Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > we all know about wraps. . .

Login/Join to Participate

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
but what about stalls? I mean, wrap the poi, but get them to stall at the end of the wrap. then get them going again and unwrap. has anybody done this? do you even think its worthwhile to try? it seems to be kinda tricky to get them to stop without any slight bounce at the end, and getting out of it smoothly is seeming to be a bitch.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I tried this once, then i caught on fire and never tried it again.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
My friends been working on stalls for a while and I'm slowly getting the hang of them.

He does it without wraps though
e.g. Butterfly (although TTN works better) stall one hand and then start it in the other direction into a weave.
Works backwards aswell, weave -> butterfly/reverse butterfly

The trick is to use your whole arm to make a dunking motion and gradually slow the poi down.
It looks slick as anything especially with fire as there's that split second when the poi is stationary.

Hope this helps

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
yeah, I've done the stopping the poi thing, but I was trying to work on wrap the poi, stall it, change body completely and unwrap. different variations one and two handed. keep one going while I stall one, that sort of thing.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
well, not exactly a stall but, wrapping, and turning with the poi still wrapped produces an effect similar to a stall...

and a butterfly, that changes direction with the stall is a great effect, esp with fire, as it leaves two large flame trails where the poi stopped and reversed direction...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
i'm not sure about doing so with fire poi, but as for actually stalling what you are spinning with glowstix are the best thing to practice with. any wrap you do with a stick ends up being a stall cause they are so light. also i have been using a friends l.e.d. poi set and i can fully pull stalls with them. the trick to a stall is knowing exactly when to pull out of the wrap. if you wait till the stick/poi is almost done with the wrap and pull then you will just be hitting a reverse direction wrap. if you wait till the stick/poi is at the end of the wrap and pull out then it will stop moving and actually "stall".

the trick to pulling out of stalls is all in the timing. i am a west coast raver and have been playin with stix on strings for a little over a year now and timing is everything. i wish everyone luck on thier stalls, they are harder to pull off then they look.

"our love withers here and dies
the story had to end in blood"

"You will not feel pain near the end, my dear
Your memory shall remain with me
As I weep upon your grave
My love...

My love..."

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
I have been learning what is a new wrap for me (probably old for a lot of people though)

It is a double wrap from the weave, as you are weaving on the right hand side (3-beat), instead of bringing the right hand poi back to the left hand side wrap it on your right thigh (lifting leg up) and then immediately after wrap the lh poi on your right calf.

I have found with this wrap that if I turn right I end up back in forwards weave and if I turn left then I go into reverse weave - works with fire and you get a nice brief stall while you are turning.

Mark

addition :

I have also go tthis double elg wrap to work well with both chase the sun and windmill

[ 14 June 2002, 23:11: Message edited by: Mark P ]

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
another stall that I have been trying to learn is one that I have seen performed (by Keda) with really good effect. There is no wrapping involved :-

The Move

start with a standard butterfly in front of you then with one arm, do a giant butterfly motion (nice and slowly) keepint the other poi spinning. The hand doing the giant butterfly motion then crosses over the other arm (about bicep height) and the poi is stalled on the opposite side of the body, (ie if right hand doing giant motion, then stall on LHS of body). Once you have pulled off the stall pulling back in the opposite direction will then naturally progress into a weave

I find this one easier with a nice heavy set of chains as they seem to be easier to stall this is just a variation on the butterfly - bicep wrap - weave move.

I have also been playing with just general stalls like coming out of a forwards weave - stalling both poi behind me - then going back into a reverse weave (also works reverse to forwards).

Also one that I havent quite got as yet but is looking good goes as follows :

mexican wave - as passing left poi over head turn 90° clockwise and you will find the poi should then be spinning in opposite directions, it is then possible to do a stall with one poi in front of you and one behind which I think looks fairly good - from this you could then go into (*dont know move name sorry*) a 360° rotation with arms stretched and then back into a corkscrew or it is also possible to reverse the moves and come back into butterfly

Hope some of these give you some inspiration, I am going to be furiously practicing until Glastonbury now *less than 2 weeks to go!!!!!!*

Mark P