• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 7 Beat Weave, 6 Beat Windmill, and Triple Gainer Cartwheel Under The Leg

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 123
alterego
BRONZE Member since Jul 2001

alterego

Warm beer is infinitely colder than no beer

Total posts: 222
Posted:I want to put out to all the people on the board that are new and learning that these are not moves. When I was still learning all the moves I used to get frustrated by the people who like to come on and brag about these amazing things they were doing with their poi and I could not pull it off.

This is where people mistake the wrap they do after a five beat weave, or twisting there strings around eachother, or even just planting your feet and turning extremely far in a circle to squeeze in that last turn.

These are not moves. These are wraps, transitions, and tricks that people are learning and adding to the moves. If you want a complete listing of each new MOVE go to the Poi Lessons section of the site.

I will gladly meet up with anyone in my area or anyone that wants to arrange a get together and show you step by step each actual move, including btb moves. Don't get caught up confusing and frustrating yourselves. It is my advice instead to work on your transitions so that your moves become less obvious and it looks like you are out there just spinning.

I challenge anyone who would like to challenge this to first post a video of them doing the move. Otherwise, I will remain to the fact that Malcom has chosen to leave up the listing in the Poi Lessons section because it is comprehensive.

Delete Topic

master sodium

Total posts: 536
Posted:yeah, I've been getting pretty angry at people calling it a 7-beat weave, cause it is a 5 beat with a wrap. I also have a friend who tells me you can do a three beat corkscrew with both poi in one hand, but its still a wrap. glad you brought this up.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Delete

bender
GOLD Member since Nov 2001

still can't believe it's not butter

Total posts: 6979
Posted:am i'm pretty pised about tofu.
i mean, where's the flavour?!?!?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Delete

phunky

old hand

Total posts: 877
Posted:Well let's not forget you don't have to wrap anything to do a 7 beat weave or 6 beat windmill/corkscrew. You can bend your arms enough that you can twist them for one more rotation without the poi ever touching each other. A year ago, bassman posted a clip of himself doing a 7-beat weave. It was messy but as you could see the poi never touch each other and it was just the twisting/rotation of the arm. I'm sure he has it down pat now if he's still spinning.

Delete

Dom
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3009
Posted:Can you list the Offical International List of Moves for me please? I was under the impression that spinning was not limited by 'moves' and that any movement of poi was 'allowed', therefore providing almost unlimited potential for different styles and patterns of pretty lights

Everyone likes to progress, and feel they can do more than their mates, and once they've got the very small number of moves in the moves list they get stuck in a rut and just try to start adding more beats to existing moves. Personally I don't see the point much and leave them to it.

Delete

Nic

Total posts: 18
Posted:In reply to phunky: That move you were talking about the other guy doing, the 7 beat without wrapping, its still a wrap!! He's just wrapping his arms instead of the poi. So the messy part in wraps is just transferred up his arm so he just ends up looking like a monkey with an itch. And i completely agree with Dom, the only reason people do these wraps is because they aren't inventive enough to come up with any nice trancitions and variations on moves.

If you guys want my honest opinion, most people into fire spinning have become very arrogant and pretentious. I dont ever visit this site because everyone here is always on about the newest thing they've come up with, and most of the time its just made up, or downright impossible, or its just a stupid gimmick that doesn't involve any skill but just makes the people watching think you're good, thats not what its supposed to be about. to me poi isn't about anything other than fun and a way to test my abilities, its not something to rub in other poeple's faces. I've been spinning poi for over two years and the best part of it so far was the first 2 months, so i envy the people who are just starting out, i dont look down on them. And i really hope all of you have a life outside of this discussion group and dont ONLY think and talk about poi, thats just not healthy.

------------------
Be Happy

Gooi nat, or don't gooi at all.*Nic*

Delete

alterego

alterego

Posted:quote:Can you list the Offical International List of Moves for me please? I would be happy to direct you to this information.

Please click here.

