Maxum72member
1 post

Posted:
You know, Poi can get pretty frustrating at times. I have been at it now for about 10 months. I started off with glo-sticks (not knowing what Poi was called, or anything else about it for that matter, I just thought it looked cool and wanted to learn) One night I saw a performer dancing and swinging at a club and was hooked. I now have my fire and doing alot more tricks. Finally to my point. I found that all of the expert or experienced moves have come alot easier to me than some of the basics mentioned in this site. It gets frustrating when you can pull off any move in the advanced catagory but still manage to slam yourself in the "nads" when comming out of the Alternate Butterfly. And dont get me started on Chasing the Sun. No doubt I'm making these simple moves harder than they need to be, but I'm still patient and am certain that they will develop in good time. Any advise?

Welcome to My World!!!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
oh god, chasing the sun....

that move had me so confused... unfortunetly, i'll think on it, but me best advice is, "get a person" they can help.... oh, and chasing teh sun will smooth out ur alternate butterfly a lot...

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Chasing the sun = windmill with the poi (almost) in time. Keep one hand ever so slightly in front of the other. And I know what you mean about the supposedly "beginner" moves. I just can't seem to get the one-handed bf going consistently, no matter how much I practise I've just about given up on it.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
Nope, I'm the same, and my poi are always getting tangled with chasing the sun. It's improved dramatically since I learn the high and low turns as they're pretty much the same move, only half a circle rather than the full thing.

Practice practice practice practice and then you stop for a day or two and then you're back at square one and it's practice practice practice all over again. Oh well, I'm sure we'll all get there some day!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
it's all about the wrist flips really..... if you can do a windmill, sort of take each poi and practice that motion individually in both directions until you can do it easily in your sleep..... your alternate butterfly will suddenly be a ton smoother, and yeah, thanks jephyre, if you put them almost in time you will have chasing the sun. these wrist flips come back to haunt you too....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
for the alt butterfly my advice is:
do the butterfly for 3-4 beats, then flip on hand back, and go back into the butterfly for 3-4 beats and flip the other hand back. Doing this will help you keep the poi in time with each other, which is important for keeping the BF going, and making the alt BF look good. Keep practicing alternating, reducing the beats of BF between the ALT BF until you're only doing the ALT BF. This way, you're reinforcing your BF, and building on a good timing foundation, because, let's face it... it doesn't matter how many tricks you can do if you can't make the transition look smooth.
practice practice practice!!!!

peace
tony

DJacroixlamember
2 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'm not alone. Those damn basic moves are a pain. I just got started about three months ago, and I am having a blast. I need some new moves however, and am having a hard time trying to teach myself. Any advice from the experienced? Or not so experienced? Keep spinnin ya'll

Dance like no one is watching, love like you've never been hurt.....

Earlybirdmember
19 posts

Posted:
My tip for getting rhythmic and in tune with what you are doing is to close your eyes. sometimes it works better by feel - you can feel it when it isn't right. Crank some music too, it helps to have a back beat.
Eyes closed with fire is lush.

let it out, let it go, let it all unravel,
set it free and it can be
a path on which to travel...

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
ok, lol, i know what you mean, but for some reason, i can do chasing the sun no probs and alt butterfly is ok...... but! my younger bro cannot do chasing the sun no matter how hard he tries..... as for me, well, turns out what i thought was the windmill was actually a whole big mess and i was doing it and calling it something else the whole time........ how bizzare.

i learnt chasing the sun on short chains, and then swapped from long to short and back again. I find having two diff length sets of chain REALLY helps me nail a trick.....

now, can anyone give me any help learning threading the needle?

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
*lol* Where's Dom?? He helped me with thread the needle a couple of weeks ago. I really couldn't figure it out even from watching someone, had to actually be taught.

Here is how I would describe the movement. Do the forward butterfly, right hand on top, slightly behind the left hand, and elbows bent. As the poi reach the top of their swing, slide your right hand over and past the left hand so that your right arm is fully extended. As the poi reach the top of the next swing, slide the left over the right hand until it is extended and at the same time bending your right elbow to bring your right hand back to your body and your left arm extended. Alternate the action as the poi reach the top of their swing.

One potato, two potato, as Dom says.

Girmember
9 posts

Posted:
I'm not one to speak, seeing as how I went from the butterfly to the weave, and skipped everything before and in-between. I don't know if there's even a point in this response. But from past entertainment experiences(magic, yo-yoing, juggling -- and I'm only 21 wee), and going through all sorts of forums asking questions.. and people having problems. Would be to learn from the beginning. As someone pointed out, this isn't a race. Start with the basics, and learn by the basics. Look at the poi lessons, and learn them in the order they're posted. Watch a video, but learn them in the order they're shown. They're in that order for a reason.

Sure, half the stuff you go through, doesn't look cool, or doesn't impress people. But imagine the outcome. You need a foundation before you can build a house. You can quote me on that one.

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom doom doom doom doom do-doom doom DOOM..doom doom do-doom doom doom doom

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
A lot of "basic" moves are basic because they are foundation for other moves, not because they are easy. Butterfly is a perfect example. Gir, I did exactly the same thing you did, just skipped to the weave.

HOP Newsletter