Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > A move I made up while performing(did i really invent it?)

Login/Join to Participate

Kelmember
4 posts

Posted:
A few months ago, some friends approached me and asked me to do Poi for my High School's Senior Show before Graduation. I hadn't practiced for months before that, and I have a pair of messed up shoulders (something with the rotator cuff...can't twirl for more than about 10 minutes at a time) but we did the show anyway. So about 5 minutes into the performance, I start getting bored at repeating the same novice moves that look decent. I stop the move I'm doing (a basic weave or butterfly, not important) and begin to do the cute little Skipping Rope motion, swinging the poi on either side, forwards, and hop about three times. As I landed the third hop I let my legs go all the way down, coiling up, and instead of taking a 4th little hop I jumped as high as I could and did a mid-air split. With my legs at about a 60 degree angle to the ground (i can't do a full 90 degree split in mid air), I swung the poi inwards and did a double wrap aroung my inner thighs about halfway up from the knee. As I landed, I pulled the strings up and out and undid the wrap, coiled and jumped again, and did the wrap in reverse. The crowd lost their mind over this trick, and i threw it in a few more times to keep them going
Has anyone ever seen/done this before? It looks dynamite and impresses even experienced stringers. I showed it to one of the best stringers in New York, and he thought it was pretty amazing.
So did i invent something, or am I just discovering a move that someone else made up?
-kel

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Sounds like you invented it man. Maybe you could call it the hoppity wrap

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Even if someone else has already thought of it, you still invented it on your own without seeing someone else do it.

Forget whether it is new or not, it sounds like something you are truly proud of, so enjoy the moment.

Parallel evolution is a common thing in arts like this, but it doesn't make the creative act any less impressive.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Mr.Blondemember
4 posts

Posted:
Never seen that one done before Kel... Which High School did you spin at? I went to LR (Loch Raven) now I go to school in PA. What part of B-More are you from? Maybe if you're ever down at Buzz or Fusion we could meet up for some spinning...
Catch ya later,
Ryan

Torture you? Thats a good idea, I like that.Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you going to bite?

DJ-5Lmember
24 posts

Posted:
Sorry body but there are other people doing that move... I Started doing that move about 2 years ago when I lived in California... Except, there are two ways to do it. You can do both wraps at once (during a one jump cycle) or the way you explained (a two jump cycle).

What is your Theme song?

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
While we're on the subject of moves that you came up with yourself though loads of others probably do it, this is one of my favorites...

Simply do an over head butterfly, then jump and tuck, and bring the poi below your airborne body for a beat, and then land in the overhead butterfly again. Looks fantabulouso.

Haven't seen this one mentioned, but then I haven't done a search and I'm certain it's already been done anyway.

Kelmember
4 posts

Posted:
Paddy sounds like a cool move, can't quite picture it though
I'm actually not in Baltimore now, moving there on Sunday to go to school (Goucher College)
I went to High School in New York.
UGH! I'm having a hard time doing a figure-8 with strings. I've seen friends do figure-8s where the poi are spinning parallel to the ground in a tight form with real short strings in front of the body, but I can't seem to get the spin to go...i can do a normal fig. 8...anyone help on this?
-kel

DJ-5Lmember
24 posts

Posted:
That move has also been done...Though truly difficult. It is very difficult to make that move look good...But it can and has been done.

What is your Theme song?

Kelmember
4 posts

Posted:
lol that move is my pride. i'm real flexible so i like to take advantage of it with stuff like that. I'm also thinking of trying someting that I'd call The Statue. Start with a normal butterfly in front, and lean forward with one leg sticking out in back of you parallel to the ground. Switch into a 1 hand butterfly, take the butterfly over your head and behind your back and do a no-look double wrap around the leg. Stick the free hand out in front like a statue (and for balance!). then if you're feeling real adventurous, as you come out of the wrap, repeat it on the same leg in front. If you're built like a coiled spring, you can even jump and do the double thigh wrap after you come out of the behind the back wrap. I certainly cant do that but I'm sure there are those that can!
-kel