Delete

Glåss
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

Glåss

The Ministry of Manipulation

Total posts: 2523
Posted:ping
spanky
I think that you mistook,
Theres well over 300 poi moves, at last count
excluding transitions, wraps and combos
Dom was looking for a list of these

your direction was 270 moves short

Delete

alterego

alterego

Posted:quote:I challenge anyone who would like to challenge this to first post a video of them doing the move.

Delete

Durbs
BRONZE Member since Sep 2001

Durbs

Classically British

Total posts: 5688
Posted:There was a video of Bassman doing a "non-wrap" 7-beat weave on this site I think... I've got one on my PC but I'm not sure where it came from...

Personally I think saying the 7 beat is a wrap but you wrap your arms not the poi is a weak arguement as you twist your arms in a 5 beat and cross them in a 3 beat - where to draw the line?

There are no rules to poi and if it's just a matter of naming moves, a "7-bt weave" is nicer than saying a "5-bt weave with a wrap at the end".

Finally (Not meaning to pick on Nic in particular but feel I need to respond) saying:
"And i completely agree with Dom, the only reason people do these wraps is because they aren't inventive enough to come up with any nice trancitions and variations on moves."
is a) rude and b) false. Surely it's being inventive in itself? You can't say wraps aren't a proper move or infact transition - I use them as do many as a way of switching into new moves. Visually as well, when performing fire the emphasis can (should?) be on the circles and patterns of fire we're creating. If the person looks like "a monkey with an itch" it wouldn't ruin the impact of a performance if it created and unique pattern of light.

And this:
"If you guys want my honest opinion, most people into fire spinning have become very arrogant and pretentious. I dont ever visit this site because everyone here is always on about the newest thing they've come up with, and most of the time its just made up, or downright impossible, or its just a stupid gimmick that doesn't involve any skill but just makes the people watching think you're good"
Is just bull! Pretentious? Arrogant? And yet you're stating that they're doing Poi wrong and imply (although granted don't say) that you do it right...

Eeek, didn't mean to be aggerssive, free speach and all.
Have a smiley to aliviate any offence, none was intended.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

phunky

old hand

Posted:Seriously, that's enough. No one has to prove anything here. Who cares if someone says they can do this. Even if they can't, it's the idea that counts. Talking about the newest moves and variations on this forum is for progress. The more "useless" moves you can do the bigger understanding you have for how poi move, regardless if you use them or not. All i see on this thread are people hating on other people because they like to look at the technical aspect of spinning. There's nothing wrong with dancing around and just doing windmills and weaves. BUT, do not put down someone else because they want to do something more difficult. Let's face it, the people who come up with new moves and variations are the cocky arrogant who need to one up the next person. People spin for different reasons, who is anyone to say what is wrong or right as long as that person is spreading the artform?

Delete

alterego

alterego

Posted:...Videos...

Delete

Glåss

Glåss

Posted:...please.

Last week at EJC 2002 was spent with a lot of very talented peps.
Including Mia who could do 7 beat weave and 6 beat windmill without wrapping because of her amazing monkey arms.

She also rocked with 4 poi, first time I've seen it so I liked it.

But these were not the hardest or the most technical or the most beautiful moves to be seen there.

I have no need to challenge your post, I have little interest in doing these moves, I don't see them as beautiful. so no vids from here, you know exactly what they would look like, so imagine the video. but I would say that the lessons are a very good start, but it would be daft to claim that they're comprehensive.

Happy swinging
Glass

Delete

phunky

old hand

Posted:quote:Originally posted by Spanky:
...Videos...envy
n. pl. envies

1)A feeling of discontent and resentment aroused by and in conjunction with desire for the possessions or qualities of another.

Delete

phunky

old hand

Posted:I thought this thread reminded me of something lol.

http://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001134
br>
One year later and you still don't get it. This messageboard represents only a small percentage of spinners in this world. Not to mention how many people have the means to film themselves, which is very litte. No one here is going to prove anything just to satisfy your ego.

The movelist on this site are not through and conclusive. They show most of the base moves and give you a general idea of what can be done. That is all. Basically if this is a through and conclusive movelist, why do people keep on spinning? Why do they try to learn more? Because other things can be done. So therefore this is a not a complete move list.

