Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Every wrap eplained in only a few short sentences.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
Because I like wraps I want to try to explain how to do any wrap.

All you have to do to pull off any wrap of any kind is put the part of your body or random object in the flight of the chain, cable or cord. The poi will do the rest themselves. To unwrap a little flick of the wrist and or a slight tug and the poi are unwraped.

With a little practice you too can wrap like a pro.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
grin this sounds like one of those fitness-trainer get rid of your tummy in 5 minutes adds.
wrapping in 5 minutes success guaranteed

Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
*excited* maybe one day I'll be a pro!!!!

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
lol, true, but it's more subtle than that.

oi, and more painful. i thought i was going to be all cute and do this wrap combo i've seen someone do taht i really like, and after i hit myself in teh face three times in a row i decided mebbe i wasn't.

oh, you forgot a touch of advice. shorten ur chains!!!!!!!

P.S. Morgy you is awesome! good call!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Phuzz, we must twirl one time! I am not converted to wraps... yet! turn me to the dark side.... or join your rebel friends!
wait, that made no sense...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Ever try doing wraps on things that aren't yourself? I started experiementing with while spinning outside by my porch. Did some wraps off the handrail, looks v v cool.

I've since tried this on other things, such as trees, picnic tables, and pedestrians. To save yourself a lot of troubles don't bother practicing on the pedestrians.

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
quote:
To save yourself a lot of troubles don't bother practicing on the pedestrians
ROFLMAO!!!!
that struck me as so funny! Thank you for the funny, i can't stop giggling!

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
For the most part, you are correct. But for some of the more complicated wraps, you just have to practice them a lot until you get comfortable with the angles, speed, and positioning. The simple leg wraps and arm wraps are pretty easy to pull off, but when you start doing alternate double bicep wraps and alternate double hand or handcuff wraps and behind the back "rolley-tango" wraps, it just takes patience. Don't get discouraged. That's the biggest piece of advice I can give. Happy wrapping!

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Yes was with it till

behind the back (Rolley-Tango) wraps
What is that?

Herby

At the top of the spin..
..i found my smile biggrin

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
When in doubt...search.
This is where it first appeared. Go about halfway down the page. It was explained by Sundevil.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Now things are clear..
I'm glad we got that sorted out.
Hats off to all

Herby

At the top of the spin..
..i found my smile biggrin

calvranSILVER Member
61 posts

Posted:
Random objects are fun to wrap. I broke a glowsticks clip thing off once after obcessively wrapping and unwrapping it around the pole on my friend's trampoline for 10 minutes. And pedestrian wraps are fun! Do atoms, bodywrap, then go up and wrap around somebody and go back to normal atoms. Very fun, and they are left thinking "WTF"...Note : Don't do this with fire. And with anything else, make sure they don't recoil from the psycho chasing them with spinny things, because if they back up while you are doing it, you will hit them and they will be mad and probably hit you.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
dark-side the power!!!

I like wraping on somebody else, like them through punches and kicks at you and you wrap on thier arms an legs, it looks cool. Especialy with wrap-switches.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
I am very dissapointed in this post, i was hoping to find out what the phrase 'eplained in only a few short sentences' meant...

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
I thought it covered it quite well

Spin Poi Place object in path of Poi When cable reaches maximum distance pull poi back Poi should now be travelling in a different direction Practise until it is smooth and requires Zero consious effort it is true that some are more complex but....
suppose it's similar to every Poi move explain in two words.
Spin Poi

[ 25 July 2002, 22:17: Message edited by: sub ]

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by glowshow:
For the most part, you are correct. But for some of the more complicated wraps, you just have to practice them a lot until you get comfortable with the angles, speed, and positioning. The simple leg wraps and arm wraps are pretty easy to pull off, but when you start doing alternate double bicep wraps and alternate double hand or handcuff wraps and behind the back "rolley-tango" wraps, it just takes patience. Don't get discouraged. That's the biggest piece of advice I can give. Happy wrapping!
I'm going to have to agree with phuzzie wuzzie on his explanation. When you break down all wraps, all the poi are doing is recoiling off a body part. So i never understood the posts asking what new wraps are there. Stick out a limb and be creative. The wrap is usually only as creative as the move prececding it. BTB, BTL etc etc. Contort your body and wrap. Just be creative and stick out a limb. Those are for single wraps mind you, i do admit it takes a bit more practice to link them all together. But like all poi moves it's easier after time.

