dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
What the fuck??!! Am I just being a fool or am I just getting this drastically wrong?
But none of the wraps I am trying are working and I don't understand why ...... can someone give me a list of wraps or their favourite wrap and explain it as if you're explaining it to a 3 year old please. That way I may understand.
Thank you, you lovely people!
Mwa!
Dibs xxx

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
*notices the 'definitive listing of wraps thread' below.......... reads it all..........still, I am none the wiser*

AHHHHHHHHH!! This makes no sense! Aid me????

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
I do quite a few different wraps and don't have much of a problem really

If you're not getting any wraps to work whatsoever then it may be that you're missing something fundemental?

Or you could simply have cables(or whatever you use) that are too long?

Presently I only use a few wraps,

Arms -
Swinging Forward -
Right arm sticking out to the right as far as the elbow. then forearm is bent 90 degrees, so it facing forward, swing ball/fire/glowstick forards and underarm, back up behind you and over the elbow, hold on forearm, then push ball up with forearm and into backwards swing.

it the goes under arm to under neath of forearm and back to forwards swing

Legs, swinging forwards, in butterfly plane, wrap round leg at, ankle, shin, thigh, very high thigh near groin. lifting leg to make it in correct location for poi to hit it

or swing backwards and do the same.

legs are probably the easier to do, but I think I did the arm things first

also round the hands is doable, sorry I find it doable.

probably won't help.

I lit my fire-poi for the first time this weekend, ah, what fun, but no other spinners

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
MWA!
Thank you!

Managed the arm, but it's not swinging forwards again, it remains going backwards.....hmm....I'll figure it...

but thanks for the simple explination angel, it's much appreciated. The easier it's written, the easier it is to visualise. Thank you so much xxx

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
aah, dibs *runs up gives dibs a hug*. Nice one!

I really love doing flaming upper thigh wraps, really scares people .

once you get leg ones working you should be able to do a butterfly reversal using a leg, mines still messy as hell 9 times out of ten though.

yay! I helped someone wow, I'm chuffed for the whole day now. wicked.

*But you're so tired...*

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
mmmmmmmmm..........hugs

Now, these leg wraps....

How was your first light up btw? Did you have fun. It's amazing that first time (still amazing now like but you know what I mean) *Reads the brackets over and thinks about how much of a scally she sounds...how strange* erm, anyway... I was alone my first time too, but I liked it that way. Just me and the fire. PLaying together....hehe

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
thanks for asking

well, I actually did my first light last tuesday, but it was with someones elses poi and I didn't really like the place I was in, too enclosed. but that was good experience.

however, the litre of citronella oil I used to myself on saturday was wonderful.

felt as though I was in far greater control (even though I'd been awake for about 36 hrs by then), probably felt safer cause I was on a beach, and I was using my modified fire-poi (only orignal parts are the wick and the swivel on the wick, the rest of it was awful).

*reads bracketed bit for the fourth time, brain kicks in, starts laughing (variarion 16b, 'mildly through nose'), listens to himself, laughs harder*

On the whole the burning was very much fun, looking forward to seeing the photo's

Took 4 glowstick poi with me for my friends as well, so that was cool.

--------------------
reading back over this message I once again notice my ability to ramble incessantly. grr.
--------------------

*But you're so tired...*

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Whats wrong with your 'Chin' man? Did you try and wrap your face??

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Hey Dibs. First question to ask is how long are your chains/strings? The longer they are, the harder it makes it to control a wrap. And also if they are too short, it becomes pointless.
This thread might help out a little bit more. It was the precursor to the 56+ listing. I thought it was it little more detailed. Also, I know that I went into pretty good detail about every step of a couple of "flowing" wraps at the bottom of this page. If you need any more help or detailed explanation, feel free to email me. I'd be glad to help.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
lol, sorry that's one of my current random words. no painful chining for me.

to explain - I have words that I like to randomly place in conversations, or turn into songs when I'm bored.

I was bored with my sig. so I changed it. in retrospect it is rather confusing though. lol.

and I have a rather large and unkempt beard upon my chin, so if I were to hit it I think I would cry, that or try and put it out.

*But you're so tired...*

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
wow! Thank you! Got my work cut out now me thinks - better get back to practicing! (looks outside into the british rain.....fuck!) Thank you so mucha nyway.
Big kiss to you. Mwa!
Dibs xxx

LOL@ Sub. Ya big fool!

