MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I'm trying to get some BTB moves going. It looks like I'll eventually be able to get a butterfly down, but I'm running into problems with the weaves.

I've started just trying to play with one hand back there, but I keep banging my shoulders. I have very broad shoulders for my height (look in the gallery for an idea of the problem).

Anyone else with broad shoulders have this problem? Is this move even possible for people like us, or do I give up now and use my time more productively?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Yeeeah, don't worry about it. It's a matter of practice. I used to bang my shoulders all the time. My shoulders aren't overly broad, but they're broad enough that if I was able to get it I'd say you could too. You might just have to work a little harder. It's just a really tricky move.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
as another broad-shouldered individual I do have the same problem. I can do them with only one poi, but with both I cant get my arms out far enough to clear my shoulders, and when I tilt them enough to clear the shoulders they hit my legs. I say dont give up, but I've found that I spent my time alot more productively without doing the BTB stuff. I usually only practice it once a week now. but also keep in mind you may be able to do it easier then me. my arms are very unflexible back there as well, so I got the double whammy. hope it helps.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I don't have broad shoulders, yet I still hit them when I try behind the back moves. Just practice alot, you can get pretty much any move with tons of practice. I almost gave up on the idea of the btb weave, but yesturday doing btb crosses just clicked. It's not a weave, but it's a step. The btb butterfly is a nifty move, though if I do it too long they get crossed and tangled.

Pragmember
17 posts

Posted:
I got btb weave only this last week end! Can only do about three cycles on average but lately I seem to have lost it again. Practice is the only answer and going through what works best. I don't know what the others think but I seem to have to rely on my fingers more to get that extra edge out of the wrist movement. I read somewhere here that starting it in reverse is good, it helped me. After all the bruises I got to my back, shoulders and legs I can't give up. Especially since I have nicknamed it 'the nut cruncher'! Keep it up

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, today's big accomplishment was that I got the windmill in the opposite direction from usual, which should allow me to spin with the poi over my head.

BTB is going to have to wait...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Johnnimember
24 posts

Posted:
Well my BTB crossover attempts are still at the "hitting shins v.frequently" stage. But I have faith! I WILL GET THERE...just with several bruises along the way

Weazalmember
13 posts

Posted:
Ahh I remember the many countless nights of beating the crap outa myself trying to learn the btb weave. Then one day it finally clicked and I got it. Try using a staff to get the hand motions down for the btb stuff a freind of mine said that really helped him out. And maybe you'll end up with a few less bruises then I got.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I haven't read the definitive wrap listing, so this one might already be in there, but I thought I'd mention this BTB wrap while BTB stuff is being discussed. Tis rather simple actually...while spinning a poi forward cross it over behind your back to the opposite arm, wrap, and bring back to original side. Feels lovely to do...

wanderinglintonmember
31 posts

Posted:
Get two light (as in not heavy) sticks each about 1m long and practice with these until your hands understand what your head is trying to tell them.

Also move your body. Turn your head away from the side you are spinning on. I found (when trying to learn this and looking in a mirror) that my biggest problem was that the poi were mot moving parallel to my body but rather at 45 degrees because of the uncomfortable position of my hands.

Subsequently, every spin you are having to pull the poi out of its plane into another one - soon destined for whackage. In my case (since my poi were longer) continual shots to the face resulting in a black eye.

Anyhow - 2 sticks and twist. My $0.02

Good luck

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
I find that doing a btb butterfly first (since I find it easier) really gets me used to working btb...then I just bring them into regular backward swingin and then into the reverse weave.....meh...it's not super cool but it's a start...baby steps right?

Om Namah Sivaya

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Try crossing one behind your back and one in front. It gets you used to passing poi behind you while still having to concentrate on what the other hand is doing. And it looks quite good too.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
ahh... let's just get one thing down before we continute... when learning any of the BTB weaves... your gonna hurt

shoulders... flexibility... girth... what are these words to the wise and experienced? nothing but trivial irrelevant prattle.

it's a LOT easier when you start concentrating on not MOVING YOUR BODY as much to compensate for the poi. Instead, concentrate on MOVING THE POI so they avoid your body. Listen... i can barely touch my ankles when bending down and stretching... and since i lift regularly my arms don't move backwards at all lol

a lot of it just depends on timing and flow, slow it down, don't rush it, speed hurts, no matter what your level. At first you might wiggle like a worm desperately trying to avoid getting smacked, but you gradually learn to maniplate your wrists so that they cause the poi to move around you instead of into you

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

Hangstrupmember
18 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tips everybody! I just got the BTB weave tonight! Gotta tell you; It fells damn sweet.. Well, catch you later, I've got some spinning to do!

(Just had to share, but you know how it is..)