Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > split (or alternating?) 4-beat weave

Login/Join to Participate

Kyromember
24 posts

Posted:
I started this by swinging my right poi foward, left poi backwards...
attempted figure-8, after some practice --- got it!!
attempted weave, after much practice --- Got it!!!
attempted 4-beat weat, after lots of practice ---GOT IT!!

now i'm practicing swinging my left poi forward, right poi backwards...
got figure-8 - yeah!!
got weave - yeah!!!
still hitting my head with the 4-beat - ouch!!

I can turn with the weave also....but until I learn the 4-beat with left fwd and righ bckwds
the 4-beat turn will be a while.

The gals in the troupe call it kaos in motion or something like that - it looks amazingly
crazy.

From the most primitive cultures to the most advanced civilizations,man has had to manufacture things;his well-being depends on his success at production.The lowest human tribe cannot survive without that alleged source of pollution: fire. Ayn Rand

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
When its at your sides are you doing the butterfly or are the poi chasing each other?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Sounds like alternation with the butterfly, threading the needle and extra beat thread the needle. If so you can do 360 turns with it just as easily.

Oh, you can also move it straight over your head as well, and behind the back to your sides if it's split time.

[ 26 June 2002, 23:57: Message edited by: Dom ]

Kyromember
24 posts

Posted:
when some of the troupe first tried the move, they looked to have "got it" - but instead it was doing the variation you wrote, bttfly with a thread the needle move. I simply kept doing the move and they broke it down and now several can also do the same move.

If a weave is broken down as follows, then technically it's a weave with the Right in fwd while Left is backward or Right is backward while Left is fwd.

In regular fwd weave - count goes, Right does one fwd swing on R side and two bckwds swind on L side.

in regular bkwd weave - count goes, Left does one bckwd on L side and two fwd on R side

when I start - Right poi fwd, Left poi bckwd
it helps to begin by moving when the R poi hits top while L hits bttm - then move R to L side, under for a bckwd butterfly.

(do just the opposite when Left poi fwd, Right poi bckwd)

now all i do is the regular count for a weave while one goes fwd and one goes bckwd.

It's very cool!!

From the most primitive cultures to the most advanced civilizations,man has had to manufacture things;his well-being depends on his success at production.The lowest human tribe cannot survive without that alleged source of pollution: fire. Ayn Rand