of them. My Dad had got a wicked Djembe and my mate Mark can play the drums.. he is bloody great, so we often borrow the Djembe and go for some poi sessions on the beach. We were becomming quite a pair over the summer, instead of me trying to follow his beat, he would try to drum to the beat i had, and then there would be these amazing few minutes where we linked and nothing else mattered. The stone circle at Glasto is great for drummers, hundreds of them, really huge ones (drums that is), pounding a beat into the night. (but its been cancelled this yr! frown)Other music that i love to poi to would have to be Astral Projection (goa trance) (esp, searching for ufo's and flying into a star), however, i can poi to loads of different music, it just depends where my mood takes me. grinhave fun and burn bright.Chloe

Chloe.
-I'm dancing through the fire just to catch a flame-
Paul Weller

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
Astral Projection are cool. So are Astralasia. And Banco de Gaia. Also, so are the Afro celt sound system....check 'em out. smile(But only if you want to!)Happy swinging, Tim /|\

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Talvin Singh--just about anything (also, the compilation album Anokha with his name on it, especially Flight IC 408, by State of Bengal). Good tempo changes and a suitably exotic sound.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Keithmember
7 posts

Posted:
I just spun in Baltimore, MD's New Year's Eve celebration, and the two tracks I used were Moby's "Machete" and White Zombie's "Blood Milk and Sky" Worked for me.Keith[This message has been edited by Keith (edited 16 January 2001).]

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Timmy, Astralasia's a wicked choice, man! Do you know where I can get 'White Bird'? The cd web sites don't seem to have it.Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Drumming is wicked, very spiritual,blood milk and sky by white zombie is a good idea, I have never tried it before.another good song is Voodoo people by the Prodigy. If anyone has it then try spinning to it. its great.peace out garbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
FOr single songs I like Voodoo By Godsmack, Fuel by Metallica, Dragula by Rob Zombie, Break Stuff and Roolin by Limp Bizkit.I like it hard!!!!! winkActually though it depends on my mood, sometimes I like that teenie bop Britnie Spears stuff to spin to, sometimes I like country rock and Enya, Enigma, Clannad........ Depends on how I feel.For those who like drums Mickie Hart's Planet Drum cd/tape is amazing!!!!!!! He gathered some of the most reknowned drummers from around the world and went nuts! You'll love it! coolSo that's my less than two cents since I can never make up my mind!!!! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Forgot to say Crazy Town does a song called Butterfly...I do a routine with nothing but butterfly moves to this and EMF's Unbelievable is nice. grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts

Posted:
I forgot, Hell is round the corner by tricky and davidian by machine head is good for fire. feed the monket by infectious grooves is also good in general.peace outgarbo tongue

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
Jo, There's a shop in Cambridge called "Nomads", and they sell (among other things) a huge range of wierd and wonderful trancy-type music. I know that they've got 'Seven Pointed Star' by Astralasia, and I'm pretty sure they have 'White Bird' too! smileNext time I'm down that way, I'll get their number or something for youHappy swinging,Tim /|\

sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
jeze.....haven't heard anyone mention astralasia in a while now smile they do some pretty cool stuff...........some of massive attacks stuff is great - unfinished sympathy...............and the band Why? (if you can keep up!) smile

Doniamember

Posted:
Cantara by Dead Can Dance, Love swining to Dead Can Dance. We use traditional Japanese music for Fire Fans. Have used TOOL, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, some middle eastern and Live Drums. Pretty divers musical taste. I just recently chorographed a flaming costume piece to Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy.Donia )0("Where there is sorrow, I seek the flame."Rumi

Donia Love
Ignis Devoco Industrial Fire Circus

Where there is sorrow, I seek the flame.
Rumi

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
Goo' call on the Tool and TKK! My tastes run towards trance (the Slinky complilations are goo', as is DJ Moda-Acid Factor) and techno and funky house (Cassius is nice). Check out Peace Orchestra for some really nice chill stuff (by Peter Kruder of Kruder Dorfmeister). My fave Prodigy songs to spin to are Smack my Bitch Up and Deisel Power (!). Basically anything with a good beat and interesting melodics.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts

Posted:
The best tool song is stinkfist on Aenema. great to spin topeace out garbo tongue

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
goa trance/nu-nrgare my fav styles of musik

Robbiemember
11 posts

Posted:
Well, I havn't been swinging for long, but as I LOVE rap, Ice-T is cool cool to do it to. Busta Rymes,"This means war"fet.Ozzy Ozboarn is a good shot. But the best hast to be, Rob.D with Clubbed To Death!! Rob

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The Cult....Fire Woman

Pele

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I'm with Jeff on the Goa trance. Also a lot of world music such as indian beats (trilok gurtu etc) are great and New Age celtic music such as the brill band 'Kila' are fantastic for spinning to. ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I agree with Adam Rice above, "Talvin Singh" would be great and also from "Pressure Drop - Back 2 Back" is essential, and "Red Snapper" too smile

Bish_the_Dingmember
52 posts

Posted:
My contribution to the compilation would have to be Heatseekers' Xplicit(Club Mix) it's a mix of the openining rave tune from the movie BLADE. It's on Napster fer sure and it kicks arse !I agree it's a mood thing - I can swing to anything with a beat. OK there are some things I WON"T swing to ...Anyone swing to R & B (Yeccch!)?

Hasst du etwas zeit fuer mich?... Dan singe ich ein lied fuer dich ... -Bjork/Nena

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well smilefirst off, sometimes nothing but the sound of the wind in the trees and my spinning flames is nice...also my friend is a wicked flute player...add a simple tribal drum beat, and you have wicked atmosphere for inventive swirly twirling smile However, I have to say, that I like twirling to the slower funkier side of psychedelic electronica the most. Stuff like Shpongle, Spaceships of the imagination and the like. I guess I'm lucky, I have lots of friends who are DJ's who play the music which I like. In this style there is lots of lines you can take in the music, rather than having to bow to the relentless pounding of the Trance Doof (I save that for boogying). When the BPM is down it makes it easier to 'dance' rather than 'bounce'...I can counterpoint the tracks detail..hard to do that with a 4/4 Kick going at 150 BPM smileAnyhow - One thing I CANT Poi to, is brainless music. Most Drum and Bass, and Nu-NRG would definitely fall into this category for me. And if you come near me with your top 40 CD's be prepared to watch a CD player get destroyed by a machinegun like barrage of fire poi smilePpl! there are better ways to kill your brain cells than listening to Britney Spears! *jk*np: Pleidians

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I love to rope to John Digweed, Heaven Sentits a jamin tunePeace

Page: ...