6,978 posts

Posted:
/waves wildly at the not-the-america nation
Hi Phunky!!!!
is that a poi wraping on a poi into a throw that shibaki does in COL 3?
applejuice! now that's what i want!

Fwirl :pmember
76 posts

Posted:
Red and Orange Apple Juice???

Neo:Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I have a better one. How about I give you the finger and you give me my phone call?

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Word of warning to all those wrappers out there - Bare arm wraps really hurt when you have sunburn

Mark P

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Bare arm wraps also hurt when the fireheads tangle on the chains and take off the top two layers of your skin.

(twiddles thumbs waiting for scar to heal)

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
ouch! yeah I have a couple of burns from the metal clasps on a friends set of poi that I was using on monday - quite nice shapes though

Mark P

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
This is one thread which prompted a new separate one in Technical/Moves » Technical Discussion WRAPS: ballchain vs. link chain vs. twisted cable vs. ?, & special considerations

quote:
New & unanswered Best-Chain-for-Wraps questions for all you pros and wrap-fiends, in a dedicated thread. This thread more about the equipment than the wrap move technique, though of course we're drawing on that too, for answers.
Some of you in this thread may have light to shed there too, so just letting you know, click on the link I just gave you to give us ya expertise and opinions.

And Mark P, congrats on your new Glastonbury wrap.

[ 31 July 2002, 15:09: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Concerning this thread, (*highly dangerous*) anyone try wrapping each other or?

...heh heh...careful...

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Bender_the_Offender:

is that a poi wraping on a poi into a throw that shibaki does in COL 3?

I always though wrapping poi around poi was tangling up your chains together. But i guess i've been gone long and new concepts have been made

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
ah come on Phuzzi Wuzzi

What about the poi wrap poi moves
(don't know if this is same as col 3)
but definately a jedi move, and not an "all you do is just..."
and all the other through wraps (Ie wraps that keep going and don't stop or chance direction like neck wraps) as opposed to the stop and recoil wraps ur talking about .

Continous alternating between the leg (through wraps, not stop wraps) while walking forwards gotta keep you busy for a while.

ps check the time on this post, not healthy. just finished work, thats why I'm loitering in the poi moves section where I'm never to be read.

Glass

6,978 posts

Posted:
don't wraps make you guys fry your lips real fast and get you sooo sooo thirsty for applejuice? damn after sweating all that moisture and breathing desert-dry flames and thinking thirsty thirsty (britney!) thirsty, that ya have to pack apple juice? even if it does look a little ...orange.
dang this post be making me thirsty. I should not have had that pedicure!

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I have this dying urge to drink corn juice now. Do they make that anymore?

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
what is corn juice, unless literally squashed out of corn kernels, or the water leftover from boiling them? it may be odd, i could prolly get into that, but apple juice, yeah, red and orange apple juice especially, sounds poifect after a poi wrap of intense concentwation

and santanatwo or anyone, what are "wrap-switches," since these sound like they can follow on wrapping other people?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I think it's like any other juice... fruity or vegetable-ey and doesn't taste anything like the thing it's supposed to.

Wizz-er-pops
206 posts

Posted:
Hello

Dont know if anyone asked this before but I do wraps with my normal poi all the time and want to try with my fire poi. How dangerous is it to do a leg wrap with fire? Will I set my trousers on fire?!? eek Is there any advice to make it less scary?

Wizz

Poi... it's an obsession.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
wear denim.

avoid doing this

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood