Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > windmill ?! could you help me?

Login/Join to Participate

Inbarmember
7 posts

Posted:
hello people.

i can do the corckscew, but for some reson i cant do the windmill. i tryed to follow the video on the site but i couldnt understand how to do it. could someone help me out?

and oh, there's another thing: i cant understand the meanning of "5 beat". its probably my bad English thats in the way, but could you explain what a "__ beat wave" means?

thanks!!!

DeadManWalkin30member
25 posts

Posted:
Ok try just doing a chase and then turning your body so u are spinning the poi from front to back, and once you do this just let your hands naturally go above your head and back on the upswings. If you wrap your hands you can get more revolutions.

Also a five beat weave, or any other weave is another name for a chase. So a 5 beat would be a chase with 5 total revolutions on each side. 4 would be 4 revolutions on each side, etc.

Fanaticus Incendi -Pyromaniac

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
If you have the corkscrew you are halfway there

Keep bring the circles you are making up higher and higher into the air, so that the top circle is looping above your head like a lassoo (sp?). Okay, the next bit is the tricky bit.

You know when you are doing a butterfly behind the head, how you kinda bend your elbows and drop it behind your neck? Well your arms will be in a similar position with the windmill. So as you bring the lassoo over your head start bending your elbows so it drops down behind your head. You will find that you start making the bottom circle a flat circle in front of you parallel to your chest (rather than parallel to the ground as in a corkscrew).

That is how to gradually make a windmill (I think, let me know if that description really doesn't help you )

Oh, & btw, I have never got the "blah"-beat whatever thingy either

[ 23 May 2002, 12:38: Message edited by: Rozi ]

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Inbarmember
7 posts

Posted:
oh well then, i suppose i better go out there and give it a go...
i promise to let you know how i did, and if your explanation helped..

thanks anyways!
Inbar.

"You will find Adventure or
Adventure will find You" (Lord of the rings)

Inbarmember
7 posts

Posted:
oh well then, i suppose i better go out there and give it a go...
i promise to let you know how i did, and if your explanation helped..

thanks anyways!
Inbar.

"You will find Adventure or
Adventure will find You" (Lord of the rings)

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
for an explanation on these mysterious "beats" you should take a look here.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I learnt the windmill by learning "Chasing the Sun" and then just split-timing it. It's exactly the same movement but with the poi moving one at a time rather than together. Hope this helps

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
thanks for the simple explanation of the Windmill Durbs. I'll give that a go this evening and see if I can do it badly by tomorrow.

Many thanks,
Drew.

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
I just learned the windmill tonight, from Kyrian. The way she showed me made a lot of sense: Do a corkscrew but in a bent over position. Slowly raise yourself up and you go almost naturally into it as you straighten. It's lake taking a corkscrew and turning it on its side. Helped me to close my eyes, too.

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
try this,
do a forward weave as it all comes over to the left side turn 90degs so for an instant the weave is in front of you, then drop the left hand over your head fist and then the next beat bbring the right hand up as you bring the left hand infront of you,
all this is done in the same timing as the weave.

Hope that helps

Spike

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
tried the windmill but my bedroom isn't large enough, it's got good floor space but the ceiling, it's just not high enough. I can manage most moves but the high overhead ones just fail.

So I picked up a broom handle and started learning staff instead.

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*