[ 19 August 2002, 09:03: Message edited by: phunky ]

Delete

alterego

alterego

Posted:Why did you have to go there?

Now are you going to brag to me how you can do a seven beat weave when your friends can only do five and you are l33t and want to battle and your fire is hotter than my fire?

I got my point across.

Delete

phunky

old hand

Posted:No you didn't get your point across because it just looks like your jealous and spouting off the same stuff you were last year. Because if you were around this past year you would see how i could care less about this. Things have changed, but obviously you haven't.

Delete

alterego

alterego

Posted:If you could care less, you care.

I'll give it to you like this. I'm arguing math and you are arguing art. I am saying that you cannot do a seven beat weave because it is not an individual move. You are saying "i can express myself however I wan't".

That's fine, express yourself.

And even last year when I posted that I could do a five beat btb. I was waiting for videos.

Which you still cannot provide. - btw I would love to see that 7 beat btb you mentioned in your post last year. With the last 365 days of never not touching your Poi you must be pretty adept at it eh?

I really should not have let you drag this so far off topic. This post was to help newbies. I had three e-mail me and have setup two SD visits.

Phunky if you would like to get together sometime and spin I would be obliged.

Delete

phunky

old hand

Posted:If you read a bit closer the btb 7-beat i was talking about is the tangle method. Which i can do and which isn't very hard. And if you want to talk about "new individual moves" well you know what there are none past forward spinning and reverse spinning. And everything else is a combination of those two in whatever hand. Your thinking is flawed on this matter because everything can be broken down to something smaller.

How's this for a deal. YOU get a video up, which shows me im not wasting my time and i'll get a video up.

Delete

jonathan

enthusiast

Total posts: 210
Posted:too right phunky, by my reckoning (excluding wraps) most of the one poi in one hand moves are based on about 4 patterns of movement. its like saying that a side kick with your foot held like this is the same as with your foot held like that.

as you realise, its not, poi are a subtle thing, and like most weapons there are nuances that only experience can teach you to appreciate.

i just think that we should be fully stoked when someone comes up with a new move, it just adds to what we already know. it sounds to me like there a few feathers being ruffled by some of the things your getting at phunky, but dont worry, i know your right (we used to do that stuff about 4 years ago).

anyway, two one handed butterflies separates the herd for sure, i was gonna send in some video for COL3 but first my poi got nicked, them when i had built some cheap and nasty replacements the person videoing me dropped the handy cam and broke it.......gutted :-)

but thats by the by, i think when people start getting into one handed butterflies a bit more then more moves will be developed

so long as everyone having a good time its all good

(phunky your cheek always cracks me up!!)

Delete

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)

Enter a "Title" here:

Total posts: 2905
Posted:You know when it all gets boild down there are only 3 real moves in poi

the weave
the butterfly
and the wrap

Everything else is just a modification or combination of those three moves, just like all colours (spelled how Europe spells it so they can understand) is comprised of 3 original colours

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Delete

nasu

Total posts: 35
Posted:Actually there are 4 moves..

the weave
the butterfly
the wrap
the stall

and you are right everything else is a variation left right backwards or forwards or more rotations, or above your head or between your legs, feet planted or feet moveing. AND GOD DAMN IT PEOPLE DON"T FORGET TO DANCE! to many spinners I see standing in one place.

A weave with a wrap is more a combo than one single move that adds up to a greater move.

-nasu

Delete

Dom
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3009
Posted:The moves are:
circle
partial circle these are my current playthings
wrap, stalls & stops, which are all just variations on the same theme

Delete

Glåss

Glåss

Posted:ray thanks for spelling Colour right

The last 3 posts are both crap and annoying (IMHO )

but all this boring poi nerd talk gets me excited

SWITCH TO NERD MODE
so lets be pedantic, they are arcs not circles.
Due to the effects of gravity, the basic shape that a poi spins is not quite a circle
unless you doing one poi in a helicopter impersonation. (trust me, I am qualified to say this)

Doms you missed out Isolations and taking the weight off.
and I dont like them but what about throws.

and... rhythm
and... speed/tempo
and...
and..
stop trying to be so dull. or I'll out dull you by writing a super nerdy essay on some dull subject like .... blah blah blah

anyway, the point I wanted to make is that you are classifying a dance by what the poi do, rather than that which is most important which is the movement of the dancer.

