CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
All right so i confess I don't often post / read here because it is really hard for me to understand moves descriptions in english ...

so sorry if that has been discussed before , please ignore it , Ok ?

I realized that when I listen to techno music I tend to do more butterfly-ish / wraps moves and when the music is calmer I am more into weave-ish / buzzsaw moves ... have you ever felt that ???

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I find that it is nice to do nice butterfly type moves when in the intro to songs and then as the beat picks up do an arm wrap and come into weave, windmill, fountain moves.

I think this may be because I know the weave moves really well and varying the speed is therefore a lot easier, also weave moves look better than butterfly moves with variations in speed. Well at least that is what I think

Mark P

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
wow... i believe we have found a big difference between us with this one!

i couldnt be me the opposite. with techno i normally am erratic, unstructured, and flying all over the place, and weaves, derivations and variations, are mostly all that blend with my body. still thrown in some flutterbys and all, but then i dont move so much in them. with calm music (or my fav- s. american music) im more stable and so the butterfly and cousins all feel right.

sometimes

picturing your dance, what i have seen of it at least, it seems that you hold a conversation with your poi in how smooth and languid your style is. being such, calmer music for you would work because it would eliminate the chop of the butterfly beats, where the chop of the beats would be perfect for techno, melding with the rythym.

yet maybe im wrong about judging your style (hint hint: travel sooner, like... next week?)

Wow

4,224 posts

Posted:
Shibaki ... do we disagree ? OMG ... that'd be something like ... the first time in a whole year
Soon enough you'll see my style IRL, sweetie, soone nough

Because Butterfly moves feel so chopped then fit the hard beats of techno so well in my mind.

In general in any intro I am more of a corckscrew kind of spinner myself... but that's just me ...

Anybody else ?

Do you have a set of moves according to different music types ?

Do you have a ind of moves more for intros like Mark ?

And what is s-american music, Shibaki ???

shine on
cass

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Butterfly isnt always the intro it just tends to be in the slower sections of the music I find.

For intros I tend to use either :-

1. Basic spins with stalls to change direction and then stall between legs into reverse weave.

2. Spinning in circles with arms outstretched and coming back into corkscrew/windmill

3. Burn the Nose (with a fire breathe as my new trick ) as I am not very good at shortening the poi chains without stopping.

Mark P

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
s. american ~ south american. i have some of the most beautiful fiery amazing south american music. i can hardly describe it. this is my gem that i dance to, that wraps me up in its music.

Wow

4,224 posts

Posted:
Burn the nose ? you mean the buzzsaw ??? I've been playing with short chains moves recently and having so much fun.... like embracing this little wheel of fire .... YUMMY

Gotta send me some of those tunes, Shibaki

Shine on
cassandra

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hmmm not sure but I think burn the nose and buzzsaw are the same move - here is a piccy of me doing burn the nose a while ago.

buzzsaw or burn the nose???

I am yet to learn turning this move into the one where it is horizontal but I am trying hard - any tips anyone?

Mark P

4,224 posts

Posted:
yep ! we're talking abotu teh same thing ...
as I said, i'm playign with it quite a lot.
My tipe for whatever it's worth is to play a bit with a "mini corckscrew" where the shortened chains do the corkscrew move above and under your arms ... from that you can easily turn into buzzsaw and so on and so forth

Do I make any sense ?

klubkidnycmember
25 posts

Posted:
personally i think butterflys are great with the fast, hard hitting bass techno, house, and trance have....... there can be plenty of body movement with them depending on how advanced your butterflies are........but i love the weave too.... i think i use them both equally as much when i spin to that music.....especially wraps

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
yep cass, I follow what you are trying to say

I still have trouble moving into the buzzsaw move from others but I do like the move a lot

klubkidnyc my butterfly moves are not as well developed as my weave moves so I tend to use weave more for faster beat music. I still cant get to grips with the alternate butterfly stuff where you send one behind your head and then back and the other poi is doing the same but one move out of sync - more practice needed I feel

Mark P

klubkidnycmember
25 posts

Posted:
it's all about the practice....until i started to do a lot more butterfly work i found the weave easier to spin to the fast music....but once i got used to bouncing butterflies everywhere...i loved them. just put some time into them.. you can really do a lot with em'

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
cheers for the advice I really know that I need to put the practice in on the butterfly moves but I have only been sinning since October last year and I tend to get a bit carried away with the other moves and neglect the butterfly stuff

Maybe I will make it a new years resolution or something like that

Mark P

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Actually Cass, as well as butterflies I like doing same-time (parallel/insync) moves to tecfhno. Moves like low/high turns, chase the sun and others where I keep the poi together doing parallel circles.

I think it has something to do with the number of beats. Do you find it easier to do weaves to waltz music?

