MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, I am meeting some folks (hopefully!) to spin on the beach tomorrow night. Wonderful? Yes. Here's the problem:

I have never spun on anything that wasn't a firm, flat surface. The softest thing I've ever spun on was wet grass.

So how does one spin on soft sand without falling on one's ass? Any tips on footwear and balance techniques?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
first off use your bare feet. in the sand (basically anywhere I spin here in the desert) I like it much more and find it to be easier to tell what I"m about to step on. other then that just make sure you lift your feet to avoid the tripping aspect.

also if you spin down where the sand is wet, it tends to be more firm, and it feels cool to have the tide come up on your bare feet. but watch out for the occasional much-larger-then-normal wave. they have a tendency to put out your fire and waterlog your wick if you're not prepared.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Is your balance usually a problem? If not I can't imagine any real problems occurring. As long as you're on a flatish beach and not up in the dunes the ground tends to behave itself qute well.

Meh

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
I imagine that spinning on sand will build up strong ankles and develop your calf muscles. I vaguely recall that runners often train on the beach, and I vaguely recall from the movie that Phar Lap's trainers made him strong by galloping him along the beach!! If it's good enough for Phar Lap it'll be good enough for you!

freemember
10 posts

Posted:
did some beach spinning for the first time last week in Mozambique. It was the most beautiful spin i ever had. there was someone taking footage so i suggested i spin on the wet sand with the waves coming up to my knees. The reflection just added another dimension to the pics. it's not as hard as you think to do it on the beach. On the soft sand i would suggest a mat of some sort. I started getting ankle deep into it.

free

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
That sounds wonderful!

Hope the pics come out good!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
My advice would be to keep your feet flat to the ground. Putting pressure excessibely on your toes or heels might make you sink a bit. The only beach we have here is by the Thames, and it's a complex mix of pebbles, sand and mud (and driftwood) which makes spinning on it rather exciting!

freemember
10 posts

Posted:
Sepa, Pics were awesome. one guy had digital video and the other had a stills so we could see straight off what they looked like. Wish I could show them to you. Maybe i work da plan. Wierd seeing yourself spin though. Very good for whetting the technique. Not that i'm the "one". but i try

free

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
Nice one!