I'd prefer to watch someone do basic parallel circles and dance beautifully. that lots of ugly technical muck, which is really what thiss thread is about.
Everytime.

So the real point for the newbies that sparks wasn't making was

It aint what you swing, its the way that you dance it.

now lets get back to dancing.

Glass

Delete

phunky

old hand

Posted:Yep, poi is dancing. Learning all of these moves just gives you the freedom to express yourself however you want while your dancing and not worry about it hitting you.

Delete

jonathan

enthusiast

Total posts: 210
Posted:to true guys, ive been labouring the foot work point for a fair while now, but, its all well and good to say move your feet......how do you guys do it?

i mean, the four poi stuff i do is almost totally reliant on tight foot work

what are some of your favourite foot work transitions? i think this would help out begginners no end, perhaps we should start a new thread to help those guys out?

Delete

bender
GOLD Member since Nov 2001

still can't believe it's not butter

Total posts: 6979
Posted:quote:Originally posted by Nic:
And i really hope all of you have a life outside of this discussion group and dont ONLY think and talk about poi, thats just not healthy.okay ima in trouble here folks...
heh heh. I have flame clothes, flame dreams, fire toys, taught my girlfriend staff n poi, stare avidly at people who carry 6" long bags... the other day i even bought some chips cus the bag had a flame pattern!
I'm one of those people that just take up a something and love it and love it!
I farking luuuurve firetwirling
/pretends there is a world outside of twirling....

(I'm not angry at ya nic, far from it! but I so wish that you were treated more nicely by other south african twirlers - come to melbourne my friend! we'll show you what a nice community can do for a fire scene!!)

remember folks, you're innit for the fun fun funses! so be true to that commitment and your twirling days will remain happy!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Delete

Nic

Total posts: 18
Posted:Att Bender: Nice post!
There are really nice people in South Africa, i just dont like the elitist thing that the fire crew seem to have going, i get along with them, just dont like their attitude 2 what they do. And in my opinion (and limited experience) Australians are really good people, very similar to South africans. So keep it real!

Att glass:

Quote:
---------------------------
SWITCH TO NERD MODE
so lets be pedantic, they are arcs not circles.
Due to the effects of gravity, the basic shape that a poi spins is not quite a circle
unless you doing one poi in a helicopter impersonation. (trust me, I am qualified to say this)
---------------------------

This is, once again, just for the sake of being pedantic, but wouldn't the centrafugal (spelling??) force exerted by the spinning motion be stronger than that of gravity, otherwise the poi would never leave the bottom of the arc. So wouldn't the poi stay at a constant distance from the centre of their axis? (thereby making the shape they're spinning in... a circle)

I'm not raggin you glass, just a discussion, if you are right then please reply with your reasoning, this kinda stuff interests me, i like learning.

and what qualifications do u have in this 'field', just curious?

Gooi nat, or don't gooi at all.*Nic*

Delete

Enter a "Title" here:

Total posts: 2905
Posted:Umm I really dont have a life so hehe thats why I am here hehe

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Delete

alterego

alterego

Posted:*Yay*

After all that no one has shot down my initial argument.

You have a five beat weave.

You have a five beat weave + a wrap.

You have a five beat weave + tangling then untangling your strings.

You have a five beat weave + planing your feet yet continuing to turn in a circle and barely squeeze in that last beat, not actually accomplishing a 'differen't' move. Just not moving your feet.

You have "moves" and "combinations of moves".

*Yay*

Delete

phunky

old hand

Posted:you're not reading carefully enough then.

quote:And if you want to talk about "new individual moves" well you know what there are none past forward spinning and reverse spinning. And everything else is a combination of those two in whatever hand. Your thinking is flawed on this matter because everything can be broken down to something smaller.So either we go your way and name everything, forward spinning + crossover + forward spinning x2 + blah blah blah

or we see it my way and it's a different move because it requires you to do something different.

Delete

Page: 123