Cheers

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i actually totally agree with you cass. butterflies are good hard fast techo things, and much fun can be had with them or their variations. altho, i can toss windmills or corckscrews in for good measure. i tend to be more comfortable weaving on trance breaks.... or there's a certain stlye of beat... er... hm... can't explain myself again but it's a relly fast running sound, and i like to weave to that too. of course, if i mess up, i tend to go back to a weave anyhoo

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

4,224 posts

Posted:
Stone, I've spun a few times to classical music. I really enjoyed myself actually and indeed it fits my spinning. But waltz would seem especially tricky because it is a three beat music (you know what I mean ?) and poi moves / beats go in even numbers for me... you know what i mean ?

Kyrian, I so know what you mean ... When lost, I end up oing the weave of course LOL...

shine on
Cassandra

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I was listening to enigma, Rivers of belife, and It was sooooo inspiring. I did A great dance routine with my poi....where in a video camera when you need it ...Yea, music is inspiring!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

4,224 posts

Posted:
Santana, would you say you spin differently according to the music ? how so ?

Enigma ? (French band ... go France .... ... sorry ) and Era are nice music to spin to for me ... I'm just a slow spinner with sudden moments of change of rythms but in general, I'm a slow music spinner... and techno which I love sometimes feels like torture when i'm trapped in a beat ... HOWEVER ... i mus admit that I get rid of so much tension while spinning to techno "doing the butterfly" ... hmmm....

more input ?

shine on
Cassandra

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Mark when you claim
quote:
I have only been sinning since October last year
are you really telling us the truth?
Tom

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Anyhow, as to music and butterflys.. since I figured out how to do butterfly transitions it looks and works like a weave (just with more confused hands) and I fall from one to the other as I dance and turn. All I would say is that when a song gets 'bassy' with strong regular beats alternate and behind the head butterflys feel sooo right..
Tom

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Tom - yep only since October but I have a bit of an addiction I feel!!

Started Spinning when I saw Woody do a fire set and thought 'yeah I want to do that!' Got a lot of help from woody and HoP and practice most days now but I think the most advantageous learning has been at the free parties and festivals meeting lots of other lovely like minded spinners and sharing little tricks

It was hard trying to start with in the winter as it was fairly cold here in the UK but now I find myself thinking that there arent enough hours of darkness at the moment for fire performances and almost wishing winter back upon us!!!

Mark P

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
--Quote--
was hard trying to start with in the winter as it was fairly cold here in the UK but now I find myself thinking that there arent enough hours of darkness at the moment for fire performances and almost wishing winter back upon us!!!
--End Quote--

Mark, I couldn't agree more, except when it's winter I won't want to stay out over night at beaches/woods/fields

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I can remember some sets around Christmas last year where my fingers were completely numb before I finished my practicing

Maybe I will get one of those big outdoor heater things but I will also be able to lock myself in a dark room when the beaming balls and electroglo poi arrive

Mark P

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I was being silly cos you wrote sinning not spinning oh well...

4,224 posts

Posted:
Tom ...be carefull ... being silly on HOp is punished by death penalty : you have to eat marmite until you actually explode !!!!

::runs away to hide before the marmite inquisition finds her::

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
lol - shows how awake I am at the moment even when I read your quote I didnt see that I had written sinning

Cheers for the pick-up

MArk P

ufo8mycatBRONZE Member
journeyman
60 posts

Posted:
I mold my spinning to the Form of the music:
the beat, the style, the mood of the person who wrote it, the atmosphere around you: all of these shape your reaction to the sounds, and then how you express yourself with poi.

Spinning turns me inward and removes me from the now so music and poi become one.

As far as this is possible...

I tend to goto butterflies when there is a call for unity, or a need to pause for breath, to step back or listen... the arcs push the music skywards...

(i think i know what i mean!!)

it's not that i mean to set things on fire...

4,224 posts

Posted:
UFO8mycat, are you basically saying that you'd use butterfly for slower music and weave for faster spinning ?

ufo8mycatBRONZE Member
journeyman
60 posts

Posted:
err... not really, because sometimes music may sound slow, but burn you up inside...

and the reverse...

i span to Flight of the Bumblebee, and that needed lots of butterflies and couldnt be faster.

i realise im not being that clear.
(not amazing at the whole articulation with letters business)

butterflies have certain stops and starts, weaves are more fluid...

dont know if that helps

(gets all confused, computer screen stares back with that i-know-ure-frustrated-but-u-deserve-it glare)

tout empeche

xx

it's not that i mean to set things on fire...

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Xebarsis and I had a nice arguement on this... while we were on our little streak of listening to techno on one of our challanges to stay up longer than the other (*stops and takes a breath*), we noticed that we were doing the butterfly for half of the song.

Also we found it harder to incorporate certain moves into the song (eg. corkscrew/5 beat and 6 beat weaves) because they are either to fast or they stay stay to long on one single side of the body (*stops and takes another breath*).

Then we started spinning to Hard trance and house. That seemed easier besides the first 16/32 intro beats. Also spinning to the songs in CoL2/3 (maybe 1 too, never seen it though) is also quite easy and enjoyable.

Yay for on the spot typing! ^_^
Kinudin