[ 02 July 2002, 04:10: Message edited by: dibs_star ]

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:

Yay! I got a peck from a lovely person. You made my day! (I have had a really bad day so far, and it's only 12:30.) Glad i could help.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Oh, my poi are definitley not too long or too short. They is of perfic length, I'm just rubbish!

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
also when doing wraps i find it works best if you wrap around a meaty limb like biceps or thigh. those muscles kinda work like a spring.. and unwrap quick you have to get it timed out.... right when its wrapped all the way around your arm and its about to stop you should be tuging on it to un wrap.. what are you using??? fire poi
or glowsticks??

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I find wrist wraps and bicep wraps the easiest and most flowing ones to do. Probably co I can't do any others anyway. Would like to get them all better with and without fire. They're much easier with glowsticks than my fire chains i think.

Just have to get some contact staff going now too and i'll be happy

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
i always found thigh and lower leg wraps the easist. the poi almost unwrap all on their own. but..with anything...the more ya practice the better you get. sorry bout the bad day glowshow..just go spin for a while...i find poi will solve ANY problem..or at least make you forget about em for a while . lotsa luck with the wraps.

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Cheers guys I am still trying. I haven't aboandoned it just yet. Will get this one day!! Thanks for the help though.
Dibs xxx

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hi Dibs,

I have found a wrap that I love to do in fire performances, after a little bit of practice it is really easy (I still cant do a lot of the more complicated moves ).

I will try and explain :-

Think of the basic weave motion, when the right hand poi is on the right hand side at the top of its spin, the left hand poi should be at the bottom.

The normal move to continue the weave here is to bring the right hand poi over to the left hand side.

Instead of doing this stick out your right leg (a little bit of balance required but not too much) you should now be able to wrap the right hand poi on your right thigh and then immediately after wrap the left hand poi on your right calf.

Once the poi have wrapped there is a brief moment when they are stationary but pulling the chains should force them to unwrap in the opposite direction.

I find that I can pivot on my left foot while doing this wrap therefore including a small (90° ish) turn while the poi are wrapping. (if I turn left then I go into reverse weave when I unwrap the poi and if I turn right then I will be back into forwards weave.)

The other wraps that I can successfully do are butterfly/weave moves.

starting with a butterfly in front of you, bring one hand closer to your body as the poi is at the bottom of its spin. You should then be in a position to wrap either the bicep or forearm of the opposite arm (keeping the other poi in normal butterfly rotation). The poi will wrap and then pulling back on the chain should force it to unwrap in the other direction and then turning right you should be able to get into the weave fairly easily (looks better after a bit of practice).

as for the reverse of the above move (ie weave to butterfly) I put the wrap in under the right bicep. Imagine doing the weave and turning to the right - as you bring the right hand poi into a circle on the right hand side of your body the left hand poi wraps under the right bicep, continue spinning the right hand poi in a circle and as you pull and unwrap the left hand poi you should be able to get into the butterfly (I struggled with this one for a little while and am still polishing it at the moment)

I hope some of the above are explained well enough that they give you some help, if not then all I can suggest is getting someone to show you some nice slow wraps as this is probably the easiest way to learn.

For practice with wrapping and unwrapping your chains I would suggest starting with the basic forwards motion (circle to each side of your body) then stick out one of your legs and let the poi wrap, when it unwraps it should be going in the opposite direction. This seemed very strange to me at first as I wasnt used to spinning the poi in opposite directions but I think this is also good practice.

Good Luck,

MarkP

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
Hey dibs_star, you allready know where the wraps go im sure you can figure that part out. The issue with most technical and simple things that most have includeing myself, is the mechanics.
First I would start with glowsticks if I were you. That way you can hurt yourself without being burnned, and using shoestrings, glowsticks allow better "bounce", and you can do TONS of wraps cuz "spiral wraps" are the shiznit.
The main things you need to think about or do is for arm, leg, and neck wraps are,
1. distance - you dont want the "head" of whatever to not go far enough and hit yourself, or too far and wrap twice (or 1.5) or swing back and hit your knuckles. I would say you want no more than 6 inches of (chain-string-whatever) to wrap- you allso dont want to get stuck
2. controle - you want to make sure your swing is crisp and hitting its traget correctly
3. MOMENTUM - let the "head" bounce off its target - do NOT pull untile it has stopped and started bounce back. Use momentum to your advantage and let it do 80% of the work.

Start with simple and single legs and arms then move to wraping both on the same limb- then alternate dif limb dif "head" then its limitless.
If you like I may be able to post a vid with glowsticks by this weekend of diff wraps.
I think this should help you