Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Butterfly, finally got it!!

Login/Join to Participate

Dynamomember
4 posts

Posted:
Well i got couple of sets of poi to learn this stuff and the boxed collection of COL/COL2 and the Art of Poi. Been trying to get the butterfly move for about 4 weeks now and making absolutley no progress. Anyway last night i came home a little worse for wear and decided to have a go with my fluorescent poi, in the dark. The move just came so natural, i figured that my problem was that i was trying to move my whole body & shoulders because i was watching what my wrists were doing. In the darkness i couldn't see what my wrists were doing although i could definatley feel they were in the right place. Anyway i tried again this morning and the move was spot on, i find it much easier to look at yourself in a mirror rather than looking at your wrists to see if u have the action right. Hope this gives a little encouragement to anyone stuck getting the butterfly.
Cheers :-)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Congratulations!

Remember, keep your wrists facing UP!

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Excellent.

Paraffinmember
10 posts

Posted:
I find that I'm always jerking my lower hand down to stop the upper chain from hitting it...is this right or wrong?

burn burn burn burn burn burn burnburn burn

Dynamomember
4 posts

Posted:
Hi Paraffin,
I think that's probably wrong, once you are in the butterfly you keep your wrists facing up and one wrist sitting on the wrist of the other, slightly offset though, the wrist movement should be fluid. If you've got the art of poi video then try frame freezing Diane's instruction to see how the wrists should be.
Cheers
Leon

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
i dont quite agree with you dynamo, cuz when im doing the buterfly my hands are palm down, side by side, and it works just fine

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
To do a butterfly your hands don't have to be facing up. It makes it easier for sure, but once you already do know how to do a butterfly your palms can be facing whatever which way and you'll still be able to do it.