TopHatmember
34 posts

Posted:
A new combination I was playing around with was something I called 4 Quarter Combination. I'm not sure if others use it or not but it runs pretty smoothly and I'm guessing it would look really cool with fire (I've only done it with practise). Using wrapped/short poi practise doing an upside windmill: lean over the ground and do a windmill on the inside of your lean then on the outside. Now for the whole 4 Quarters part - Basically it's Windmill (2 beats), Left Side Chase (1 Beat), Upside-Down Windmill (2 Beats), Right Side Chase (1 Beat) - Repeat and Variate if Desired I hope I've made some contribution to the poi world

Dave

Ouch! Eep! Damn Leg Hair stop getting in the way!

freemember
10 posts

Posted:
why don' u try it with fire? Sounds cool.

free

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
what's an upside-down windmill?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
is an upsidedown windmill a windmill performed in the opposite direction? as opposed to an upsidedown windmill being a windmill performed whilst leaning backwards almost to a bridge? did you mean backward instead of upsidedown? when explaining new fancy poi moves, ya must assume that i have the mind of a 4 year old. it's scarily close to the truth
i get confused indeed.
and when i get confused,
Mr Biggleworth gets upset.
and when Mr Bigglesworth gets upset,..
..people make more sequels!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

TopHatmember
34 posts

Posted:
Okay for those 4 year old readers I have made a picture in hope to explain the Upside-Down Windmill more easily. Instead of doing a Windmill above your head as shown in the poi lessons, do a Windmill like the stylish blue stick figures are If I can get this URL thing to work?! Upside-Down Windmill or Inverted Windmill

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
????????

I don't understand

Is it.....?

1, Behind (small of back kinda place) to infront (chest area, below head) to behind small of beack etc?

or

2, not that

or

3, below head neck kinda thing to further infront of you?

waah.

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
sicne the link isn't working, i'm with sub!

what's goin on??

*would luvvvv to know!!*

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I think it looks like a corkscrew, just leaning 90 degrees farther into it so it's vertical but in the opposite orientation as a normal windmill. And it does look quite nice, I'd love to see one in time-lapse photo!

Good call, TopHat

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
still have no idea what ur on about....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
help... my head hurts..... where am i??? whats going on???..... who are you people!?!?!

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

TopHatmember
34 posts

Posted:
Thanks Brody you explained it better then I did. The link works fine for me. Hmmmmm, I've tried it with fire it's kind of cool looking. All of you will have to try it, it's nice... and hot.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I would love to try it... but what is it?

please? what's an inverted windmill?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Is t like a weave??

But you take it in front of you ie.

Forward weave
Turn body left
keep weave in same orientation going behind back to left side. (confused yet?)when arms are getting tangles
Up to windmill (untangle)
Down to right hand side behind back if you will
back round in front
so the weave is going in big circle around you??

Does that make sense.
No behind back weave tho its it is the weave going in front of chest and behind head in circular movement

lost in words

"At the top of the spin..

..I found my smile"

Herby

At the top of the spin..
..i found my smile biggrin

TopHatmember
34 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Brody:
I think it looks like a corkscrew, just leaning 90 degrees farther into it so it's vertical but in the opposite orientation as a normal windmill.
Here! Okay, if you use short poi or wrapped poi you can do a corkscrew below your arms and above your arms as opposed to below your arms then above your head yes? Well do this and lean 90 degrees forward. I done it with fire it looks really cool and is very simple to pull off, especially if you put it into a 4 Quarter Combination. Bye! ...and Goodluck with my bad explanations. Sorry

TopHatmember
34 posts

Posted:
*TopHat makes a video and posts a link... that works*

... I really would if I could but sorry I can't It'd be a lot more helpful then me I'm sure

[ 20 July 2002, 21:06: Message edited by: TopHat ]

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
TopHat - I understand your inverted windmill thingy.

I just wish I could get it every time. Nice stuff though

One question - do you do your four quarters in quick succession so that it's a few beats of each all rolling from windmill > chase > inverted windmill > other chase and constantly turning or do you pause at each stage for a while?

And have you tried throwing in some btb stuff (360 btb chase then back to the beginning) - this makes it a six part move and it looks really good. the btb is hard with wrapped poi though......

*skips off to practice some more*

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ros ur too good at this stuff eesh......

thanks for teh explanation, i get it

since i only just started doing small amounts of short chain stuff, i think it'll take a lot of practice, but i bet it looks sick!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

TopHatmember
34 posts

Posted:
Ummmmm I stay in both Windmills for a bit and basically only use the chases/weaves to get from one Windmill to the other. I'll have to try an play around with those BTB movements and add more combinations into it I hope you can all get what I was trying to say I'm pretty lame at explaining Poi moves Oh well, Good Luck with the Short Poi moves Kyrian, they look really cool with fire but you probably already know that Hehehe this face is funny.