Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Cool looking fountain thing!

Login/Join to Participate

Hangstrupmember
18 posts

Posted:
Try doing a fountain, but use the extra beats from a 5 beat weave, 5 beat backwards weave and a 4 beat windmill.. This move looks pretty cool!!

Does anyone have a name for this??

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Other than the fact it's more difficult it looks exactly the same from the spectators point of view. Maybe a bit more delayed.

[ 26 July 2002, 18:30: Message edited by: phunky ]

Fwirl :pmember
76 posts

Posted:
sorry for the ignorance, but what IS the fountain? is there another name for it maybe that I might know?
thanx! :S
Luv 2 Ya All
Fwirl:p

Neo:Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I have a better one. How about I give you the finger and you give me my phone call?

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Fwirl,

There are some good threads describing the fountain but some give slightly conflicting views this is what I believe the fountain to be (feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

Forwards weave - windmill - reverse weave - windmill - forwards weave (ie turning from left to right and then back putting in a windmill on the way)

It is a name that has been given to this particular combination of moves and what is printed in above posts is exactly the same but using 5-beat weave and quad windmill instead of 3 beat and normal windmill

Hope this helps

Mark P

Fwirl :pmember
76 posts

Posted:
Cool!
Oh gotta try it now! Thank you Mark!
Luv 2 Ya All
Fwirl:p

Neo:Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I have a better one. How about I give you the finger and you give me my phone call?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
is that true Mr P? If so I can do a fountain. I'll ask my napalm fairy. She usually tells me I haven't got the move i thought i had. Like my 5 beat is actually a 3 beat with some tuck turns.

Who'd have thought it?

But i wouldn't be so inspired to spin poi if she wasn't such an awesome spinner. So it's all good.

Meh

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
As far as I am aware yes that is an accurate description of the fountain I think the 5-beat weave can look like it has a tuck turn type move in it during early practice because it is very easy to make the extra beats look out of place and slightly smaller - I havent actually done any tuck turns so I dont really know what they look like

napalm fairy - if that isnt the fountain then please let me know what the hell the fountain is as I know it is something similar and I should be able to do it!

fwirl - your welcome and good luck it actually comes quite easily, especially if you get the chance to watch someone show you

Mark P

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
errm mark
hope that was a typo
fountain =
forwards weave to reverse weave to windmill bactk to forwards weave

no windmill between the fwds and rev weave like you typed.
be cool
glass

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
hmmm glass,

I have also heard that description and was told whilst doing it that it should have the extra windmill in it - I have found that there is much confusion with this move and people have differing opinions so I have just submitted a poll suggestion, hopefully we might see it appear soon - sort it out once and for all!!!

I dont really mind though cos there really isnt much technical difference between the 2 and I can do both

Mark P

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
We'll have no more disscussion on this subject from feisty young upstarts or you'll anger the Gods of Poi and bring their wrath upon this thread.
And then you'll be sorry, and you're tails will get all tangled.

this one is a well documented old clubswinging move. you can look in jillings slightly difficult to follow book if ya wanna.

also. its one of the discussions that has come up soooooo many times in all 3 of the HOP discussion boards and been settled in all of them. 3bt weave to rev 3bt weave to windmill.

WhoopwhoopspleedyfLooP
glass

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
does that mean we get to name the weave-windmill-r.weave-windmill-weave as something else and anger the poi gods further???

Mark P (exits quickly before bender enters and sets traps )

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Does the whole jedi darth vader voice thing.

I little Glass as a diciple of Lord Bender the offender act in his name to call Forth the HOLY GODS OF POI upon this mortal young scally wag upstart.

RETURN NOT TO THIS PLACE MORTAL. An NAME NOT the COMBO@S OF OBVIOUSNESS.

Least I attack you with "The posts of extreme Nerdy Boredom" that shall bore you "to the pain" on the subject of excrushiating technical poi details.

No whats the : ) ( ) : : thing for gods of poi smilie with big thunderbolts and your monitor explodes with spacks and bangs thing and your poi do that knot where you have to stop to untangle thing every time you Spin

Drink your week lemon drink now.

LOL

Glass
______________________________-
shattered

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
less of the young please I am 25 in just over a week

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, think you guys are confusing your Upper and Lower fountains

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Shhhhhh Stone, everything had gone quiet for a minute

The photo with the wire wool that I have put into the photo competition is what I thought was the fountain but maybe it is an 'upper fountain', who knows and it dosent really matter to me as I am just happy spinning

Mark P

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I know I’m taking my life into my own hand, when I annoy the poi gods by talking about fountains, but hey, I like to live dangerously

Mark P, a wire wool fountain sounds cool, and I know what you mean when you say it doesn’t really matter, I am just happy spinning

I went back to the original fountains to find out why I was doing it differently going to the right, compared to when I went left.

From what I can gather, Schatz’s basic fountain consists of 2-beat follow circles going either to the right or to the left. He doesn’t get into the over/unders until later. The lower fountain is done at waist level, while the upper fountain is done shoulder (head) high. Combine them, and you get a full fountain. You don’t really do a windmill; just circles in front of the head (or bit higher). This move is more like a shower. Try it sometime; it’s fast, clean and fun.

For the so-called windmill, you go from the circles in front of the head, to circles behind the head, and then you stretch right up for the next circle, high above the head. Kinda puts a cap or a top on the whole fountain thing.

Indeed, fountains might be “old” club moves, but I noticed many of our English friends doing club moves with poi in COL3.

If anyone wants to know more about fountains, then you can always check out Diana the Huntress’s thread on fountains, if you're game, hehehe

CU

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Aww. isn't that cute? A thread that predates weaves with beats. From way back when the 3 beat was still a cross and follow.

Meh

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Quoting Diana

quote:
Take three counts of a down-chopping cross-follow (weave) along your right side.....
.....Add 3 beaten eggs, 8 oz of flour and whisk until light and fluffy. Bake on gas mark 6 for 35 minutes or until Golden brown in colour

Now I sometimes struggle with the definitons people give of their new moves but this old thread really takes tha biscuit.

Mark P