dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
I've heard this move mentioned a few times here and after trying a couple of searches, do not know what you all are talking about. It's possible I know of it as somehting else and possible I just never knew it existed.... Can anyone enlighten me? thanks!

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
right a butterfly weave is just that , well almost,
You use the same arm movements as a normal weave but the poi are goin in oposite directions,
You can start it from a forward or bkws bf just turn your body 90deg so the butterfly is by your side,

You will have to learn thread the nedle, to get the hand movements right,

Hope that helps

Brashie

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually, it's a bit of a misnomer. It feels like a weave ONLY when you've got it smoothly, not when you're learing it.

It is simply going from forwards to reverse butterfly but rather than doing it infront to behind you, you do one on your side then the other on your other side...

In other words, do a butterfly directly in front of you. Now, don't change the poi but turn your body 90 degrees to your right. The poi are now butterflying on your left side, no? Now, in one swing, switch them over to your right side. You are now doing a reverse butterfly. If you go back and forth it feels a bit like a "weave" but isn't. You can then go into stuff that feels a whole lot like a large fountain and perhaps your elbows and arms will feel like they are weaving while your wrists are actually butterflying.

Strange but true...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
just posting here to prove NYC wrong ... I do visit technical ... I just DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING

sorry my friends ... don't pay attention..

::off to take aspirin to recover from the headache of reading about a move and desperately trying to understand what actually looks like::

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
how many beats are you supposed to do on each side? four feels most comfortable for myself...but I was wondering if it's supposed to be three like the standard weave?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
nyc, i think you are misinterpreting the BF weave. the arm movements are EXACTLY the same as a weave. right hand does 2 circles on the left side and 1 circle on the right side. left had does 2 circles on the right side and one on the left. just like a regular weave. i hope that did not come acroos too harsh, i wasnt try9ing to be

hey dulce i can show you what it is...

anyone got a light?

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
glass
pulls out his encylopeadia of poi
By symmetries:
There are 4 families of moves here:

follow time weaves (ie regular fwds and reverse weaves) 2-7 beat etc etc

Butterfly weaves, as discussed, which are the poi going in opposite direction version of...

Parallel weaves, the much rarely seen technical glass nerd move, Weaves with the poi parallel. very interesting if your a poi nerd only. but remember that there are 4 parallel forwards 3 beat weaves because its assumetric you can can distort the regular weave to parallel either by bringing a poi forwards 1/2 turn or by taking it back 1/2 turn. the 4 parallel forwards 4 beat parallel makes much more fundamental move.

Finally there are the split time weaves which are the rare, but much smoother than buterfly opposite to regular (follow time) weaves. Poi going in opposite directions crossing left and right rather than top and bottom. This is much smoother than butterfly weaves and really feels very simmilar to weaves.

there, you go, you asked for butterfly weaves,
your reply is theres well over 50 moves here.
Its one of the main families of poi.
Simmilar families with reels and waite wraps.

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
i gotta put my two cents in as well. nyc you do seem a bit confused as to the actual movements of the afforementioned move. the basic jist of the move is that while doing the butterfly you can start by turning like you said go from side to side, but you don't do it as a single move. you actually do use the three ar more beat like the true weave. also when dong the butterfly weave you don't end up doing forward on one side backwards on the other. it's just like the regular weave in that aspect. now it looks way cooler in split time, but i can't do split time properly yet.

"our love withers here and dies
the story had to end in blood"

"You will not feel pain near the end, my dear
Your memory shall remain with me
As I weep upon your grave
My love...

My love..."

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys - Pozee - you know I'll take you up on that. I knew I could ask you but I thought I'd post it here too... I'll play around with some of the stuff you all posted here too and see if I can be a literal learner!!

tureKmember
11 posts

Posted:
wow! i haven't thought that this move can be done. but now i know after reading this topic on friday i went home and started practising it. it just feels great!
but glass! could you describe the parallel weaves with more details? beacuse i just can't imagine this and the split time weaves are the same as the butterfly weaves only with the difference of where the poi are meeting? please be patient

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i have to say, sadly, that i got mebbe two words out of glasses whole description *eek*

my understadning of this move is that it can be done same/split time (i can only do it split time to any halfway decent degree) and there is a 2/4 whatever beat version (i call it the "bouncing buterfly") but when you say butterfly weave ur talking about the three beat version? (which i suck at.)
????

do i know what's going on yet?

ok, i got everything glass was saying (and tehfact taht i don't have a true butterfly weave) except the parralell weave part.... can you try to run that by me again glass?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Parallel weaves.
Product of a twisted mind
I haven't got the nrg to explain today.
PK has a video from yesterday, I will try to get and post.

look at 2 beat weave. do it parallel.

There are 3 (yes three !!! odd number in poi, weird huh) forwards 2 beat weaves.
depending on hand on top and weather you advance 1 poi half a trun or retard it to bring to poi parallel.
basically 2 are arms opposite and one is hands together.
right really basic, yea, but you prolly never thought of them as weaves before. but they are.
Use the same logic to work out 3 beat.
remember poi parallel and 2 cirles on opp side one on own with each hand.
there are 4 forwards 3 beat weaves.
good luck
nerd mission
easy peasy to swing, but its the concept thats groovy.

Glass

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
nerd

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
LOL

Glass

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i think i got it
is it split time or same time?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I retract all comments. Past and future.

If I did what I described but thread the needle in split time I'd almost be doing what Poz said. Except if he's actually doing three beats on one side then he's coming across his body with his arms crossed.

I don't feel comfortable calling anything where the poi are going in opposite directions a "weave"...

Those much wiser than I have spoken and I defer to their expertise.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
LOL at NYC retracting things he hasn't said yet.
eh.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
glass..... is a parralele weave in same or split time? or both?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Parallel - as in same time both at top of swing at the same time. It's a little odd and hard for me to explain. Spin the poi same time and do a weave hand movement. Feels a bit odd, doesn't look espically amazing, but interesting. Last night I believe I got the 8 beat parallel weave going.

Glass thinks about things and gets very technical and nerdy. He's got a list of moves so long it's silly but can be interesting, if you're in the mood. Very good person to have around!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
sounds it. i'll work on this one when i feel like torturing myself. i'm just pround of myself for figuring out how to properly reverse this damn stall turn thing last night.....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

petertillingnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
OK, first hello - used to use this site allot when I was in NZ to keep up to date with the Viccy Park meet (good bunch if your ever in Auckland) - haven't been on here in ages though.

I was playing with this move yesterday and from what I can figure out its going from forward TTN to reverse TTN and then back again, Am I on the right tracks????????

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
yes, asuming that you are going from forward TTN to reverse by turning your body through 180 degrees. (Eventually you make the turning less obvious so it looks like its just the poi moving from one side to your body to the other).

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson