SeattleLitemember
12 posts

Posted:
I called this the 3-sided weave when I figured it out, but then saw that someone had already called it the waist wrap. Whichever, right?

This move feels great to do fast or slow, is a hell of a workout for the arms, and looks terrific! I’m working on variations over my head now; if anyone figures something out, please let me know.

First, while doing the forward weave, turn 90 degrees in either direction so you are doing the weave in front and behind you. This takes some twisting to let the poi unwind behind you, but it’s not too difficult. When you can have the poi spinning in a controlled plane in front of you, it’s a good time to do the rest of the move.

The move starts with the transition from forward weave to backward weave. As you turn, the poi are spinning in a plane parallel with your shoulders (in front of you) for a moment. Then you finish the turn and move into backward weave, where the poi spin in a plane perpendicular to your shoulders (at your sides). Instead of completing the turn, stop at 90 degrees, so you’re facing sideways to where you started and the poi are spinning in front of you. Without completing your body’s turn to backward weave, reach around your side and do one revolution of the backward weave behind your back. Then bring the poi back to your front, wind them in front of your body, and unwind them in the forward weave on the other side of your body.

So you are winding and unwinding on your left, in front, on your right, in front, on your left… Now turn 180 degrees and try it on the other side.

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
so the wrap is silent?

SeattleLitemember
12 posts

Posted:
Depends on if you're screaming or not...

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
*scratches head*
seems pretty straight forward but the btb part does sorta confuse me....
u basically do the weave at your side yes?? so one part is btbackish???
or do u have rubber arms???

uhm....
Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

SeattleLitemember
12 posts

Posted:
Rubber arms ... I wish! You're standing sideways, so if you see the part of the weave in front of your body as "winding" the poi, then the "unwinding" takes place behind the body on alternating sides. Wind in front, then unwind behind your back with both hands on your right side. Then come back to the front, wind it up, and unwind behind your back with both hands at your left side. I twist at my waist and pull my opposite hand all the way past my hip. That is, I will twist right and my left hand will come all the way to my right hip to unwind on that side, and vice versa. I'll take a video of it today and try to figure out a way to post it.
good luck!
laterz,
-Todd