Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > "Aztec prayer" or "Loki's prayer"

Login/Join to Participate

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
This is both a description and a warning. I'm not sure if anyone else does this move. I haven't seen anyone do it, and I'll consider it a personal move til someone tells me otherwise .

The move itself is technically simple but physically challenging: spin bicycle (or buzzsaw - short chains, hand-over-hand. poi form a wheel), drop to knees, lift the wheel above head as you bend backward. Concentrate on keeping your weight as low and toward your legs as possible. Push your legs outward. (I have the balls of my feet pointing down, but you may find this more comfortable with toes pointing backward). Continue bending over backward, spin with arms straight up as the top of your head comes to rest on the ground behind you, eyes looking backward. For clarification, at this point your knees are pointing NorthWest and NorthEast and your face is pointing South. Circle of flame toward the sky.

In a set when the crowd was otherwise silent during the spinning, they cheered for this move.

And now the warning: If you do this move, you should probably also do yoga or some regular intensive stretching regimen for your whole body. The body possesses the ability to put more strain on itself than it can handle safely. In the old days, this let our will determine the lesser of two evils, presumably, like spraining ankles running down a cliff versus getting eaten by a giant cat. But I digress. Watch out for injury doing this move, particularly in the lower back. If your back hurts too much after a set, consider doing a different move.

To the best of my knowledge, not having a flexible enough stomach, legs, hips, neck, and back for this move puts all the strain on the vertebrae at the lower back. But also to the best of my knowledge, Hot Damn, do audiences like this move.

peace.

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
ive done that before, i also do it with the butterfly so that from a birds eye view, theres a circle around your body, audiences love it, definitely worth a little stretching to accomplish...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
The all groovy Tjoni effortlessly bends allll the way back to perform this butterfly. Rick, u be right about the agility training, she is quite an advanced yoga person but will never be vain enough to admit it..

Non-Https Image Link

on the other hand, I twisted my knee that same night.... true story!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
getting downs not so hard.

getting up..... that's evil.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrian:
getting downs not so hard.

getting up..... that's evil.

taken literally, still holds true:

"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, But in rising every time we fall."
-Confucious

Non-Https Image Link

[ 02 August 2002, 13:44: Message edited by: Bender_the_Offender ]

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
*trumpets blaring, places hand on heart*

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
My little napalm fairy looks damn sexy when she does this move.

Meh

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
becouse my body is as ridid as a steel girder i have found a much less flattering move that is similar which it to effectively fall backwards onto your back (wont go into details now) and end up lying flat on your back usually doing butterfly and thread the needle. then to standup it is a simple roll upwards and then it is quite natural to go straight from the butterfly into the weave (makes a nice transition)
but it has just occured to me that it is possible to roll backwards passing your legs (with a bit of good timing through the butterfly then stand up with the butterfly behind you? i imaging we are ing the flexi relm again.

Enjoy - A

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

Leoniemember
7 posts

Posted:
trying to teach someone this trick is hillarious especially when the said person has the flexibility of a rock

getting up isnt so bad...if you have quad muscles like trees that is!

Belief? What do I believe in? I believe in sun. In rock. In the dogma of the sun and the doctrine of the rock. I believe in blood, fire, woman, rivers, eagles, storm, drums, flutes, banjos, and broom-tailed horses...

...phobos...member
56 posts

Posted:
Ive done a move somewhat like that, only i wasnt doing buzz-saw, i was doing butterfly in front of my face. Getting up was hard; i was doing a show and I got stuck on my knees. It was kinda like that scene on spinal tap where the guiy gets stuck while he was playing guitar...really funny. I had to twist my legs out from under neath me. And not look like it hurts. Youch!

man, it makes you wanna shoot them in the face and beat them with baseball bats, doesnt it?

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
i do this but i sit legs crossed and then lie down getting up just fold your legs lieing down then push leg on leg and bam your up!

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I think I saw you preform that when I was in Halifax. Looks great. Yeah, I think I went back too the place I was staying and tired it, or at least a buzzsaw, since I can't do one of those yet.

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Yea, we saw you do it tonight at the Pre-Paid-Show. ("best three words in the english language" i believe is how you put it) Though this is an old thread.
btw, if ivan is around.. its nick.. not "umm.. dark.. umm.. whatever your name is" heh. But yea, great show tonight, i always love seeing you spin, and the whole rope torch thing, awesome.

Oh, and while i'm on the subject... funniest thing happened, when you were spinning infront of the window a guy went up to where you had your towels and all that, looked at all your stuff and walked away and as he passed me he said in the most puzzled tone ever "There's no hat"

[ 15. September 2003, 01:29: Message edited by: DarkDevil ]

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
ten bucks says flipmodius could pull that off in a week. He didn't get the nick name "Flip" for nothing. Though he'd probably have to do the flip off a wall, it'd still look damn sweet!^-^

P*L*U*R

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
LOL, yea, he showed me his flip yesterday. Funny stuff. I bet theirs either a real funny story behind how he learned how to backflip, or one that goes nowhere.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
I can bend easily enough to do this move! Im going to try it tomorrow night!!!!

Power percieved is power achieved.

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
I've tried laying down with poi a few times. Spent more time bashing my face with the poi than anything else. I can do it on staff...the move on poi simply escapes me.

Always Beautiful

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
i can do it! you just have to have decently good abs. im not talkin bout a six pack, but if you've got a huge gut forget it. the only trick to not hitting yourself is to learn the buzz saw while lying down and learning it so good you can do it with your eyes closed.

Power percieved is power achieved.

soldaribusy-tofu!
133 posts

Posted:
Screw yoga (for now)! I just tried it now, and I can do this move easily; I guess I just have over-average natural flexibility... and I thought I was normal. I wonder what I could do with yoga

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

Cerberusmember
23 posts

Posted:
I can go down doing the buzzsaw (Though I never would have thought about it until I saw Loki do it at the Busker Fest). I've tried the butterfly like that once and gravity got the better of my poi... it didn't end very well to say the least. It was really easy for me to learn because I've always been able to sit down like that, I've been called a freak for doing that on more then one occasion (Though it was always between friends ^^).

~Cerberus~+Something simple+

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Ooh, I can do that. It is lovely. And I'm no yoga person, either. Back bends are my happiest things right now. I find it really satisfying to sink my torso back while doing a TTN and end up making long direct eye contact with someone standing behind me as I turn it into a buzzsaw and use that to break the eye contact. Fun!

[Note: this works best while wearing a bodice. ]

E pluribus unum, baby.

WintermuteLost in the world but loving it :)
119 posts

Posted:
Can't compete with the bodice but last night I got down leaning right back til my head is on the ground and doing TTN with forearm and upperarm wraps combined into it, looks dark if I say so myself

If fishes were wishes we'd all cast nets

Biale_koniemember
21 posts

Posted:
at the time I'm trying to ley down making a one will in one direction and jump on my "back"
taking chains in the ferr space betwen back and the groud .belive me this is hard I saw once people in shaolin makes something
Make and Belive

Each man, one weight;Each horse, one stand;Each church, one border;Each master to his own technique.